The WCHA As We Now Know It Could Be Dead

Discuss Niagara Sports
efkay2u
Purple Eagle

Re: The WCHA As We Now Know It Could Be Dead

Post by efkay2u »

UAH is still D II in all other sports. I think outside of Huntsville the attitude in that god forsaken state is, as the scottish would say, " If it's nee Bleeding Crimson Tide Red or AUburn, it's crap! " (sorry)

incidentally found this website which gves great info on Universities, : https://www.collegefactual.com/colleges ... fe/sports/

For your info, here is info on Niagara : https://www.collegefactual.com/colleges ... fe/sports/
le
Purple Eagle

Post by le »

UAB Birmingham had a pretty decent team in college hoops over the years . Remember when Bartow was coach ? I think UAB advanced to that F4 or something like that. Why would UAH build a new 5k arena campus to compete at a D2 level in hoops? Makes no sense. I’m sure they could possibly join the ASUN league with Florida Gulf, Liberty, etc.

I agree the right thing to do would offer UAH an invite to the AHC. However , I’m not convinced the League Office has enough ambition or insight to extend an invite. How close is Navy to committing to D1?
MICKEY
Purple Eagle

Post by MICKEY »

I don't see AHA schools taking on the expense and lost academic time to go to Huntsville. You could probably count UAH alums in WNY on one hand...OK maybe two.
le
Purple Eagle

Post by le »

Mick. All the western schools in the AHC travel to New England and West Point . Also, all of the AHC schools travel to Air Force once a year. Would the Bama trip be that much of a time bender. Huntsville and Nashville are pretty “happening areas “with massive growth in population unlike WNY.
NewEnglander
Purple Eagle

Post by NewEnglander »

I've talked about Hockey East possibly adding another team and have been focusing mainly on Holy Cross. While others think it may be Quinnipiac I think Holy Cross is almost a lock for it. A point many don't realize is that Holy Cross is already in Hockey East on the Women's side. In fact of the Women's teams only Holy Cross is not on the Men's side and only UMass and UMass-Lowell from the Men's side do not have Women's teams. It is only a matter of time I believe.
Millsy
Eagle

Post by Millsy »

Looks like there is a proposal by the Alaskan Legislature to reinstate $110 million to the University in exchange for a dividend check of $1600 (I think right now it is set for $600). People following it aren't sure which way the governor will go as he wants at least $3000 per person for dividend checks.
le
Purple Eagle

Post by le »

Millsy : What is the scuttle re the "7 WCHA schools" that are breaking away? Obviously, the two Alaska schools and UAH will not be part of their new league and will have to pursue Indy status, or pursue other league membership. I can't imagine any league being interested in UAA and UA due to geographical isolation. The WCHA is DOA.
Millsy
Eagle

Post by Millsy »

le, the 7 schools have been very tight lipped about this, but the common opinion on all of this is the cost to go there. Even if the UAs are subisdizing the cost of going there, it is still money out of the budget at a time when budgets are tight. From the way I understand it, the three UAs pay you the difference between a trip to them and the cost of your most expensive non-UAs trip. So for example, lets say BSU's most expensive non-UAs trip is Ferris State at $15,000. It cost the Beavers $18000 to go to Huntsville, $22,000 to go Anchorage and $26,000 to go to Fairbanks. That means BSU would get a check for $3,000, $7,000 and $11,000 respectively. Is that enough, who knows? But this year BSU pulls the triple and has to go to all three places.

Also, I think the 7 kind of saw the writing on the wall regarding the Alaska Budget. You have Anchorage leave the 6,000 seat Sullivan Center in downtown Anchorage for the 750 Wells Fargo Student Center on campus. Fairbanks is still playing at the 4,000 seat Carlson Center downtown, but the city has said the ice plant is on its last legs and they don't know if they have the money to replace it. Fairbanks has said they will move back on campus to the 1,200 seat Patty Center if the ice plant fails. The WCHA mandates 2,500 seats and certain locker room and training facilities criteria for visiting teams and neither one of these meet those criteria and would require massive upgrades and money. Would they be able to pull those off?

As for Huntsville, I am not sure why they got left out in the cold. All I can think of is that it was a power mover to try and get the Crimson Tide Board of Regents to approve the new arena the UAH is trying to get built. In Huntsville, the Chargers are second fiddle in the VBC behind the Havoc of the SPHL. From what I have heard, facilities for visiting teams are lacking, to say the least.....

From what I have heard, by giving two years notice, the seven teams have been able to bypass the exit fee in the WCHA contract.
le
Purple Eagle

Post by le »

Thanks Millsy. It will be interesting to follow the formation of the new “WCHA 7 league “ along with the plight of UAH. I seriously doubt this will spark a major re-alignment in college hockey. Conversely, now if the Ivy League decided to change their path and form a D1 league, all bets off.
Millsy
Eagle

Post by Millsy »

It appears that both Anchorage and Fairbanks will field teams this year as the Alaska Board of Regents has said all athletic seasons will go on as scheduled.

It also appears that the teams may be consolidated into one team next year, if they field a team. The Board is looking at consolidating all three campuses under one umbrella and eliminating the duplication of academic and athletic programs between the campuses. Some programs will be based in Fairbanks, some in Anchorage and some in Juneau. How they determine where athletic programs are based is up in the air, but rumors are that a few would be in Fairbanks and the rest in Anchorage. But the NCAA frowns on split athletic structures like that, so they may not even approve it.

Anchorage has the fairly new Alaska Airlines Center on campus, a 5000 seat arena that hosts Basketball, Volleyball and Gymnastics, but has no ice plant. Both teams are in dire straits as far as hockey arenas go. Anchorage moved back on campus to a 750 seat Student Center from the 6000 seat city run Sullivan Arena. Fairbanks is not sure how long the city run Carlson Center's ice plant will last and if they can even afford to replace it. If not, the Nanooks would move back to the 1200 seat Patty Center on campus.

Plus, neither team has a conference for the 2021-22 season........