LIU -D1 Hockey/ Saint Thomas / CCHA announced/ Lindenwood?

Discuss Niagara Sports

Re: LIU Announces D1 Hockey / Is Navy next ?

Postby MICKEY » Wed Jun 17, 2020 6:53 pm

If Navy delays I think the AHA has to take LIU. The worst case scenario is we have 13 teams when Navy joins and we have 24 league games, two against each opponent. There are a lot of risks out there: nothing says a current AHA school won't elect to drop the sport; there is one school, improved on the ice, but financially weak as an institution and it could go away as a school or merge; CCHA could poach one or two or even three teams to bring their league up to ten members pending if St Thomas joins; HockeyEast could finally even their membership number and reach out to a current AHA or ECAC member causing a ripple effect. A combination of two or more is also possible.
MICKEY
Purple Eagle

Postby jhart » Wed Jun 17, 2020 8:23 pm

I believe all colleges maybe with the exception of the three major military academy's are hunkering down in survival mode and this is not the year for conference adds or deletes. There will be many schools that just close their doors or luckily merge.
NU restructured debt under new CFO in the past two years and our endowment is @$100mm.
NU is prepared to get through this global crisis which would not have been the case thirty years ago.
Indications are our freshman enrollment will approximate 600, less than expected prior to the crisis but more than financially manageable.
I expect students to return @ mid - August and the Fall semester on campus to conclude by Thanksgiving, with balance concluded online in December.
This would allow for a possible second wave as students would not return until the beginning of February for the Spring semester.
This is my unofficial expectation at the current time.
GO PURPS!
Stay safe and well!!
jhart
Purple Eagle

Postby le » Thu Jun 18, 2020 8:50 am

There are a lot of risks out there:

Yup. The AHA could lose membership based on a number of scenarios. I would think the AHA would offer membership to LIU if Navy continues to spin their wheels. UAH would be another possibility to bolster membership, but travel costs have to be a huge negative and concern for most AHA schools.

It seems as if most schools are planning on re-opening with an early closing by Thanksgiving. This country sorely needs sports as a diversion, thank God the PGA Tour has resumed for weekend viewing.
le
Purple Eagle

Postby MICKEY » Fri Jun 19, 2020 9:01 am

Looks like the NCAA is moving closer to giving the University of St Thomas the green light to move from Div 3 to Div 1. This should open the door for them to join the Summit League for basketball et al, and the new CCHA for hockey.

http://www.ncaa.org/about/resources/med ... di-members
MICKEY
Purple Eagle

Postby le » Fri Jun 19, 2020 9:48 am

Could this open the door for other small D3 schools jumping to D1 in "one" sport ? Saint Anselm comes to mind for hockey.

The NCAA is extremely hypocritical because they allow Clarkson, SLU ,RPI and Union to operate D1 hockey programs while maintaining D3 classification for all other sports.
le
Purple Eagle

Re: LIU Announces D1 Hockey / Is Navy next ? / Saint Thomas

Postby efkay2u » Fri Jun 19, 2020 11:10 am

I have always wondered how RIT gets away with Division 3 status except for Hockey. Endowmnet of over 938 million, nearly 20,000 students. Of course if they ever did go D one, they would have the whole Rochester market cornered. Could be the case for outsiders of being careful of what you wish for , it might come true.
efkay2u
Purple Eagle

Postby MICKEY » Fri Jun 19, 2020 1:00 pm

BTW, St Thomas is not a small college. It has about 10,000 students (6000 undergrad) and an endowment of over $500 million. Prior to the WWII it was run by the Fathers of the Holy Cross of Notre Dame fame. Relative to Div II and III schools, they make up about a quarter of all schools playing D-I hockey and have been grandfathered by the NCAA to do so since forever. If St Thomas joins the CCHA that will give the conference 5 schools west of Lake Michigan and 3 east. If they added two more eastern teams they could have two divisions, play teams within each division 3 times and the other division twice but alternate traveling to the other division schools every other year. It would save a lot of money and travel time. The three schools in the UP and Ferris might be close enough and might play home and home however. Ferris vs Mich Tech, not so much.
MICKEY
Purple Eagle

Postby le » Fri Jun 19, 2020 8:02 pm

Mick :

Translation please :

Relative to Div II and III schools, they make up about a quarter of all schools playing D-I hockey and have been grandfathered by the NCAA to do so since forever.
le
Purple Eagle

Postby MICKEY » Fri Jun 19, 2020 11:48 pm

There are about 60 schools playing D-1 hockey and about a quarter or so are in Div 2 or 3 for all other sports. The NCAA gave them permission to play up some time ago and grandfathered those schools at a point in time. I don’t know the year but I guess it was over 20 years ago. Since then no other schools have been permitted to play D1 hockey without being D1 in all sports. To my knowledge there are also D2 or 3 colleges still playing D1 soccer (Hartwick) and lacrosse (Johns Hopkins) today. I think the provision dates back to the time when there were very few schools playing those sports and the lines between divisions were not as pronounced. However, in order to play D1 basketball or football today all of your sports must be in D1. With Merrimack joining D1, I think Hockey East might be the only hockey conference without a D2 or3 school in it. The ECAC and AHA have 4 in each; Bowling Green is the only school in the current WCHA that is in D1 and Colorado College is the only non D1 school in the NCHC. So if I haven’t forgotten any or miscountered I think there are 18 non D1 schools playing D1 hockey. I hope I answered your question.
MICKEY
Purple Eagle

Postby le » Sat Jun 20, 2020 10:37 am

Yeah Mick, I counted about 17-18 schools. I just didn't understand what your "quarter "reference was in your original post. Right! it would seem to me if the NCAA is allowing "18" D3 schools to field D1 hockey teams, other schools should be permitted to do such as well.

Former D1 Nat'l Champ Hartwick went cheap about two years ago and downgraded their Men's Soccer to D3 status. Awful decision for a once storied program.
le
Purple Eagle

PreviousNext

Return to NIAGARA SPORTS