Noah Waterman to transfer (Detroit)

Discuss Niagara Sports

Noah Waterman to transfer (Detroit)

Postby Suge » Fri Mar 27, 2020 12:08 pm

He has, at the very least, entered the transfer portal. Potentially a big loss. I didn't think we would lose anyone.
Suge
Purple Eagle

Re: Noah Waterman to transfer

Postby NuStudent » Fri Mar 27, 2020 12:23 pm

Just saw that as well. Damn. I thought he was going to be an excellent player for us. This one hurts
NuStudent
Purple Eagle

Postby MICKEY » Fri Mar 27, 2020 12:26 pm

Seems to me Planutis from St Bonnie’s should be on our target list.
MICKEY
Purple Eagle

Postby le » Fri Mar 27, 2020 1:32 pm

Not a good development especially since we have little if any size at our forward positions. I mean the kid played in how many games (6) and now he thinks he’s the second coming of Dave DeBusschere?
le
Purple Eagle

Postby anderson » Fri Mar 27, 2020 2:07 pm

My understanding is the kid was using NU like a judo and had planned to leave after 2 years. Now with the instant eligibility rule he leaves now. I don’t have confirm on this but his reluctance to come back from his ankle sprain was the knowledge that instant waiver free transfers were coming and he would have four years available for a high major.
anderson
Hawk

Postby MICKEY » Fri Mar 27, 2020 3:21 pm

Is he really a high major prospect? I think the coaching staff may of had an inkling something like this might occur and are recruiting accordingly.
MICKEY
Purple Eagle

Postby anderson » Fri Mar 27, 2020 4:04 pm

the lower tier power leagues are totally poaching this kid.
anderson
Hawk

Postby phillyeagle » Fri Mar 27, 2020 4:07 pm

This is why I did not want him to sit the rest of the season after the injury. The mid majors will get screwed when these kids have extra years of eligibility to move up to a higher rated program. Red shirting a kid at the mid major program does nothing but increases the probability of a transfer if the kid has any potential. Waterman has potential but he has a ways to go before he plays meaningful minutes for a top 100 program.
phillyeagle
Purple Eagle

Postby Eagle » Fri Mar 27, 2020 4:34 pm

This is very unfortunate and will reverberate among the smaller schools due to the marketing attraction of large schools.
Soon, many athletes will find that all that glitters is not gold.
While disappointed in Noah’s apparent decision. the real fault, IMO, lies with the NCAA and the major programs/ conferences (nearly all state schools with unlimited budgets) and their control of the NCAA. The AAU programs which are controlled by Nike, Under Armour, etc. are equally guilty in being, oftentimes, a poor influence on kids and their decision making. As a result, academics and character development is eroded.
I recall a post on the Bonnies board a few years ago regarding the debate on paying athletes with one writer saying “why doesn’t the NCAA first insist on giving the players what they have been promised and many never receive, an education?” Make sense to me.
Well, Noah has time to consider and it may not happen.
The real loss for many, however, will be character, and that can’t be bought. I hope he stays; Noah will have a bright future at NU and I would be surprised if he ever plays under a better coach for developing his skills.
Eagle
Purple Eagle

Postby Suge » Fri Mar 27, 2020 5:09 pm

I thought he was raw with some upside. His height with "guard skills" made him intriguing. He would have been a good, not great, player by his junior year. Not having to worry about size for the next 3-4 years with Waterman and Traore as underclassmen would have been awesome. Starting to feel bad for him. Seems like he got bad advice from some person along the way.
Suge
Purple Eagle

Next

Return to NIAGARA SPORTS