Tah'Jae Hill Commits!! / Gazette article with Demond Stewart

Discuss Niagara Sports

Re: Tah'Jae Hill Commits!!

Postby le » Tue Jan 07, 2020 5:28 pm

According to this article , Hill can play the 1,2, and 3 at 6’2. A very dynamic player who may soar to the heights of Tyrone Lewis.
le
Purple Eagle

Postby msm29 » Tue Jan 07, 2020 9:01 pm

Talked to HIll's coach, and Demond Stewart.

You guys are going to like this one:

https://www.niagara-gazette.com/sports/ ... 64c64.html
msm29
Eagle

Postby NU1971 » Tue Jan 07, 2020 10:11 pm

It appears the newest recruit was given the inside info on GP and his "pedigree". I'm thinking that this was the deciding factor. Who better to nurture a young point guard than one who played under the winningest D1 coach? Smart, skilled PG's are very valuable as we all know. They center a team and make good things happen on the court. Onward to the frontcourt!
NU1971
Eagle

Re: Tah'Jae Hill Commits!! / Gazette article with Demond Ste

Postby le » Wed Jan 08, 2020 11:28 am

It appears the newest recruit was given the inside info on GP and his "pedigree". I'm thinking that this was the deciding factor.

It's clear GP "wanted him" and "got him" ! When was the last time this happened at NU? Been a while. This result can only bode well for future signings. It seems as if GP has an "allure" to him.
le
Purple Eagle

Postby Eagle » Wed Jan 08, 2020 11:53 am

Recruiting is all about chemistry and connecting.

Programs rise and fall on the head coach and all programs take on the persona of the head coach which helps explain why some programs rise and fall.

From
"Taps, The Gentlemen Coach"
by Lloyd Paterson.

"Taps was a kind and considerate man. It sure paid off for him in the old Madison Square Garden one night. He was about to enter the main entrance of the Garden when a man spoke to him. He said he was a high school coach from Ohio and had met Taps previously at a high school coaches clinic. They exchanged pleasantries and Taps asked him where his seats were in the Garden

The coach replied that he and his two friends didn't have tickets and were trying to acquire some. The coach had never been to New York before and did not realize how popular college basketball was in the Garden.

"Wait a minute and I'll see if I can help you out" Taps told him. In a few minutes he came back and handed the coach a few tickets saying "They're not the best seats in the house but at least you will be able to see the game."

The three men shook Taps' hand and the coach said, "One of these days I'm going to have an outstanding player and when I do, I'm going to send him to you."

The coach from Ohio kept his word. he sent Taps and Niagara one of the best players in the history of the school. His name was Alex "Boo" Ellis."
Eagle
Purple Eagle

Postby ppittin » Thu Jan 09, 2020 10:40 am

Now that GP has made inroads to the Rochester area, there is a 7 foot player in Victor, NY. The young man reminds me of a young Bob Lanier. He needs to slim down a bit (Bulk is no issue here), get playing time and he needs the golden touch of a great coach. IMHO at NU he would have access to all three. I don't have access to any additional information. He may be a junior. He may be a project BUT you can work with seven feet and 350 pounds!! That's a lot of rebounding space.
ppittin
Pigeon

Postby Eagle » Thu Jan 09, 2020 2:33 pm

Connor Williams

At 7-foot-1-inch, this Victor athlete draws big attention from all, including colleges

Bob Chavez, Canandaigua Daily Messenger
Nov. 29, 2019

It’s the routine of daily life that most don’t even consider or give a second thought.

You want a new shirt? You go buy it. Hitching a ride? You open the door and hop in the car. Just got home? You open your door and walk in.

It’s about as basic as it gets, but for Victor High junior Connor Williams, these routines are anything but.

Because when you’re 7-feet, 1-inch tall, basic is redefined in a lot of areas.

Of course, Williams hasn’t always been 7-1. But he has always been big, which has made for a life of constant adjustment wherever he goes. And now that Williams is a varsity athlete in football and basketball at Victor, he’s in a spotlight that makes him the topic of many conversations.

“He was 9 pounds, 10 ounces when he was born,” said his mom, Kristin Williams. “And he was two weeks early.”

Growing up, Connor had company in the department of large with older — not bigger — brother CJ, who today is a 6-4 freshman offensive lineman at Mercyhurst. But a few years ago as elementary students, when they both decided to play youth football in Victor, it wasn’t as easy as filling out the registration forms.

Both exceeded the weight limit for the youth program in Victor, so they looked for other options. That not only took them out of Victor, it took them to rival Canandaigua for the Frank Baker League, where the “Twin Towers” played for three years.

“It’s not like I had an option,” Connor said with a smile. “It was the only way for us to play football.”

The Williams brothers were able to play Frank Baker football because it’s an independent youth league, meaning it sets its own rules when it comes to player weight. The league does have weight limits for the skill positions so players who exceed that limit play on the offensive or defensive line.

But before they could take the field, bigger jerseys needed to be ordered and new helmets had to be found, because not a single helmet in the Baker system fit either one of the brothers.

So the league turned to the varsity team in Canandaigua, which had helmets to fit these elementary students and allowed them to take the field...

https://www.democratandchronicle.com/st ... 330253002/
Eagle
Purple Eagle

Postby ppittin » Thu Jan 09, 2020 5:07 pm

Thanks EAGLE. According to the article, he's a junior. I wonder how the basketball team is doing. I think I read that they are undefeated or were undefeated. 7'1' 7'1' 7'1" along with Noah at 6'11": Changes the dynamic a bit.
ppittin
Pigeon

Previous

Return to NIAGARA SPORTS