NU Hockey Coach--College Hockey News says ...

Discuss Niagara Sports
le
Purple Eagle

NU Hockey Coach--College Hockey News says ...

Post by le »

Efkay , please feel free to post your reports from Chicago.

Frozen Four, Chicago, April 6 and 8

• Minnesota Duluth vs. Harvard, 5 p.m. CDT, ESPN2

• Denver vs. Notre Dame, 8:30 p.m. CDT, ESPN2

• National championship, 7 p.m. CDT, ESPN

Read more: http://www.uscho.com/2017/03/19/here-ar ... z4dOCM1Cgp
le
Purple Eagle

Re: Efkay's Frozen Four log from Chicago

Post by le »

Bump
jhart
Purple Eagle

Post by jhart »

1-1 MN-DULUTH V HARVARD W 4:30 to go in 3rd
jhart
Purple Eagle

Post by jhart »

Mn-Duluth wins 2-1 with a goal with 26 seconds in 3rd. Great finish.
efkay2u
Purple Eagle

Post by efkay2u »

Watching the final dribs of the Denver Notre Dame game at my hotel. It has been a day here in Cicago.

Basically in the second game Notre Dame out classed the Irish, and made them look like a very weak four seed. Sabres draft choice goalie Cal Petersen was extremely unimpressive. I believe 3 of Denver's goals were passing to a winger on the open side of the net after Petersen had already committed. Cal Petersen was extremely unimpressive,

Harvard and Duluth was everything and more. Great goaltending by Harvard goalie Merrick Madsen. Duluth's first two games in the playoffs were OT wins, this was as close to an Overtime win as possible as Eden N.Y.'s Alex Iafallo finally snuck the puck under Madsen for the game winner.

Three of the Frozen Four had players from Buffalo. Besides Iafallo from that hockey hotbed of Eden (home of mike Benedict and Kevin Ryan), Harvard had Sean Malone from West Seneca, and besides Sabres' Petersen , there is also Dennis Gilbert , so apparently there is local talent to be had and signed. Iafallo played with Vinny Muto, and Army's Parker Gahagen before college called.

Speaking of Madsen, The couple sitting next to me said they met a former Niagara player at their hotel named Tim Madsen. It's probably been reported but Tim finished his first year as head coach of Tier 2 NAHL Minnesota Wilderness in Duluth. I told the couple if they see him tell him Niagara has an opening. Later on in the evening between games I think I saw him in the hallway. He saw my NU sweatshirt and remarked Yeah NU! Go NU! .

I'm wrapping up as I am whipped, All night train ride, (not bad, business class leather seat) and two hockey games (well almost). Be assured that I got good response from my NU getup, including from another coupl,e sitting by me from Denver who quizzed me about if we hired anew coach yet, Also interacted with some Air Force fans who sympathized with our plight and said things will turn around quickly at NU.

One more thing, per ESPN the Frozen Four will be in Buffalo 2020,. It will be announced next week. 2018 is in St. Paul. Boston and Detroit are on tap for 2019 and 2021. On day one, have one game at 2 p.m., the second at 7p.m. with a dinner break. Two Hockey Games with an hour in between makes for a loooonnnng day! ,
le
Purple Eagle

Post by le »

Efkay: Thanks MUCH for the update from he F4 in Chicago. The ending of the Minny-D and Harvard game was certainly a thriller as Harvard had numerous grade A opps to tie the game of up.

I was wondering how you would compare the level of play on the ice at the F4 to what u observe in the AHC, especially NU ? My impression is these teams play with more speed, skill and are more physical compared to the middle and lower tier of the AHC. It was great hockey in game 1. Denver is going to be a tough out.

I kinda of forgot about Tim Madsen. I'm sure old 5 hole would insist he deserves an interview. He was one of Burky's better recruiters during the "winning" days at NU.
Millsy
Eagle

Post by Millsy »

Future Frozen Fours:

2018 St. Paul (known)
2019 Detroit (rumored but not announced)
2020 Buffalo (rumored but not announced)
2021 Boston (rumored but not announced)
2022 Pittsburgh (rumored but not announced)
efkay2u
Purple Eagle

Post by efkay2u »

le,, thanks !

My seats are up in the 3rd row of the upper deck behind the net, so I can really see the game from an entirely different aspect. There is exceptional talent, players anticipating the plays, using the boards to carom the puck to another player. It is a change to see players shoot the puck instead of passing the puck . Denver, Duluth and Harvard are way above Niagara. This season, Canisius, Air Force , Robert Morris could give these teams a challenge, yet the talent level in the AHC is still inferior. Hopefully with the scholarships increasing the chasm will be closed. The way Denver manhandled Notre Dame was reminiscent of watching Niagara getting butt whipped by Ohio State and Penn State, both NCAA tournament teams. In the old days Niagara would have given these teams a tussle also. Oh how far we have fallen, very humbling.

Just a couple of notes. I lived in Chicago for a while in 1978-79, yet never realized isolated the United Center (at hat time the old Stadium) was from Downtown. I always thought you could take a subway or el , however there is no transit except for bus service. It's about a $13.00 cab ride from my Hotel . Last night upon advice of my cab driver I left at the 2nd period to try and catch a cab. It took me about 1/2 hour to chase down a cab. You still don't want to walk in the neighborhood. It would be similar to putting an arena in Niagara Falls out on Falls St and Portage Rd. if that helps. Once inside it's a great venue.

Last night I was thinking about the hiring process for coaches at N.U and how there now seems to be no consideration to the past for candidates. Tim Madsen, Greg Gardner should be considered for Hockey ( I know I'm missing some other ex hockey players now coaching), Basketball , how many ex players or Asst coaches would be candidates. I would think there would be input from us N.U. alumni and supporters who would have some idea of the history and legacy of the programs .

Denver should win, especially of they get a jump om Duluth. It seems with Duluth, slow and steady wins the race so if the longer they stay in the game, the better the chance for Alex Iafallo to score a game winner.
le
Purple Eagle

Post by le »

Efkay. Great reporting from Chicago. My sense is the level of play is far superior to what I have seen in the AHC over the years. Hopefully, when the full scholarships kick in, the League can close the gap with the teams from the major conferences...I have noticed a ton of jerseys in the crowd at the F4. It seems as if it has become a destination point for college hockey fans from all different regions in the country...My guess is NU has probably passed on hiring from within and or a former alum just due to the time frame involved. If they were going to go with Moreau and not interview other candidates, there would have been announcemment by now...If I were a betting man, I would take the Pioneers tonight .
efkay2u
Purple Eagle

Post by efkay2u »

AMong other jersies in the hallways Thurs I saw Sacred Heart, Bentley, RIT, Air Force Alabama Huntsville, and Bemidji ST among others.