Niagara's 1970 Team by Mike Samuels

Discuss Niagara Sports
phillyeagle
Purple Eagle

Re: Niagara's 1970 Team by Mike Samuels

Post by phillyeagle »

Class of 71 so I was there. Had 2 classes with Murph who was always friendly. Drove to both the Princeton regional game and the Sweet 16 Regional in Columbia SC in a small caravan. Also saw the long awaited victory against Bona in 1971. That was huge since NU never beat Bona in over 10+/- years. Those were special times at NU but we all took it for granted. NU was Big time.
ppittin
Pigeon

Post by ppittin »

Class of 1969 here. Murphy was a year behind me. I never missed a game until after graduation. In 1970 I was in the Air Force in Texas and picked up the Tennessee Game on a small radio. It was like being back at school. NU upset the Vols, it was great...then reality set in the next morning. Back to AIT. It was a great 4 years at NU, especially the 3 years Murphy was there.

Another memory--I'm from Rochester. NU Frosh played John Fisher varsity at the Rochester War Memorial---probably 1966 or 67. War memorial was full. No shot clock back then, so Fisher goes to 4 corner stall. When NU got the ball back Murphy put on a show keeping the ball away from Fisher. Meadow Lark Lemon would have been proud!! NU won but the people who came to see Murphy were cheated by Fisher stall.

It was a great time to be at Niagara.
le
Purple Eagle

Post by le »

Those were great posts pitten and philly eagle ! Thanks !
NU1971
Eagle

Post by NU1971 »

Philly Eagle......the win over Bona was at the Aud, as you recall. I was on the court, blowing "charges" on my trumpet, next to the cheerleaders. Do you recall a Bona fan tearing down a handmade sign that our cheerleaders had put up in the upper section?
When I saw that, I got angry and vowed revenge. I asked a friend (now a PhD professor) to keep an eye on the guy who tore the sign......I went to the concession stand and bought a large drink, ran up the ramps to the top section where the guy was sitting. I signaled to my friend, who saw me and he directed me to the right guy. I walked up behind him and doused him with soda, then ran like hell back to the court. I traded my Purple Eagles shirt for a sweater to "hide". The guy came downstairs with a cop, walking right by me and never picked me out. Sweet revenge AND victory!!
The statute of limitations on assault has passed.
le
Purple Eagle

Post by le »

traded my Purple Eagles shirt for a sweater to "hide". The guy came downstairs with a cop, walking right by me and never picked me out. Sweet revenge AND victory!!
The statute of limitations on assault has passed
Great story 71! There is nothing like revenge !!! This is very similar to my roomie ( Eagle’s cuz ) getting suckered by a Bonnies student in the NFCC parking lot after a game. The coward ran away… Of course , beer was not a factor.
NU1971
Eagle

Post by NU1971 »

le- I was there for his varsity years, so missed freshman year when he averaged 48.6, if my memory is correct. Saw his first varsity game vs. LIU that was featured in Sports Illustrated. He scored 41 in that debut. The team lost. LIU had a good team with big man Luther Green leading the way. I was in the ROTC/pep band, and later with the cheerleaders and drummers so we always were courtside or first row on the court at the end line.

Going to the games was the best thing about school. Watching him fly down the court to the corner, turn at the last second and drain the shot; seeing him run by guys while drilbbling, faking out the opposition, shooting over players 4-10 inches taller. I used to say the only way you could tell the ball went through the hoop was that the bottom of the net moved. Seemed like every shot was nothing but net.

In his first varsity season Murphy turned his ankle and was on crutches. For a very short time, I was a team manager (quit for the academic credit of ROTC band due to time conflict). Calvin was shooting free throws on a side hoop from a chair. I challenged him and he accepted. He first was headed to do something downstairs, and fell on the stairs with his crutches. So it appears he didn't defeat me in a free throw contest.....nor did we ever get to have our competition.
le
Purple Eagle

Post by le »

Calvin was shooting free throws on a side hoop from a chair. I challenged him and he accepted. He first was headed to do something downstairs, and fell on the stairs with his crutches. So it appears he didn't defeat me in a free throw contest.....nor did we ever get to have our competition.
Funny as heck. A missed opportunity at fame of sorts by saying u defeated Murph in a free throw contest.