The WCHA As We Now Know It Could Be Dead

Discuss Niagara Sports
le
Purple Eagle

Re: The WCHA As We Now Know It Could Be Dead

Post by le »

Found this :
Many of the discussions, as informal as they'd been so far, involved a variety of Atlantic Hockey schools, such as ones close to the Midwest like Merchyhurst and Robert Morris. But nothing had yet come to pass.

https://www.collegehockeynews.com/news/ ... -Plans.php
Millsy
Eagle

Post by Millsy »

So, I was busy with some home improvements over the weekend, but figured I should update on the Alaska situation based on accounts from USCHO.

The Alaska Legislature was unable to override the Governor's veto. The 22 Republicans and the Governor stayed in Wasilla during the whole time and avoided the debate and vote. The 38 Legislators that did meet in Juneau couldn't really do much as they did not have the 45 votes needed to override the veto. The 38 contemplated the idea of going to Wasilla to force a vote, but it was felt if a vote happened anywhere other than Juneau, which the Constitution dictated, it would have ended up in court and probably would have invalidated any override. Part of the Governor's plan all along???? Hmmm.....

On Monday, the University of Alaska Board of Regents met to discuss how to handle cutting $135 million out of the budget (again, 41%). Athletics was not brought up until the very end, and it sounds like it will be a target of cuts, just not sure how much (it was noted that athletics loses $14.5 million a year in the UA System, not sure if that is true). There is talk of closing campus and closing programs. Another area that was brought up was getting rid of redundancy of majors, which makes sense. If a major in education is offered at more than one campus, then that major would be shuttered at all campuses but one. How much that would save, it wasn't clear. The Board gave themselves until July 30th to come up with a plan and then will meet again.
MICKEY
Purple Eagle

Post by MICKEY »

It was my understanding before Alabama Huntsville moved to D1 for hockey they were a suceesful D2 or D3 program. Who did they play then?
le
Purple Eagle

Post by le »

Millsy - What schools do you think the "Renegade 7" will pursue when they form a new league. ROMO and Mercyhurst are mentioned in the CHN article.

Mick: I have no idea who UAH played prior to their D1 status with the old CHA.
efkay2u
Purple Eagle

Post by efkay2u »

IMO if Mercyhurst and or Romo became renegades, they would have to do some upgrading and expansion of their facillites. . Romo s arena really has no where to expand and seats only around 1500 (like Niagara ). Mercyhurst unless they have made major improvements in the past 2 years is very outdated and the league's worst arena. There is little parking there and outdated restrooms/ concessions also. Both are 3 sided arenas.

Holy Cross would likely have to move to downtown Woostah s arena if they upgraded to Hockey East, however I heard rumors several years ago a move was likely.

I don't know if there is a minimum seating capacity for this new league, however NIagara, the hurst, Romo and possibly Canisius all have capacities under 2000 . To beat a dead horse again and again, Niagara really blew it with Dwyer.

le, anad anyone else who is interest , I can try e mailing some pictures of Romo, and the hurst as well as some other arenas, if I can.
Millsy
Eagle

Post by Millsy »

My money is on St. Thomas in the Twin Cities. They have had a very successful program in D-III, so successful that their conference has voted them out after this year. Most likely they would upgrade their athletic department to D-II (same D-II conference as Bemidji, St. Cloud, Duluth, Mankato, the NSIC), and since D-II does not offer an NCAA Championship in hockey, they can declare that hockey will play D-I right away.

UAH would be my next best guess as long as they can get their new arena squared away with the Crimson Tide Board of Trustees.

Robert Morris and Mercyhurst, in my opinion, will not be. Their arenas are too small (the current WCHA mandates at least 2500) and with AHA now allowing teams to offer the full 18 scholarships, there really is no reason to bolt. When all the previous realignment happened and those two teams were thrown around, it was because AHA did not allow the full compliment of scholarships.
Millsy
Eagle

Post by Millsy »

le wrote:Millsy - What schools do you think the "Renegade 7" will pursue when they form a new league. ROMO and Mercyhurst are mentioned in the CHN article.

Mick: I have no idea who UAH played prior to their D1 status with the old CHA.
UAH played a mismash of D-II and D-III teams from the east coast in the D-II days. And then it came down to them and Bemidji, who played in the D-III NCHA, in the D-II Championship, usually. BSU played Mercyhurst twice for the D-II title in the 90s, and UAH four time in the 90s. One year their schedule was so unbalanced that they played something like 27 home games and 5 road games, had an insane record and got to host the D-II title series. BSU beat them in the VBC for the hardware.
MICKEY
Purple Eagle

Post by MICKEY »

The University of St Thomas might be the best kept secret in Catholic academia, at least in the northeast.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Univers ... Minnesota)
Millsy
Eagle

Post by Millsy »

The Alaska Board of Regents just held their intermediate meeting, voted 10-1 to start Financial Exigency process. It is hard to imagine that athletics will survive this year when a large number of academic programs and tenured professors are going to get the axe......
le
Purple Eagle

Post by le »

So if the two Alaska schools are being downgraded or abolished , what becomes of UAH? I would seriously doubt without conference affiliation , the Crimson Tide Admin would consider approving the new on campus arena. What D1 league would UAH’s basketball team be affiliated with ? Any discussion ?