You Tube: 2005 MAAC Championship - Niagara-Rider

Discuss Niagara Sports

You Tube: 2005 MAAC Championship - Niagara-Rider

Postby le » Sun Mar 29, 2020 11:31 am

Here it is guys. The full video of the 2005 MAAC Championship game from the Marine Midland Arena in Buffalo. It starts at the 2.00 minute mark but just move the cursor video control back to 00.00 for the start of the game. A very proud movement in NU Basketball history.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HH8oJKIVOuM&t=146s

Niagara - Rider 2005 MAAC Championship game from the Marine Midland Arena in Buffalo, NY. Longtime Lasalle Assistant Joe Mihalich led the storied Purple Eagles back to the NCAA Tournament for the first time since 1970. Mihalich's 2007 squad also earned a NCAA bid against Siena College. Notable players from the 2005 team include: Juan Mendez, Victor Cruz, Lorenzo Myles, JR Duffey, David Brooks, and James Mathis.
le
Purple Eagle

Re: You Tube: 2005 MAAC Championship - Niagara-Rider

Postby MICKEY » Sun Mar 29, 2020 5:30 pm

Just watched it. I was not as nervous this time around. Seeing Joe’s mom brought a tear to my eye, may be more than one. I’ve passed the link on to Simon. Thanks Dave!
MICKEY
Purple Eagle

Postby le » Sun Mar 29, 2020 8:14 pm

Yeah Mick, it was very uplifting seeing JAM's Mom at all those games. I remember this game well although I wasn't in attendance. If we had been granted a "more favorable seed" in the NCAA's , I firmly believe this team could have won a game in the Tourney. Drawing a big Okie squad was death knell for this team. I remember watching the game in Hartford at an Irish Pub at Noon or 1 PM. We were never in the game, anyways it was a long lunch...Jerry Johnson and Jason Thompson were two of the better players in the MAAC.

I attended both of the games in Bridgeport in 2007 when we defeated Iona and Siena to capture our second MAAC Championship. I think you were there as well.
le
Purple Eagle

Postby purpleeagle5 » Sun Mar 29, 2020 9:44 pm

How wonderful it was to see the Niagara students storming the court at the end of the game. It really had a big time feel to it .
purpleeagle5
Hawk

Postby eagle80 » Mon Mar 30, 2020 9:56 am

This had to be the best Niagara team since the Calvin Murphy years in early 1970's.

Other notable teams that come to mind are the Brian Clifford teams under Jack Armstrong ( early 90's) . The underachieving Kevin Jobity, OConner, Piweka, JJ Johnson and Alvin Young squads in the mid 90's and the Joe Arlauckas 1986 NIT team led by Andy Walker.

The 2005 team had such outstanding size in Mendez, Duffy and Mathis. I believe Charon Fischer was either a freshmen or sophomore at the time. He was hurt during the MAAC Tourney.
eagle80
Purple Eagle

Postby Suge » Mon Mar 30, 2020 1:22 pm

Thanks, le. I was a student in these days. Only regret I had during my time at NU was not being there. A hometown kid getting to go to the school I loved since I went to my first Jack Armstrong summer camp as a kid. Being there would have been awesome. A couple of buddies and I had a tradition of watching the MAAC tournament at their rented house. After the way we lost to Manhattan the previous year, I couldn't bail on tradition. About halfway through the second half and the lead starting to swell, we were going crazy. One of my buddies grandfather lived next door. He actually was renting them the house. When the noise got louder, he called over to see how many people were there and if the party was going to end soon. There were only 5 of us. Still amazes me that the cops weren't called on us. We had just as much fun for the game against Oklahoma even though the end wasn't what we hoped for.

Probably unfair to compare teams, I still think that 2004 teams was better. Oklahoma was a bad matchup in 2005 but I think that 2004 team would have won a game in the tourney regardless of who they played had they not lost in the MAAC final.
Suge
Purple Eagle

Postby le » Mon Mar 30, 2020 7:57 pm

I'm having a hard team remembering the 2004 game against Manhattan at the then Pepsi Arena in Albany. However, I do remember Trammel Darden's poorly executed 35-40 foot jump shot for the win at the buzzer (it's on You Tube).

Suge could be right, the 2004 squad had James Reaves and Tremmel Darden along with the supporting cast of the 2005 team. Manhattan with Flores and David Holmes pulled of a NCAA first round win against Florida eventually losing a close to game to Wake Forest in the regional final. MC was coached by Bobby Gonzalez.
le
Purple Eagle

Postby purpleeagle5 » Tue Mar 31, 2020 10:04 am

When the noise got louder, he called over to see how many people were there and if the party was going to end soon. There were only 5 of us. Still amazes me that the cops weren't called on us.

Very amusing!
purpleeagle5
Hawk

Postby efkay2u » Tue Mar 31, 2020 11:39 am

The recall of the 2004 MAAC loss to Manhattan brings back sour memories of the 1993 MAAC Championship against the Jaspers in which Niagara started off on fire and ranup a big lead only to fritter it away in late 2nd half. If I recall Niagara led until the final seconds as the Kaspers took the lead and won. It was a painful loss and I was awake nearly all night reliving the game. It still revives a pain in the gut . Ironically Manhattan played Virginia at the Carrier Dome (a game I attended) and I kept on thinking how well Niagara would have matched up against the Cavaliers.
efkay2u
Purple Eagle

Postby le » Tue Mar 31, 2020 2:46 pm

1993 MAAC Championship against the Jaspers

I remember that game well in 1993. Jack Armstrong was very young at the time and was slicking his hair back ala pat Riley. The game was broadcasted on ESPN at 7:00 PM from the Pepsi Arena in Albany NY. I was a young parent with my wife was working nights as a RN at a local hospital. I recall either putting the kids bed early at 7:00 AM or at halftime so I could watch the game in peace and quiet (beer). Yea, NU was dominating the game until the last minute or so. I believe Kerry Edwards hit the winning basket for the Jaspers which devastated most of us. Niagara had a pretty talented roster with Brain Clifford, Dwayne Daniels, Ron Robinson, David Bertram, Reggie Moore and Tony Newsome. I remember thinking Fran Frachilla out coached Armstrong late in that game.

I "started" attending NU and MAAC Tourney games in Albany the following year with the family. I pretty much attended every NU game in the MAAC Tourney from 1994 to 2016 (Albany, Bport, Springfield).
le
Purple Eagle

Next

Return to NIAGARA SPORTS