NU Hockey Coach--College Hockey News says ...

Discuss Niagara Sports
NewEnglander
Purple Eagle

Re: Efkay's Frozen Four log from Chicago

Post by NewEnglander »

efkay2u, totally agree with you on Denver being a heavy favorite and your statement of the longer Minn-Duluth stays in the game that their chance improves dramatically since they seem to have the luck of the bounce this entire season with 14 one goal wins. I really don't like Duluth's rough and tumble style and would have preferred to see a better skating team like Harvard take on Denver. Do you have priority status for tickets from previous frozen 4's? If so my guess is you are around 6 from your seat location. I have a priority of 11 now I believe and my brother is there now sitting in row 2 between the goal line and face off circle in the balcony. With those future Frozen 4's in Buffalo, Boston and Pittsburgh I'm sure I will make a few of those. Detroit is good for those in western NY too.
MICKEY
Purple Eagle

Post by MICKEY »

Curious and/or just not paying attention but has there been any more talk about who might replace Notre Dame in Hockey East?
le
Purple Eagle

Post by le »

Qpac or the Cross if they commit to playing at the DUC.
efkay2u
Purple Eagle

Post by efkay2u »

Classic, entertaining game tonight. Pioneers came out dominating the offense, Hunter Miska Duluth's goalie was all he was advertised keeping the Bulldogs in the game and the Pioneers' shots out of the net during the 1st period. All the Denver offense in the 2nd was courtesy of Forward Jarid Lukosevicius who scored a natural hat trick. The last player to score a natural hat trick in the Championship game? Jim Montgomery in 1993 . Montgomery happens to be the Denver Head Coach. Alix Iafallo from Eden, N.Y. got the Bulldogs on the board in the 2nd, As the 2nd period ended Duluth started to kick it in gear and dominated the Pioneers in the 3rd period. The game was held up for about 10 minutes as Denver's Tariq Hammond was taken off the ice on a stretcher after a serious leg injury. Duluth dominated the Pioneers, outshooting Denver 17 to 3 in the 3rd and 40-28 overall.

Duluth has shown to get stronger as the game wears down in the tourney and without Denvers, goalie Tanner Jaillett out come have been different. Duluth did score with 5:21 remaining to bring the deficit down to one goal, however even with Miska pulled Pioneer managed to hang on for a 3-2 victory and their 8th Championship. They are second to Michigan who have 9 championships.

A taut thriller with an edge of your seat last period. Tomorrow maybe the Chisox game or just sightseeing in this great city. before heading home on the Lake Shore Ltd.
le
Purple Eagle

Post by le »

Efkay your game report is spot as Denver held on long enough for the W. UMD was really coming on late wearing them down physically. 8 national titles for UD. The F4 seemed like a smashing success in Chicago with a sold out building for both nights. I never realized Chicago was such a big hockey community besides the Black Hawks. Having future F4s in Detroit , Boston and Buffalo makes perfect sense based on the elevated interest in hockey in these areas...Let's hope by the first part of next week after Easter , we have some resolution on the NU vacancy.
Suge
Purple Eagle

Post by Suge »

I don't know how if there is any truth to it but NU is reportedly moving forward with second interviews. Jason Lammers, Ethan Moreau and Blaise MacDonald are the guys, according to Jeff Cox. Again, I'll defer to the hockey guys in determining the credibility of the info.

https://twitter.com/JeffCoxSports/statu ... 7788795905
le
Purple Eagle

Post by le »

Not sure who the top 3 candidates are but BM would be an excellent hire. Interviews are this week on campus for the three final candidates.
Suge
Purple Eagle

Post by Suge »

le wrote:Not sure who the top 3 candidates are but BM would be an excellent hire. Interviews are this week on campus for the three final candidates.
According to the tweet, the final three are Lammers, Moreau and MacDonald. le, if true, how would you rate the final three?
NuStudent
Purple Eagle

Re: Efkays log, interviews this week at NU

Post by NuStudent »

I like Lammers just because he is a fresh face. Looking at what he's done as an assistant at UMass- Lowell and other, places, it seems like he has a ton of good experience. The team he is coaching now in the USHL seems like they have been a top team for the 2 years he has been head coach.
le
Purple Eagle

Re: Efkays log, interviews this week at NU

Post by le »

Lammers seems uniquely qualified coming from the USHL which is the" best "junior hockey program in the US. He also served as an associate head coach at Umass-Lowell that advanced to the F4 under Basin. Obviously, I'm biased towards Blaise M, if he is indeed is a finalist for the position. Moreau is a former NHL player who was associated with one of the weakest programs in D1. He may be a dynamic individual but I'm skeptical just based on his connections to a failed program. Just my gut , I would think Lammers or BM would do just fine as HC at NU. BM has proven he is winner by placing NU in the top 10 while Lammers has demonstrated success in Hockey East and the USHL.
Just to reiterate , I have no confirm on the identities of the three finalists for this HC position. NU cannot make a mistake on this particular hire as the future of the program is at stake .