LIU -D1 Hockey/ Saint Thomas to CCHA

Discuss Niagara Sports

Re: LIU -D1 Hockey/ Saint Thomas to CCHA

Postby Millsy » Thu Jul 30, 2020 1:03 pm

le wrote:Milly: What’s up with their rink? It’s D3 standards as it seats less than 1000. Any plans for a new rink or playing elsewhere ?

St. Thomas will be okay. They currently play in a rink that they share with St. Thomas Academy High School and it is a very nice D-III arena. I have seen seating capacity anywhere from 800-1400, depending on who is giving the information. There are very deep pockets in the St. Thomas alumni network and the school has a very nice endowment. Their football team will be playing in the non-scholarship Pioneer League, so that will also free up funds for athletic upgrades.

I would bet they will have a new arena in the very short future. The issue will be where as St. Thomas is landlocked by neighborhoods in St. Paul. Worse comes to worse, they rent a local high school/city run arena in the Twin Cities area as there are several that would have enough seating to meet CCHA guidelines (which if they follow the current WCHA, that would be 2500).
Millsy
Eagle

Postby le » Thu Jul 30, 2020 5:00 pm

Millsy. Thanks again for your college hockey insight on this forum. ..I wonder if Saint Tom’s would consider playing any league games at the NHL Wild facility , or their practice facility. Where is the Wild’s practice facility ?
le
Purple Eagle

Postby Millsy » Fri Jul 31, 2020 9:38 am

le wrote:Millsy. Thanks again for your college hockey insight on this forum. ..I wonder if Saint Tom’s would consider playing any league games at the NHL Wild facility , or their practice facility. Where is the Wild’s practice facility ?

The Wild practice facility is in downtown St. Paul, about six blocks from the Xcel Center. TRIA Rink (a local orthopedics provider) is actually on the fifth (top) floor of the old Macy's department store in St. Paul. Very nice rink, my daughter has played a couple of games there. It also hosts the Minnesota Whitecaps of the National Women's Hockey League, and the Hamline Pipers of the D-III MIAC, which ironically is the conference that kicked out St. Thomas. I believe it also hosts some high school games and beer league games. It only seats 1800.

I hope to get there this winter for a game as one of our billets from last hockey season signed with Hamline and they will be hosting Wisconsin-Stout, the team our billet from the year before is playing for.

As for playing at the Wild rink, I don't see it. I have heard the rent is pretty high for using the Xcel Center. Maybe if they play the Goofers or North Dakota, something could be worked out, but otherwise I would guess no.
Millsy
Eagle

Postby le » Sat Aug 01, 2020 10:43 am

Good news, NHL Playoffs start today.
le
Purple Eagle

Postby le » Mon Aug 03, 2020 2:12 pm

AIC and other schools are losing players to pro leagues. Not surprising .
https://www.uscho.com
le
Purple Eagle

Previous

Return to NIAGARA SPORTS