The WCHA As We Now Know It Could Be Dead

Discuss Niagara Sports
MICKEY
Purple Eagle

NewEnglander...

Post by MICKEY »

...what is your take on all of this. Any rumblings about Hockey East filling the ND vacancy.
NewEnglander
Purple Eagle

Re: The WCHA As We Now Know It Could Be Dead

Post by NewEnglander »

There definitely will be movement of teams, maybe not in a major way but somehow Independents will have to align with leagues. The Alaska schools may dissolve, Alabama-Huntsville will have to find a home. Either they build a new rink and commit to the program or they too may fold. Arizona State needs to find a league perhaps joining the NCHC along with another large school out west. Hockey East has shown they want to remain a bus league and with the exception of Vermont and Maine and to a lesser extent UNH it would likely mean another team in the footprint of the lower 8 that are all less than a 2 hour bus ride apart (almost all 8 schools no further apart than Niagara to RIT with 6 of them much closer). That means adding one of three teams in my opinion. Holy Cross if they commit to their program is the most likely. None of the other eastern AHC teams have much hope of getting in. Rhode Island if they decide to go D1 is another. The third possibility is Quinnipiac but the Q is better off in the ECAC. I don't think they would want to risk their lofty position in the ECAC unless the Ivies broke off which would be a much bigger change than this WCHA proposal. That could set off an ECAC expansion that could devastate the AHC landscape.
Eagle
Purple Eagle

Post by Eagle »

I just hope we don’t wake up one morning and find out Canisius, Mercyhurst and Robert Morris joined the WCHA and RIT joined the ECAC after Qpac joins Hockey East.
Indeed, that would be difficult.

While there is a compelling rational for the Ivy's to form there own conference, I really don't see them breaking up very old playing traditions and scheduling relationships.

The true issue, challenge, I believe is to position NU sports in a favorable light for new conference affiliation in all major sports and to that end NU is in a much better position today thane even a few years ago. If this positivity continues, and there is no reason why it shouldn't, we'll be in fine shape to examine new opportunities.
le
Purple Eagle

Post by le »

I don't think they would want to risk their lofty position in the ECAC unless the Ivies broke off which would be a much bigger change than this WCHA proposal. That could set off an ECAC expansion that could devastate the AHC landscape.
If Penn decides to fund D1 programs I would think there would be some motivation to with the six schools to form a new Ivy League . This possibility has been rumored going back to the early 2000's. I agree, this would result in the AHC being totally decimated because it would force the ECAC into major expansion. There will be some movement among schools, the only question is how much.
Eagle
Purple Eagle

Post by Eagle »

ECAC 2019
1 Quinnipiac
2 Cornell
3 Clarkson
4 Harvard
5 Dartmouth
6 Yale
7 Union
8 Brown
9 Princeton
10 Colgate
11 Rensselaer
12 St. Lawrence

Ivy possibility
1. Cornell
2. Harvard
3. Dartmouth
4. Yale
5. Brown
6. Princeton
7. Penn

Core of new conference if Ivy's form their own conference

1. Quinnipiac
2. Clarkson
3. Union
4. Colgate
5. Rensselaer
6. St. Lawrence

Atlantic Hockey Association 2019
1. AIC
2. Bentley
3. Air Force
4. Sacred Heart
5. RIT
6. Niagara
7. Mercyhurst
8. Robert Morris
9. Holy Cross
10. Army
11. Canisius

MICKEY
Purple Eagle

Post by MICKEY »

Its Summer so speculation and wishful or unwishful thinking is the order of the day no matter how farfetched. So...one has to ask how much would academics and travel partners play in the formation of a new non Ivy ECAC. Hate to be a pessimist but It would appear to me that pending the plans of Hockey East the first two invites to join the new ECAC go to Bentley and/or Holy Cross and RIT. That would make the ECAC an eight team league, Ivy(7), HE(11/12) NCHC(8), WCHA(7), Big10(7) and AHA(8/9) leaving two independents without Alaska. I think unlike football conferences (where a championship game is highly profitable and large two division conferences make sense) hockey might be fine with smaller geographically compact conferences with odd numbers of members
NewEnglander
Purple Eagle

Post by NewEnglander »

Mickey, you are right about the ECAC moves if the Ivies split. I truly believe Holy Cross will be in Hockey East before that happens so RIT and Bentley would be the likely moves to the ECAC. That leaves AHC at 8 as long as nobody leaves for the WCHA. Completely doable but the loss of 3 high academic schools certainly would put a damper on the league.
Eagle
Purple Eagle

Post by Eagle »

Makes sense, Mick, so:

Core of new non-Ivy conference and pairing
1. Quinnipiac & Holy Cross
2. Clarkson & St Lawrence
3. Union & RPI
4. Colgate & RIT

8 team league, undersized? If so increase to 10
? Niagara & Canisius

Also, would the Ivy's want 8 teams and not 7?

If so they would keep Colgate, meaning the new non-Ivy conference could look like:

Core of new non-Ivy conference and pairing
1. Quinnipiac & Holy Cross
2. Clarkson & St Lawrence
3. Union & RPI
4. RIT & NU or Canisos for 8-team league
? or add RMU & Canisius for a a 10-team league

le
Purple Eagle

Post by le »

Agree:
I truly believe Holy Cross will be in Hockey East before that happens so RIT and Bentley would be the likely moves to the ECAC.
NU would left outside looking in once again.

AHC could invite UAH and maybe Navy.

Mike: I'm not so sure the Ivies would add a non-member
le
Purple Eagle

Post by le »

My question is which programs will the "renegades" from the old WCHA be looking to absorb to strengthen their lot after jettisoning UAH and the Alaska schools ?