MAAC Tourney in Atlantic City

Discuss Niagara Sports

MAAC Tourney in Atlantic City

Postby le » Wed Feb 05, 2020 12:33 pm

Honestly, besides the Monmouth and Rider crowds and a few diehards from the various metro NYC MAAC schools, who is actually going to attend this tourney in Atlantic City ? SPU is proximate in Jersey City, but they do not travel well and literally draw flies at home. Iona is down terribly this year, and Manhattan is mediocre posting an overall record of 9-10.

I wouldn't expect more than 10-12 k in total attendance mirroring the numbers in Springfield, MA. I could be dead wrong .

Last year in Albany :

The five-day tournament drew 26,532 fans for 10 sessions that covered a combined 20 men's and women's games.

https://www.timesunion.com/sports/artic ... 682615.php
le
Purple Eagle

Re: MAAC Tourney in Atlantic City

Postby le » Thu Feb 06, 2020 11:52 am

Just FYI:

MAAC opening and quarter games will be carried on ESPN3.
MAAC semi's will be carried on ESPN NEWS.
MAAC Final on ESPNU (not 2)

https://maacsports.com/sports/2019/10/1 ... ?path=mbkb
le
Purple Eagle

Postby efkay2u » Thu Feb 06, 2020 12:13 pm

At least the games won't be on FloTV, yet !
efkay2u
Purple Eagle

Postby le » Thu Feb 06, 2020 1:28 pm

At least the games won't be on FloTV, yet !

HA HA HA ! Thank God ...

Well ESPN NEWS and the "U" are cable stations, and ESPN3 is free .
le
Purple Eagle

Postby NewEnglander » Thu Feb 06, 2020 10:37 pm

I've wondered where exactly would be the best location for the MAAC tournament. Seems it must be within the footprint of the league and maybe centered towards where the majority of the league teams are located. Atlantic City is just outside that footprint much like Springfield was. Albany is reasonably inside the footprint but only very close to 2 schools. Buffalo would be like Albany in that respect except that all the other schools are far far away while just simply far away from Albany. Anything south of NYC is a difficult trip for a handful of schools. Just north of the city would be a perfect spot but what is there in that area that could field this tournament. How about the Westchester County Arena, home of the Westchester Knicks, an affiliate of the NY Knicks. I believe they seat over 4000. It is not anyone's home court. A reasonable trip for everyone but Niagara and Canisius, yet any location except Buffalo or Syracuse is long for both.
NewEnglander
Purple Eagle

Postby le » Fri Feb 07, 2020 10:27 am

I think Westchester was considered in the past which is a great location, but the venue was too small and lacked certain amenities according to MAAC officials. Historically, Albany has generated the most sales and revenue with close proximity to Siena and Marist. Nassau Coliseum on Long Island actually hosted a MAAC double-header two years ago , but attendance figures were disappointing. Nassau bid on the Tourney for the current contract, however Atlantic City must have exceeded their package. I would think the next round will be either on Long Island or back to Albany.
le
Purple Eagle

Return to NIAGARA SPORTS