Fairfield at Niagara: Suge's game report / Gazette

Discuss Niagara Sports

Re: Fairfield at Niagara

Postby le » Fri Jan 03, 2020 10:05 pm

16 assists, 10 turnovers. Great defensive effort on Talelfero and Cruz. Kauk and Townes came up big late.
le
Purple Eagle

Postby jhart » Fri Jan 03, 2020 10:25 pm

Siena was only MAAC not playing tonight...need another conference member if we're staying.
jhart
Purple Eagle

Postby phillyeagle » Fri Jan 03, 2020 10:27 pm

Crazy game story. Fairfield out rebounded NU by 15 but their top scorer, Taliaferro was 1-13. Tough to win with 6’3” or 6’4” forwards.
phillyeagle
Purple Eagle

Postby le » Fri Jan 03, 2020 10:28 pm

Griffs and Iona go down to the Jaspers and SPU. Nice win for SPU over Iona ! NU wins despite being clocked on the broads and in the paint, Crazy--Kodos to GP !

Manhattan 71, Canisius 67 Williams 16 Brandon 15
Niagara 75, Fairfield 66 Towns 18
Saint Peter's 75, Iona 74 Banks III 25 Crawford 24
Quinnipiac 63, Marist 58 Kelly 18 Herasme 20
Siena 75, Monmouth 69 Carey 15 Hammond 23
le
Purple Eagle

Postby le » Sat Jan 04, 2020 12:22 am

Just a side note. I have observed recently participation on forums has declined due to information overload on the net with live broadcasts, team pages, websites etc.. Years ago, forums served a purpose to receive updates and other relevant info. Now, pages have become mere opinion forums resulting in less viewership. Tonight , should have been a celebratory event with NU's first big MAAC win under a dynamic new HC !
le
Purple Eagle

Postby Suge » Sat Jan 04, 2020 1:56 am

Was at the game. Casey definitely didn't receive that ovation nor was he booed. Think people are too excited about the new era of NU basketball. Kuak continued to be impressive. Same for Townes. At times, he is still to ball dominant for my liking but it is hard to argue with the results sometimes. The difference was our shooting in the second half. I don't know that much about FF but I thought Maidoh should have been problem for us all game. He didn't get as many minutes as I thought he should. We have to continue forcing turnovers at our current rate if we are going to keep getting killed on the boards. It's a must for us to stand a chance.

Noah has shed the walking boot. Looked like he still had a little limp but it could be just the way he walks. I couldn't get an official, or unofficial, timetable for his return.
Suge
Purple Eagle

Postby NU1971 » Sat Jan 04, 2020 9:51 am

Heard last night on a TV broadcast of a Div 1 game.....Announcers were talking about one of the two teams liking to play "ugly" and one of the men saying the win was an ugly one. Another guy on the broadcast said that when he coached, ALL wins were "beautiful", regardless of how they were come by.
For this current NU squad, wins are not easy so each one should be celebrated, regardless of the "how". Maybe their defense and FF's poor shooting are somewhat connected and GP is slowly getting the players to understand that working hard on the defensive side can offset the lack of size. Let's hope so, as the team isn't all going to grow four inches each in the coming days.
NU1971
Eagle

Re: Fairfield at Niagara: Suge game report

Postby ppittin » Sat Jan 04, 2020 10:37 am

Just a side note. I have observed recently participation on forums has declined due to information overload on the net with live broadcasts, team pages, websites etc.. Years ago, forums served a purpose to receive updates and other relevant info. Now, pages have become mere opinion forums resulting in less viewership. Tonight , should have been a celebratory event with NU's first big MAAC win under a dynamic new HC !

Do you count hits/views when you write that participation has declined or is your reference only to POSTS? I do not post much BUT I follow the form regularly. It's the only real source of NU sports information available to me. I appreciate the Niagara Gazette Sports Writer participating and the research other work people do to post current information. Because of this forum I am informed about NU athletics and I have listened to games via my computer. I never did that in the past.
ppittin
Pigeon

Re: Fairfield at Niagara: Suge game report

Postby le » Sat Jan 04, 2020 10:56 am

Ppitin: Thanks. I was just referencing a general trend among sports forum participation. There is just so much data available to the casual fan that the economies of scale has changed. Over saturation to a certain degree etc... With little if any info available back in the day, many of us relied upon forums for updates and events pertaining to the teams. IE, I had a pretty good relationship with Jack A, BM, MH, Burky and JAM years back and could provide information to interested parties which was not available elsewhere. Now with interactive team sites, forums, net radio and tv coverage, most relevant info is out there. I will continue to provide updates and cite links etc.. Just a general comment.
le
Purple Eagle

Re: Fairfield at Niagara: Suge's game report / Gazette

Postby le » Sat Jan 04, 2020 10:58 am

Gazette:

GP:

I think we’re working on creating that identity,” Paulus said. “Offensively, we want to be a team that is balanced. … Defensively, we’re going to have some different lineups in there, and for us it’s important to try to have five guys rebounding the basketball.

“A strength of theirs is offensive rebounding. They did a great job getting 20 of those, and that’s certainly something that we’re going to continue to need to work on and build on moving forward.”

LINK:

https://www.niagara-gazette.com/sports/ ... f7ce8.html
le
Purple Eagle

PreviousNext

Return to NIAGARA SPORTS