NU completes wild comeback, moves to 5th in MAAC

Discuss Niagara Sports
phillyeagle
Purple Eagle

Re: Iona at Niagara - 1:00PM : ESPN3

Post by phillyeagle »

This team is amazing. Hammond was lights out from three point land. At times, reminded me of someone else at Niagara. Can not remember an NU team that seems to win most tossup games. Probably because I can not remember an NU team that plays defense like this team. Congrats to the guys staying together after a tough start of the season.
Bugsy1975
Hawk

Post by Bugsy1975 »

WOW !!! What a game.
Suge
Purple Eagle

Post by Suge »

Audible gasps were heard when Hammonds shot hit the back of the rim. GC erupted after it fell threw the net. I had a post all typed in my head telling you guys how Agee and Crawford were just too much but NU was having none of it. Hammonds hit the big shot. Towns was tough down the stretch getting to the rim at will. Solomon was great in OT. Great team win on senior day.

I know Iona has been hot as of late but they seemed lost without Cluess at the end. They have the talent to win the auto bid in AC but I'm not sure Arnold gives them an edge. He might be a good coach down the road but Cluess really was missed today for Iona.
efkay2u
Purple Eagle

Post by efkay2u »

WOW I Sounds like a classic. I was a guest at the UB v Akron game. Would it be safe to say these last two wins are the biggest MAAC wins since Joe M left. Dinner just served as am on my way to Hockey. GO NU
Bugsy1975
Hawk

Post by Bugsy1975 »

le
Purple Eagle

Post by le »

We just beat two of the hottest teams in the MAAC. Unreal. Missed the game entirely.
NewEnglander
Purple Eagle

Post by NewEnglander »

What was Iona thinking on that play? 2 players well inside the arc when only a 3 would suffice.
efkay2u
Purple Eagle

Post by efkay2u »

Fast paced highlights and GP's presser. https://youtu.be/Vpwp27QDybg
msm29
Purple Eagle

Post by msm29 »

What a Saturday afternoon in Lewiston:

https://www.niagara-gazette.com/sports/ ... db9c0.html
le
Purple Eagle

Re: NU completes wild comeback, moves to 5th in MAAC

Post by le »

When was the last an NU team rallied from being down seven points with 43 seconds remaining ? I have never seen a NU player (Hammond) in recent memory hit such CLUTCH 3's to lead his team to win after win late in games...Kudos to Solo for finally coming up big with 16 points snapping his cold streak. This team just continues to win games they have no business winning. What more can be said ?
Down 77-70 after missing a layup 43 seconds left, ESPN.com's win probability metric gave the Purple Eagles just a 2.3% chance to come back and beat visiting Iona
We hold the tiebreaker over Iona for fifth place. To maintain fifth and the bye, we will have to do it on the road against Siena and Canisius. No easy feat.
The win pushes Niagara (11-18, 9-9) into a tie with Iona (11-14, 9-9) for fifth place in the MAAC with two games remaining. The Purple Eagles also hold the tiebreaker, having swept the Gaels this season.