Discuss Niagara Sports

Re: Cross @ NU : 4:00 PM - LCTV

Postby efkay2u » Sat Jan 11, 2020 9:48 pm

Attendance 350 .
efkay2u
Purple Eagle

Postby le » Sat Jan 11, 2020 11:10 pm

So we get 1 point out of possible 4 on home ice this weekend . Not what the doctor ordered.
le
Purple Eagle

Postby NewEnglander » Sun Jan 12, 2020 1:17 am

le wrote:So we get 1 point out of possible 4 on home ice this weekend . Not what the doctor ordered.

Actually Niagara gets only 1 point out of 6 in this series. Each game is worth 3 points. If you win in regulation or the first OT you get 3 points. If a game is still tied after the first OT it is an official tie in the record books with each team getting 1 point. The last point goes to the winner of the 2nd OT or shootout.

le wrote:So HC gets 2 pts and NU 1 point ? If there is a shootout , it’s a W in the win column for HC? A tie for NU?

Yes to 2 points HC and 1 point NU. No to if it goes to a shootout or just 2nd OT it is not a win for HC, it is a tie, but the standings have a SO column that counts 2nd OT or shootout wins to add the additional point to the standings. Niagara has 2 of those already this year.
NewEnglander
Purple Eagle

Postby le » Sun Jan 12, 2020 11:28 am

Yikes :
Actually Niagara gets only 1 point out of 6 in this series.
le
Purple Eagle

Re: NU Drops OT game to Holy Cross

Postby le » Sun Jan 12, 2020 11:31 am

No video highlights, no quotes from the coach, no tape etc...We are 4-6-2-2 in league play, but obviously the public's perception of this program is not very high evidenced by the poor attendance figures.

https://purpleeagles.com/news/2020/1/11 ... otout.aspx

Tape of the game is available on Livestream:

https://livestream.com/LCTV20/sports
le
Purple Eagle

Postby efkay2u » Sun Jan 12, 2020 2:36 pm

NewEnglander wrote:I had mentioned about flooding the stands with freebies just to create some atmosphere but the response was revenue is desperately needed and they can't afford to give away tickets at the expense of losing some paying customers. Valid argument there. However people in the stands do purchase food and souvenirs too. Maybe a one time marketing offer can be done to fill the stands. Get a donor to raffle something good off. Your chances would be far greater than any lottery. The rink does look better on TV now I must admit.

I had brought up some suggestions regarding involving the SPORTS MARKETING PROGRAM which we have at Niagara . Seems like it be a valuable teaching tool to the young sports management candidates. The program does own and manage the Niagara Power Baseball team, yet working on promoting and marketing a stagnant hockey program would be a great hands on experience. I had suggested for example canvassing the bars and restaurants in the Falls and Lewiston trying to build up some interest in a bar buying a small number of tickets for a game (maybe starting even at 10 tix) so a bunch of guys (or gals) could attend a game or two. Think of the parable of the mustard seed how a little seed can grown into a huge plant. If the bar sold a number of tickets we would give them a Niagara pennant, banner or even a uniform to hang , in the bar. I am surprised the bas , restaurants even associated with Niagara alumni have no hanging pennants, schedules, etc.

Anyways, I guess everything is too compartmentalized in the upper reaches of the hierarchy.
efkay2u
Purple Eagle

Postby ppittin » Sun Jan 12, 2020 3:20 pm

I was at the ice arena in October during Alumni weekend. The place was packed with youth hockey players. I chatted for a long time with a young parent from Canada who had children playing. Personally, I think this would be the better place to start recruiting fans---the youth hockey programs. If the kids got free tickets, perhaps one team a week or one league per week. The kids would get mom and dad to bring them to games. Old guys in bars don't need free tickets---kids are the way to grow. Perhaps one of those kids would be a 4 star recruit someday and decide to stay where he grew up----at the NU Hockey rink. Just my opinion here.
ppittin
Pigeon

Postby efkay2u » Sun Jan 12, 2020 3:35 pm

ppittin, Good points and I see you and agree

There are youth hockey teams in attendance Yesterday there was a group from the Junior Purple Eagles THere was a table in the lobby for them to sign in, get a slice of pizza and a t shirt. There originally was a public skate with the Purple Eagles after the game, and during the game it was announced it would be a skate for the Junior Purple Eagles and the team only. IN the past there were always several teams in attendance, in addition to adult groups from the ironworkers, maybe a volunteer fire dept, , a group from Welland ont, etc. What I was suggesting as an example is to get the niagara Falls community, the hotels, tourist groups, restaurants back in the soup, so to say and get the local casual fans back.

We need to get some Niagara Hockey Passion back in the area.
efkay2u
Purple Eagle

Postby le » Mon Jan 13, 2020 1:09 pm

Right ! ! !

Hopefully with the students back in session, NU can sweep Army in two weeks to generate some buzz in the rink and area. We have a tough challenge fling out to Air Force for two games next weekend
le
Purple Eagle

Postby NewEnglander » Mon Jan 13, 2020 8:05 pm

le wrote:

Right ! ! !

Hopefully with the students back in session, NU can sweep Army in two weeks to generate some buzz in the rink and area. We have a tough challenge fling out to Air Force for two games next weekend

Niagara has done well against Air Force in the recent past. I think even though it is on the road in high altitude Niagara has a better chance in that series than the Army one at home. Army has a very good team this year and will be battling it out for first with Sacred Heart and AIC.
NewEnglander
Purple Eagle

PreviousNext

Return to NIAGARA SPORTS