Article on Paulus in local Syr paper.

Discuss Niagara Sports

Article on Paulus in local Syr paper.

Postby le » Thu Dec 26, 2019 1:27 pm

Five Hole sent me this article from a friend of his who lives in CNY:

WOW :
Niagara is the smallest team in the country with just two rotation players taller than 6-foot-6.

After working as an assistant at four different schools in four years, Greg Paulus will lead his Niagara men's basketball program into the Carrier Dome on Saturday. (Joed Viera/Contributer)By Chris Carlson | ccarlson@syracuse.com
Syracuse, N.Y. -- Greg Paulus was preparing for this moment long before it arrived.On shelves in his Grand Island home, he keeps binders full of notes from each of his college seasons. From when he was a Duke point guard. From when he was a Syracuse quarterback. From four different coaching destinations.They include notes ranging from the technical (practice notes, drills and scouting reports) to the psychological (photographs and inspirational quotes).Paulus knew when he started his college career then that he wanted to have a career in coaching. Now, in his first year as the head coach of Niagara, he can look back and see how each of his mentors dealt with the challenges he now faces.“This is one example, but I was meeting with Coach (Mike Krzyzewski) and he showed me a picture of what he wanted my leadership to be," Paulus said. "I can still visually see the picture of what that face and body language looked like. A position of strength. A position where when the other team or your teammates look at you, you exude confidence. I have a binder of every year that I was a player at Duke -- freshman year, sophomore, junior, senior -- knowing that I wanted to coach. I have Coach (Doug) Marrone’s binder from ’Cuse. I can remember a moment or a year and go back into it.”Despite the copious notes, there was probably no explanation included for how Paulus should approach this season, when his first opportunity as a head coach was thrust upon him just two weeks before the start of Niagara’s season.Paulus stepped up from assistant coach after Patrick Beilein abruptly resigned shortly before the season for what both Beilein and the school have labeled “personal reasons,” providing little detail on what they involve.Paulus’ interim tag was removed the day before the first game.“It’s certainly not how he imagined becoming a head coach,” said Christian Brothers Academy athletic director and boys basketball coach Buddy Wleklinski.For Paulus, it is a fourth job in four seasons, a journey in which relatively little has gone as planned.He started at Navy before moving to Ohio State. In his first season as a video coordinator at Ohio State under Thad Matta, the Buckeyes went to the Final Four. Ohio State won 49 games in the first two seasons that Paulus served as an assistant coach. But the program also unraveled as Matta began to experience health issues, leading the school’s winningest coach to resign. Shortly after his wedding in 2017, Paulus was out of a job.He joined the staff of David Padgett, who steered Louisville for one year following the abrupt firing of Rick Pitino. The team performed admirably given the circumstances, but it failed to land the big wins needed to make the NCAA Tournament. The staff was replaced.He spent a year at George Washington, working on a staff that was shown the door after last season. Shortly after the birth of his 16-month-old son, Paulus was again out of a job.“The last five years, he always seemed to be in the wrong place at the wrong time,” Wleklinski said.While being promoted to head coach certainly isn’t a stroke of bad luck, even Paulus’ big break comes with some complications.Following Beilein’s abrupt departure Paulus held meetings, both individual and team, to make sure players felt supported. He’s leading a team that has had three head coaches in less than a year. He’s currently working with just two assistant coaches and a staff picked by his predecessor.He’s meshed the things that he likes from Beilein’s scheme with some of his own preferences, hoping to salvage as much of the team’s preseason work as he could.But when questioned on the unique line of challenges, difficulties or setbacks at each stop, Paulus shifts the tone with his brand of unceasing positivity. To hear him tell it, each of these was a learning experience. Each time a staff was replaced, it was an opportunity to grow.“All the experiences help you for the next experience,” Paulus said. “I’ve been grateful for the experiences of each place as a coach, whether it’s the wins and losses and the game, the things you learn away from it in terms of running a program, there’s so much that goes into it. I’m grateful for those experiences because they’ve continued to shape me and I think each of those experiences allows you to be prepared for opportunities when they come up.”The latest opportunity is a difficult one, with a program that hasn’t been to the NCAA Tournament since 2007.Niagara is the smallest team in the country with just two rotation players taller than 6-foot-6. It’s one of the worst rebounding teams in the country. Its most physically imposing player is 6-foot-6 forward Greg Kuakumensah.On most nights, they will be out-manned. The Purple Eagles lost their first five games, including a 47-point loss to Rutgers and a 23-point loss to Purdue-Fort Wayne. They are 2-8.Niagara also is getting better, winning two games in a row at one point, capped by an overtime win over a solid Colgate team.They celebrated the first win, a road victory over Norfolk State, with the energy and enthusiasm of a team committed to its season and its coach, spraying their head coach with water bottles. It was a moment shared on social media. Wleklinski saw the video clip and viewed it as a promising sign that the team has bought in and cares for its coach.“They didn’t look like an 0-5 team," Wleklinski said. "You don’t see celebrations like that often. You see that when you win the ACC. It doesn’t happen when a coach wins his first game.”
le
Purple Eagle

Re: Article on Paulus in local Syr paper.

Postby Eagle » Thu Dec 26, 2019 6:09 pm

Good story.

I will be at the SU game!
Eagle
Purple Eagle

Postby Pistal1 » Sat Dec 28, 2019 12:12 am

Would loke to meet the Eagle. Where are your seats ?
Pistal1
Hawk

Postby Pistal1 » Sat Dec 28, 2019 12:12 am

Would like to meet the Eagle. Where are your seats ?
Pistal1
Hawk

Return to NIAGARA SPORTS