2020 Hoops recruiting

Discuss Niagara Sports

Re: 2020 Hoops recruiting

Postby anderson » Wed May 13, 2020 10:33 pm

Guys we are getting shut out on this recruiting cycle. I am very concerned over not just signing kids but NU's name is quiet on the recruiting front. I know everyone will bring up a kid that signed in July that can play, but they are few and far between. We ripped Casey and other prior coaches for these type of recruiting seasons. Maybe just maybe we need to look at the problem is not the coach but where we are recruiting too. What are they selling to the kids ?
anderson
Hawk

Postby le » Thu May 14, 2020 9:34 am

Guys we are getting shut out on this recruiting cycle. I am very concerned over not just signing kids but NU's name is quiet on the recruiting front. I know everyone will bring up a kid that signed in July that can play, but they are few and far between. We ripped Casey and other prior coaches for these type of recruiting seasons. Maybe just maybe we need to look at the problem is not the coach but where we are recruiting too. What are they selling to the kids ?

This is my speculation only, based on little if any inside scoop or any other info. I don't know GP, nor have I met him. From I have read and observed, GP is a very compelling person and would be very influential face to face with any potential recruit. It's very difficult for a JUCO, not knowing him or meeting him to commit to a lower mid-major program with a losing record four of the last five seasons. He is a new D1 coach, literally recruiting from his cell phone without a pristine major program "logo" or a winning track record to sell. I would assume many of the newer mid-major coaches are experiencing the same problems. For this reason, I have to cut him some slack. However, the obvious need of an experienced big man has been evident since last November !
le
Purple Eagle

Postby purpleeagle5 » Thu May 14, 2020 9:49 am

We need some help in the front court. However, all is not lost. The Purps will have 6'6 -215 Nwandu the transfer from Lemoyne available for the upcoming season. I think he's more of swing player (3) than a power forward. He averaged 16 points and 5 rebounds during his last season at Lemoyne. Also, Coach P signed 6'11-240 freshman Tuba Traore who is a rim protector of sorts. He's a project coming from a small school , but he did average 10 rebounds a game in high school.

Purpleeagles.com quotes

Traore received interest from programs like George Mason, Hampton, James Madison, Longwood, Maryland Eastern Shore, Radford and UNC Asheville.

Paulus On Traore
"Touba is an athletic big with a high motor. His versatility and pride in having a presence around the basket will add a different dimension for our team."
purpleeagle5
Hawk

Postby MICKEY » Fri May 15, 2020 12:03 pm

I thought i’d put our search for front court players in historical perspective (and at the same time show how much idle time I have on my hands). Here is where we were May 1 last year.
Returnizes:
Kuakumensah
Diop
Green

Than:
Nwandu added 5/2
MacDonald added 5/3
Kratholm added 5/5
Diop leaves 5/9
Cicotti added 5/28
Waterman added 7/21
Englhardt (RS, walk on) added 8/2
Green leaves 8/3

So we started the season with seven front court players: one transfer sat out, one walk-on redshirted, one got injuried and later left, one left mid year, so we effectively played the conference season with three. So right now we have 5 returning including the walk-on and one incoming freshman or six in total.
We have two open scholarships now and next year will have four more (3 front court, one back court players leave)
MICKEY
Purple Eagle

Postby le » Sat May 16, 2020 10:07 am

If my math is correct, we have only "three forwards" currently on the roster that actually have the size to play center and power forward: Diop, Krat and Greg K. Ya can't have 6'2 and 6'3 wing players at the "4" even in the MAAC, if one expects to compete for a championship. I mean we can compete with guards playing wings and wings playing power forward, but in the end the lack of size will not translate into banners. Thoughts ?
le
Purple Eagle

Postby MICKEY » Sat May 16, 2020 2:43 pm

I agree! I read an interesting stat on the Fairfield board, of their 13 scholarship players only one is under 6’4”. We have five out of eleven, however I’d take our five over their “shortest” five any day. The point is the MAAC is getting bigger and as much as I love the Traore recruitment I’d feel better if we had at least one more big wide body to help him. BTW, the third forward is Nwandu not Diop.
MICKEY
Purple Eagle

Postby MICKEY » Wed May 20, 2020 3:46 pm

Ayo-Faleye, listed as a freshman on numatt’s list now appears to be listed as class of ‘21 and he recently received an offer from Yale. He might be going to prep for a year.
MICKEY
Purple Eagle

Postby anderson » Fri May 22, 2020 12:07 am

still waiting
anderson
Hawk

Postby pipes » Fri May 22, 2020 9:57 pm

Got one big... Trying for another..

@JamieShaw5

6’7 Albany transfer Malachi de Sousa has heard from #Niagara #Monmouth #IUPUI & been offered by #CoppinState since putting his name in the portal

2 years of eligibility remain

College per40 Stats:
10.1 Points. 6.6 Boards. 2.6 Assists. 1.2 Blocks
pipes
Purple Eagle

Postby MICKEY » Mon May 25, 2020 5:45 pm

Don’t we have a number of Korean students? Here’s one we should take a look at, Jaemin Yang 6’7” 200 lbs JC with 3.8 GPA

https://mobile.twitter.com/wykimphd/sta ... 9473624065
MICKEY
Purple Eagle

Previous

Return to NIAGARA SPORTS