The WCHA As We Now Know It Could Be Dead

Discuss Niagara Sports
MICKEY
Purple Eagle

Re: The WCHA As We Now Know It Could Be Dead

Post by MICKEY »

Travel cost and time would be a little greater but on the other hand attendance revenue should rise too. Bridgeport, Ct (Sacred Heart) is a 7 1/2 hour bus ride, Sauté Ste Marie, Mi (Lake Superior State) is only an hour and a half further. Ferris State and Bowling Green are about the same distance or closer than West Point and the New England schools. Without question the other UP schools are further but still a bus ride. The Minny schools would require air travel. My gut tells me hotel rates are lower in Mi and Mn than New England. One might also think about the future of the NE schools, HC is rumored as a Hockey East prospect and while two of the other three have a much improved product on the ice, their attendance figures haven’t changed much and the sustainability of one of the schools has to be at least be questioned. Increasing the geographic scope of our student recruiting base might also be considered. Not lobbying for a change but I think an honest analysis should be considered. Question: does Air Force reimburse us for travel costs?
Millsy
Eagle

Post by Millsy »

I love this statement by bale31 over on the SiouxSports.com message board. One team has joined D-I college hockey in these seven years, Arizona State. Yes, others have or are exploring, but only one team has made the move.

"....one of the positives that people have liked to point out over the last 7ish years is that the breakup of the old WCHA and CCHA and formation of BTHC and NCHC created all sorts of supposed opportunity to spawn new programs. Fast forward 7 years and no one wants to allow anyone new into their conferences. Big Ten has a superiority complex. The NCHC has a fear of others bringing them down. The WCHA has real financial issues. So, what opportunity is really is there for expansion? To go independent?

I guess this just leads me back to the point I tried to make in my original post.... college hockey lost it's innocence when all of these changes started. There is no "greater good of college hockey" any longer, if there ever was. Many of us idealized what college hockey was and it isn't that any more. It's all about how much money can go into each individual college's pockets. It's just unfortunate."
Millsy
Eagle

Post by Millsy »

We will see if I can get all of this from over on USCHO regarding the chance of a veto override in Alaska:

There was a pissing match earlier about whether the special session should be in Juneau or Wasilla. The Democrats felt it should be in the capital, Juneau, the Republicans and Governor wanted it in Wasilla. Sounds like the Governor called it in Wasilla.

Only 38 members are present in Wasilla. They need 45 votes out of 60 to override, or 75% of the total legislative body.

No one has spoken in favor of the governor's veto. Even Republicans are bashing him.

Doesn't look like the veto will get overridden, unless the 22 sitting in Juneau show up in the next two days in Wasilla......

Edit: I might have my towns flip flopped, trying to follow all of the twists and turns is mind boggling...... Either way, 22 members of the body stayed where they wanted the special session. By not having a quorum, any vote taken does not count.....
Eagle
Purple Eagle

Post by Eagle »

Millsy.
There is no "greater good of college hockey" any longer, if there ever was. Many of us idealized what college hockey was and it isn't that any more. It's all about how much money can go into each individual college's pockets. It's just unfortunate.
"

That's pretty much the deal in all sports and all human endeavors, nowadays. Unfortunate and it parallels the death of the middle class--gotta get the middle class back and won't happen until we elect better legislators (both Dem & GOP) and get big money out of politics, IMO.
le
Purple Eagle

Post by le »

Anything new on the plight of the UAH program?

Actually ,we are now living a mere 45 minutes from Huntsville, AL. It's all Vols and BAMA here. I'm actually looking forward to attending a few UAH games this year.
MICKEY
Purple Eagle

Post by MICKEY »

Here is a statement from UAH from USCHO:

https://www.uscho.com/2019/07/01/alabam ... a-changes/
MICKEY
Purple Eagle

Penn Hockey?

Post by MICKEY »

The headline was intriguing but the numbers at the end of the article tell a different story. Here I thought they had a multimillion dollar gift and we had a seventh Ivy League hockey team. Also from USCHO:

https://www.uscho.com/2019/07/11/penn-a ... men-women/
le
Purple Eagle

Post by le »

Maybe if Penn decides to fund "2" D1 programs a new Ivy League is possible. What would become of the ECAC League? Would several AHC teams bolt to the ECAC ?

New Ivy League

Yale
Harvard
Brown
Dartmouth
Princeton
Penn
Cornell

ECAC

QU
Clarkson
SLU
Union
CGate
RPI
MICKEY
Purple Eagle

Post by MICKEY »

I just hope we don’t wake up one morning and find out Canisius, Mercyhurst and Robert Morris joined the WCHA and RIT joined the ECAC after Qpac joins Hockey East. Did I read the article about Penn wrong, are they really trying to raise only S0 thousand dollars or should the story have read 50 million dollars. Heck $50K is pocket change to some Penn alumni, why even for some Niagara alumni for that matter. particularly some of those guys and gals from the class of ‘69.
le
Purple Eagle

Post by le »

Right, the investment dollars committed by Penn seemed to be not in the "D1 range" . Poor article .