MICKEY
Purple Eagle

Re: Frozen 4 in Buffalo--2019

Post by MICKEY »

efkay2u
Purple Eagle

Post by efkay2u »

Very impressive for my City. Makes me proud. ALso impressed that the D-3 Hockey Tourney will be held in the Harbor Center in 2020. Probably Buffalo State will be Host School. In the past several D3 Men's Basketball Championships were held at Buff State. I also find it interesting that Atlantic Hockey doesn't seem to be involved in hosting the sessions in Bridgeport (Fairfield is a host school? Is there something we don't know? ). For Buffalo the MAAC is shown as hosting the tourney. Apparently Atlantic Hockey has no interest in promoting itself in the biggest showcase for College Hockey. Why is Allentown hosting two consecutive years of Regionals . Are they or one of the Universities in the Lehigh Valley trying to raise a profile in College Hockey ?
le
Purple Eagle

Post by le »

I'm a little confused, why is the MAAC involved in negotiations to secure the F4 in Buffalo, and not the AHC?
Is the AHC that disorganized incapable of negotiating and presenting a package to the NCAA? There must be more to this story.
Canisius and Niagara serve as the host schools for the Frozen Four and the NCAA basketball event.
Millsy
Eagle

Post by Millsy »

You don't have to be a hockey school or even a hockey league to host the Frozen Four. Navy hosted the 2009 Frozen Four in D.C.

All you have to do is be willing to do the work for the NCAA and get them the $$$ that they demand.
le
Purple Eagle

Post by le »

If that is the case, then obviously Ensor and the MAAC have far more interaction and influence with the NCAA compared to the AHC. Makes sense.
efkay2u
Purple Eagle

Post by efkay2u »

_BUMP- :D
MICKEY
Purple Eagle

Post by MICKEY »

I think it might just be Ensor likes the buffet at the cocktail parties more!
le
Purple Eagle

Post by le »

Let's give Rich some credit where credit is due . He certainly gets around and keeps the MAAC in the conversation against the backdrop of Big East and the A10. Honestly , I firmly believe the league is now facing a survival crisis with the pilferging which is taking place with so many players exiting for brighter lights. In order to be successful, programs may have to follow the Iona model inclusive of transfers and jucos to remain competitive.
MICKEY
Purple Eagle

Post by MICKEY »

The bigger question is how will many of the MAAC schools succeed in the NYS free tuition era and will they be able to compete at the D-1 level. Even the MAAC schools outside of New York look to it as a source of students. Only QPac, Marist and Fairfield have decent endowments, competitive campuses and strong academic credentials to lure higher income students.