"Bulls outclass NU in Big 4 blowout"

Discuss Niagara Sports

Re: NU at UB 2:00 PM : ESPN3

Postby le » Sun Dec 22, 2019 11:11 am

I missed the game thankfully. Good to hear Kauk and Krat played well. We are just small with Solo and Leviniac starting as our 2 and 3 etc. Obviously, we need more size. Let’s develop what we have this year and pull off some wins at the GC with our 4 guard look. Thanks the game reports.
le
Purple Eagle

Postby le » Sun Dec 22, 2019 11:54 am

12:00 PM Manhattan at Hofstra
12:00 PM Saint Peter's at Long Island University

MONDAY, DECEMBER 23

6:00 PM Canisius at Siena ESPN 3
le
Purple Eagle

Postby le » Sun Dec 22, 2019 11:56 am

Gazette:

"We were hoping that we could that mixing up defensive coverages and defensive looks,” Niagara coach Greg Paulus said. “We got a few baskets off of that, which helped give us momentum. But it seemed like every time we were able to make a run or a spurt of our own, they did a great job of making a 3 or getting something easy in transition.” Unfortunately, we just couldn’t string together enough stops in a row,” Paulus said. “We are in the very, very early stages of creating our foundation with our culture. That’s going to take time. …

https://www.niagara-gazette.com/sports/ ... 59c65.html
le
Purple Eagle

Re: "Bulls outclass NU in Big 4 blowout"

Postby Eagle » Sun Dec 22, 2019 1:56 pm

Watched the game and Paulus' comments were on the money.

We played some good ball and not-so-good ball, and need to become more consistent.

Though circuitous, we really lucked out with Paulus, and have one of the best young coaches in the country.

NU coaches are spending much time on the recruiting trail.

I believe it makes sense, or at least explore, the medical red-shirting of Noah.

https://www.athleticscholarships.net/20 ... dshirt.htm

Medical Hardship Requirements
To be eligible for a medical hardship waiver, a student-athlete has to meet the following criteria:
- The student-athlete must suffer the injury during one of their four seasons of college competition or during the senior year of high school.
- The injury must be incapacitating. That means it must be a season-ending injury.
- The injury must occur prior to the start of the second half of the season.
- The student-athlete must not have competed in more than 30% of the season or three contests, whichever is greater.

We play 31 regular games in 2019-'20. Noah appeared in 7 and was injured, I believe in the Colgate game, game #7, meaning he has played in only 22.58% of our regular season games which should qualify him, apparently, for a medical red-shirt.

"The student-athlete must not have competed in more than 30% ((9 games in NU's case) of the season or three (3) contests, whichever is greater."

9 v 3 in NU's case, whichever is greater, meaning, I think, 9 is the cutoff and Noah is thus eligible for a medical red-shirt.

Eagle
Purple Eagle

Postby msm29 » Sun Dec 22, 2019 1:59 pm

Eagle wrote:Watched the game and Paulus' comments were on the money.

We played some good ball and not-so-good ball, and need to become more consistent.

Though circuitous, we really lucked out with Paulus, and have one of the best young coaches in the country.

NU coaches are spending much time on the recruiting trail.

I believe it makes sense, or at least explore, the medical red-shirting of Noah.

https://www.athleticscholarships.net/20 ... dshirt.htm

Medical Hardship Requirements
To be eligible for a medical hardship waiver, a student-athlete has to meet the following criteria:
- The student-athlete must suffer the injury during one of their four seasons of college competition or during the senior year of high school.
- The injury must be incapacitating. That means it must be a season-ending injury.
- The injury must occur prior to the start of the second half of the season.
- The student-athlete must not have competed in more than 30% of the season or three contests, whichever is greater.

We play 31 regular games in 2019-'20. Noah appeared in 7 and was injured, I believe in the Colgate game, game #7, meaning he has played in only 22.58% of our regular season games which should qualify him, apparently, for a medical red-shirt.

"The student-athlete must not have competed in more than 30% ((9 games in NU's case) of the season or three (3) contests, whichever is greater."

9 v 3 in NU's case, whichever is greater, meaning, I think, 9 is the cutoff and Noah is thus eligible for a medical red-shirt.

A few people have asked me about the medical redshirt for Noah, and while I'm certain he'd be eligible, part of me thinks his best course would be to take his lumps this year and get used to the size/speed of the D-1 game.
msm29
Eagle

Postby Eagle » Sun Dec 22, 2019 2:13 pm

A few people have asked me about the medical redshirt for Noah, and while I'm certain he'd be eligible, part of me thinks his best course would be to take his lumps this year and get used to the size/speed of the D-1 game.

No question, playing time is the best teacher, just throwing this out there. Noah could still practice the second half, bulk up a bit, and take his time coming back and not lose a season of PT.

A major factor, my guess, will be what Paulus expects from recruiting which will be a real roll of the dice, with no certainty at the time the play, no-play decision must be made.
Eagle
Purple Eagle

Postby phillyeagle » Sun Dec 22, 2019 3:23 pm

No way I want a kid to medical red shirt a year if he might play. The way transfer rules work today, the mid major will be raided by a P5 school for their rising stars and an extra year of eligibility would really screw NU.
phillyeagle
Purple Eagle

Postby phillyeagle » Sun Dec 22, 2019 3:25 pm

No way I want a kid to medical red shirt a year if he might play. The way transfer rules work today, the mid major will be raided by a P5 school for their rising stars and an extra year of eligibility would really screw NU.
phillyeagle
Purple Eagle

Postby MICKEY » Sun Dec 22, 2019 4:51 pm

I agree, mid majors should never red shirt a player for any reason unless he has a season ending injury. It would also be interesting to find out what percent of transfers who sit out a year transfer a second time as graduates.
MICKEY
Purple Eagle

Postby msm29 » Sun Dec 22, 2019 5:06 pm

MICKEY wrote:I agree, mid majors should never red shirt a player for any reason unless he has a season ending injury. It would also be interesting to find out what percent of transfers who sit out a year transfer a second time as graduates.

They can always chase a medical redshirt later, as well. It's not like they have to make the decision now.

A NU spokesperson called him "day-to-day" before the Albany game nearly two weeks ago, so it's safe to say we have no idea of his timetable. NU will probably play 30-31 games, depending on the MAAC tourney, 30% of which would be 9-10. They could probably try to work him back in for a game or two, then decide to shut him down if they so choose a that point.
msm29
Eagle

PreviousNext

Return to NIAGARA SPORTS