BUFF NEWS PAULUS WANTS BB ALMUNI INVOLVED/ GREAT ARTICLE !

Discuss Niagara Sports

BUFF NEWS PAULUS WANTS BB ALMUNI INVOLVED/ GREAT ARTICLE !

Postby efkay2u » Fri Nov 08, 2019 12:17 pm

It's about time NIagara Basketball brings in it's Alumni. This is part of Coach Lammers "Inside Edge" for Hockey, more than actively involving Hockey Alumni. https://buffalonews.com/2019/11/07/niag ... news-2019/
efkay2u
Purple Eagle

Re: BUFF NEWS PAULUS WANTS BB ALMUNI INVOLVED/ GREAT ARTICL

Postby le » Fri Nov 08, 2019 12:40 pm

Absolute home run. NU needs connect with the hoop alums who are currently involved in basketball etc...Casey was asleep at the wheel by largely ignoring this group.

yet some of those alumni have felt isolated from the program in recent years, and want to have stronger ties with Paulus and his team.

Cleaven Royster, who was a men’s basketball captain at Niagara in 1974, calls himself a “proud Niagara graduate.” Royster lives in Virginia and said that in recent years, he has had minimal to no contact with Niagara. Roy Beekman played at Niagara from 1973 to 1978 and is now an associate head men’s basketball coach at Nassau Community College in Garden City, N.Y. Nassau Community College played in the NJCAA Division III national championship game in 2018.

Beekman said the last Niagara men’s basketball coach he communicated with on a regular basis was Joe Mihalich, who coached the Purple Eagles from 1998 to 2013, and who is in his seventh season as head coach at Hofstra.

“I don’t even think Niagara knows about my success or what I’m doing, as far as basketball goes and junior college recruiting,” Beekman said
le
Purple Eagle

Postby efkay2u » Fri Nov 08, 2019 1:32 pm

AS I briefly mentioned, Jason Lammers started the Inside Edge to build out Hockey Program further. At the first meeting I attended there were three alumni from the 2000 Elite EIght team who were there and now involved with building the Niagara brand for Hockey. I still see several local alumni at games as well as parents of former players.

To borrow a hackneyed cliche as a result of the PB situation, it's time for Niagara AThletics to make lemonade of lemons and use this as a jumping point to reach higher and higher for our Basketball Programs,
efkay2u
Purple Eagle

Postby phillyeagle » Fri Nov 08, 2019 3:31 pm

It is a pretty bad indictment from some of the past coaches that NO real effort was never made to connect with basketball team alumni. Coach Paulus has a lot on his plate right now ,but at least he is thinking that more has to be done. All leaders of NU need to continue efforts to break down the past silos among many departments at NU, and continually share/exchange information from its contact base. It would be great if Coach Paulus was at least given current contact information for every past player at NU. Personal phone calls can still mean something.
phillyeagle
Purple Eagle

Postby Pistal1 » Sun Nov 10, 2019 10:19 pm

These posts about connecting to all NU Alum is very important and has been lacking for some time. There have been some missed recruits with NU ties. One that comes to mind is Andy Cavo whom went on to star at Siena. His Dad has was a NU guy and NU could have grabbed him back some time ago. But something was missed. This is just one example and was during the JM days. JM was very good for sure but this one was missed. Then the Cavo's daughter was one of the top HS womens player's in NYS and she went on to star at Canisus, she should have come to NU as well ? I am sure there is more to both stories but just wanted to chime in on this topic.
Pistal1
Hawk

Postby Pistal1 » Sat Nov 30, 2019 12:30 am

No Comments about this and the Cavo players ? Does anyone remember these times ? And missng these NU family players that we should have had on our teams ? Go Purple ! Hope GP gets this. We need to win and make all our programs better. Lets try and get relevant and good as a small D1 program. We need a win or two and a win vs Syracuse December 28 would not hurt BTY. Hope this game is not a blowout loss.
Pistal1
Hawk

Postby efkay2u » Sat Nov 30, 2019 2:17 am

Somehow I missed your post about the Cavos. Al was in my class and he was totally committed NIagara . I forgot about his son playing for Siena but I do remember his daughter starring for Canisius. I agree that this was another blown situation which I hope will not happen again. I really think that between GP and Coach Lammers the recruiting outreach with alumni will not be forgotten. OH and one more name to throw in, Eve Cunningham
efkay2u
Purple Eagle

Return to NIAGARA SPORTS