Rick Pitino to Iona / Zaga of the East ?

Discuss Niagara Sports

Re: Rick Pitino to Iona

Postby le » Mon Mar 16, 2020 7:56 pm

I've been politely asked to remove all posts regarding Tim Cluess' current medical condition. Thanks !
le
Purple Eagle

Postby jhart » Mon Mar 16, 2020 7:59 pm

Get that prior post off the site immediately...totally wrong info on Cluess.
jhart
Purple Eagle

Postby le » Mon Mar 16, 2020 8:07 pm

le
Purple Eagle

Postby efkay2u » Mon Mar 16, 2020 10:50 pm

Great article on Pitino AND the Fall of the MAAC out of relevancy

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/5-biggest- ... 32931.html
efkay2u
Purple Eagle

Postby le » Tue Mar 17, 2020 9:46 am

Good read efkay. Here are the main talking points :

The cash register will also be ringing at Iona, too. Pitino’s arrival will mean bigger crowds, exponentially more attention and television exposure. (It’s hard to imagine Pitino not returning to Madison Square Garden next season.)

Pitino’s presence presents unprecedented opportunities for exposure for the league. Is it well positioned to exploit them?
le
Purple Eagle

Postby le » Tue Mar 17, 2020 10:42 am

Lots of BUZZ surrounding the RP hire by Iona; ESPN interviews, SI splash, WFAN interview etc...Rick P says Iona can become the Zaga of the East. Who becomes Saint Mary's ? Siena, Niagara ? Valid questions.

I'm on the fence because he is obviously of questionable character, but the MAAC really needs a lift after slipping in stature in recent years. This could be the turning point for the league, or another embarrassment if he regresses once again.

https://www.newsday.com/sports/college/ ... 1.43216205

https://ionahoops.proboards.com/thread/ ... no?page=15
le
Purple Eagle

Re: Rick Pitino to Iona / Zaga of the East ?

Postby le » Tue Mar 17, 2020 10:49 am

More on RP:

In line with his ambitions, Pitino told The ESPN Dan Patrick Radio Show that he would like to Iona face Kentucky at the Garden in the Jimmy V Classic, named for famous Long Island basketball export Jim Valvano.

IC BOARD: Just listened to Seth Greenberg on the Michael Kay show. Almost the entire discussion was re: Pitino & Iona. Greenberg said "Iona just made everyone's job in the Northeast harder; SJU, Fordham, etc." There was also lots of talk about how ESPN will want to televise games including Pitino's first one, how ESPN would want to include Iona in tourneys they are associated with, Iona getting games at MSG and Iona upgrading the schedule. Make no mistake, this is going to be EVEN bigger than so many Gael fans have dreamed about.

https://ionahoops.proboards.com/thread/ ... no?page=13
le
Purple Eagle

Postby MICKEY » Tue Mar 17, 2020 12:23 pm

If I had a dollar for every time I read about a small Catholic college in the northeast becoming the next Gonzaga I would be able to offset the paper loses I incurred in the stock market these past few weeks. With all Iona’s winning and a remodeled gym they only drew about 1500 fans per game. A thousand more fans at $20 only generates about a quarter of a million dollars over the season. Hardly enough to “buy” decent mid major opponents and MSG is way too big to justify Iona’s relatively small alumni base. The BigEast is the big boy in northeastern basketball and the return of UConn will only make it a bigger boy. The ACC and Big 10 presence in the northeast won’t make it easy either. What gave Gonzaga national recognition was the absence of late night sports programming. The number of schools in the Pacific Time Zone led ESPN to look to the Zags to fill a void. ESPN3 and Plus aren’t going to have the same impact.
In a world where sports reporters are starved to find something to talk about this is a big story. Come next November it will be the the Giants, Jets, et al. Not to mention election, election, election. Don’t misunderstand me, i’m not saying Iona and the MAAC won’t initially benefit from Rick Pitino, but in the NYC area most people won’t know the difference between Pitino, Paterno, or Palermo. Most will think it’s an Italian Restaurant somewhere in the Bronx.

BTW: Happy St Patrick’s Day!
MICKEY
Purple Eagle

Postby phillyeagle » Tue Mar 17, 2020 6:18 pm

Any waitress working the late shift at an Italian restaurant in the Bronx better be careful if Pitino shows up!
phillyeagle
Purple Eagle

Postby jhart » Wed Mar 18, 2020 5:08 pm

I hope none of the Arthur Avenue joints have a pool table in the rear!
jhart
Purple Eagle

PreviousNext

Return to NIAGARA SPORTS