Oakland University may add D1 Men's and Women's Hockey

Discuss Niagara Sports
NewEnglander
Purple Eagle

Oakland University may add D1 Men's and Women's Hockey

Post by NewEnglander »

http://www.uscho.com/2017/10/16/detroit ... ns-hockey/

Significant because:
1) In the footprint for a possible new Midwest league as it is in a Detroit suburb.
2) No other Women's teams in Michigan but there are at Mercyhurst, RIT and Robert Morris in the CHA
Millsy
Eagle

Re: Oakland University may add D1 Men's and Women's Hockey

Post by Millsy »

I don't see it getting off the ground. Wayne State gave it a run in the CHA with men's and women's hockey in the Detroit Metro area and ended up folding.

In the Detroit area, it seems if you aren't the pros, Michigan or Michigan State, you don't matter.
barry81
Duck

Post by barry81 »

I disagree. Oakland University located in Rochester, MI is in the heart of Oakland County, Michigan's wealthy county with strong leadership. OU does a good job with their athletic programs. Both resident students and commuters from Oakland County.
Detroit is hockey town, and outside of Minnesota, Michigan is a hockey state.
Challenge will be a rink, however plenty of land in Auburn Hills, Troy, Rochester if they want to build new. In addition, Fraser Arena for games is not far and has a bowl, main rink that Wayne State used to play in. For practice, the Troy Sports Center has 4 rinks plus state of the art workout facility.

BTW, Illinios will move forward. In a City of Champaign/private money partnership, The City is building a new mixed use ice facility to house U of I hockey.
Eagle
Purple Eagle

Post by Eagle »

Is NU positioning itself., taking the right steps to be a lead tenant for a new NF arena?

A new arena in downtown Champaign?
Tue, 07/18/2017
by Tom Kacich

http://www.news-gazette.com/news/local/ ... paign.html#

CHAMPAIGN — The largest single development in Champaign history is being proposed for a different site near downtown Champaign and also could include a sports facility for possible use by University of Illinois athletic teams.

http://www.news-gazette.com/news/local/ ... paign.html
le
Purple Eagle

Post by le »

Michigan is Hockey Town USA--Makes sense to me, but the question is what league would they fit into ?
Millsy
Eagle

Post by Millsy »

le wrote:Michigan is Hockey Town USA--Makes sense to me, but the question is what league would they fit into ?
No, Warroad, MN is the real Hockey Town USA...... :D

http://history.vintagemnhockey.com/page ... eytown-usa
le
Purple Eagle

Post by le »

Remember Henry Boucha--Detroit Red Wings ?
Millsy
Eagle

Post by Millsy »

le wrote:Remember Henry Boucha--Detroit Red Wings ?
He was a Warroad Warrior first, and I believe he still lives there. I never saw him play (I was born during his NHL Career), but have heard stories. One of the best is that in High School, he very seldom left the ice. He would play his forward position and then when his linemates needed a break, he would rotate back to D until his line shift came back up.

It would have been interesting to see what his career would have held if not for they eye injury he received in a high sticking assault against the Bruins......
le
Purple Eagle

Post by le »

Yes, his career ended tragically due to a vicious high sticking incident against the Boo Birds. He was one of the STRONGEST players on his skates I ever saw play in the NHL. Nobody could knock him off his skates when he had the puck, nor could any good knock him off his feet when he did not have the puck. One tough cookie and a highly skilled center iceman.