WCHA/AHA Invitational

Discuss Niagara Sports
Millsy
Eagle

WCHA/AHA Invitational

Post by Millsy »

So, had this idea in my head, wonder if anyone else has thought about it and if it would fly. How about a WCHA/AHA Challenge Invitational between the old CHA teams? BSU, UAH, Bobby Mo and Niagara in a set schedule (ie, not bracketed). BSU vs Bobby Mo and UAH vs Niagara on day one and then BSU vs Niagara and UAH vs Bobby Mo on day two, as an example (the host school would always play the evening game both nights to help with the gate). That way, intraconference matchups are avoided. Set up a four year rotation for hosting between the schools. Could even break out one of the old trophies to hand out to the winner. Tie breakers would have to be set up since it isn't a bracket tournament. But hey, it could be fun, I would probably even travel for it!
Eagle
Purple Eagle

Re: WCHA/AHA Invitational

Post by Eagle »

Great idea!
efkay2u
Purple Eagle

Post by efkay2u »

I will drink to that idea! UAH always brought three or four busloads of fans up to Niagara for their games with us. I wish we still played UAH and they were in our league!! Hope someone will take up the initiative.
Millsy
Eagle

Post by Millsy »

Bantering it around on Facebook and over on USCHO, would the incentive be there for Robert Morris and Bemidji? Both schools already get pretty nice non-conference schedules against the bigger dogs. Would eliminating two games from those non-league games be made up for with this tournament? Not sure on Niagara's situation, and for UAH, they would get two guaranteed home non-conference games every four years.

It would be fun though!
le
Purple Eagle

Post by le »

Good concept but under the current AHC scheduling agreement, members only have "5" OCC games. I'm not sure how this would fit in and then there is the COST of travel and or a neutral site. Why not in Buffalo?
Millsy
Eagle

Post by Millsy »

le wrote:Good concept but under the current AHC scheduling agreement, members only have "5" OCC games. I'm not sure how this would fit in and then there is the COST of travel and or a neutral site. Why not in Buffalo?
I think the only chance you have to get everyone on board and make it successful is to rotate it among the teams and their home rinks. Having seen what happened with the North Star Cup in Minnesota being played at a neutral site (Xcel Energy Center in St. Paul), I don't see a Classic between Bemidji, Huntsville, Niagara and Robert Morris being successful at a neutral site. The rent of an arena alone would probably be cost prohibitive.