LIU -D1 Hockey/ Saint Thomas to CCHA

Discuss Niagara Sports

Re: LIU Announces D1 Hockey / Is Navy next ? / Saint Thomas

Postby MICKEY » Sat Jun 20, 2020 8:53 pm

After thinking about it a little more I think I left out St Cloud and Mn.Duluth so the number might be 20 or about 1/3
of all D1 hockey schools.
MICKEY
Purple Eagle

CCHA

Postby le » Tue Jun 23, 2020 10:09 am

If the NCAA is "serious" about expanding D1 Hockey, they have to consider allowing smaller schools to sponsor one sport at this level. The downside would be many schools could default to D3 in all sports but hockey. Let's see what happens with Saint Thomas and others.

It's official now, the new CCHA has been announced with a Commish.

https://www.collegehockeynews.com/news/ ... -Named.php

https://www.uscho.com/2020/06/19/in-joi ... n-schools/

The usual names came up as potential eighth teams — Long Island University, Alabama-Huntsville and St. Thomas.

The latter seems most likely, and Lucia acknowledged as such. St. Thomas was hoping to receive long-sought-after approval Wednesday to move its entire athletic program up to Division I. The Minneapolis-based school, which has had a solid D-III program for years, is in good position to be a solid CCHA member fairly quickly.

"They certainly would be a candidate," Lucia said. "They've got a rich tradition, academically and athletically. ... We'll keep our fingers crossed. Any time you can add a team it's a great day for college hockey."
le
Purple Eagle

Lindenwood

Postby le » Tue Jun 23, 2020 10:28 am

Former Saint Louis Blue Rick Zombo is pushing for Lindenwood to move up to D1. The Lindenwood Women currently have a D1 program.

Zombo thinks it can help take Lindenwood hockey to the next level. While the women’s team at Lindenwood has played at the NCAA Division I level since 2011, the men’s team still plays at the club level. Zombo would love to take the men’s team to the Division I level and take advantage of the increasing number of quality players coming out of St. Louis. He just needs the go-ahead.

“We just need a rubber stamp from the president,” Zombo said. “Our AD is doing the work already. Any time you’re starting out, the bottom line is going to be in the red. You’ve got to let the community know you’ve got a program. We just need a go-ahead from the people that write the checks.”

https://www.stltoday.com/sports/hockey/ ... b527c.html
le
Purple Eagle

Re: LIU -D1 Hockey/ Saint Thomas / CCHA announced/ Lindenwoo

Postby le » Tue Jun 23, 2020 10:38 am

Maybe 5hole or someone else can jump in here, but wasn't Lindenwood mentioned years back as the "savior" of the old CHA as their "6th member" to preserve the league?
le
Purple Eagle

Postby efkay2u » Tue Jun 23, 2020 11:03 am

Lindenwood was supposed to be the savior of the old CHA. Cha Men's couldn't hold on long enough, however they of course are playing Womens Hockey. That just hit me too that back in the CHA days Ohio State was planning to join the Women;s League also . I believe Niagara dropping out of compeition put the kibosh on their plan. There is a timeline of teams and their length of participation in the CHA in this link, I could not copy just the timeline of Women's Hockey, however (here we go) IF NIAGARA had kept their program the CHA would have had a nice little league back then with Ohio State and Syracuse in addition to the others. . https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/College_Hockey_America
efkay2u
Purple Eagle

Postby le » Wed Jun 24, 2020 10:11 am

Efkay: Thanks for the historical perspective on the old CHA Men's League. When BSU & UAH went to the WCHA coupled with Wayne State and Findlay dropping their D1 programs, the CHA was sinking fast and Lindenwood became the only hope to preserve the "Union" (CHA). Boy, I had forgotten about WSU and Findlay.

If you recall, the NU Women advanced to the Frozen 4 and then dropped their program due to lack of league affiliation. They probably should have stayed in the game as PSU and SU added programs shortly thereafter.
le
Purple Eagle

Postby efkay2u » Wed Jun 24, 2020 10:58 am

In 2002 Niagara Women hosted a playoff game against Quinnipiac at the Dwyer Arena. Based on that win they received an at large bid to the First Women's frozen Four. Niagara's program struggled a bit after that and was just getting their act together when the program was dropped.
efkay2u
Purple Eagle

Postby PurpleEagleAlum » Wed Jun 24, 2020 2:51 pm

I’m pretty sure our win over Quinnipiac didn’t solidify our at large bid, since they were a weak team at the time, but it did make for a fun senior night. It’s nice to know some people still remember our NCAA final four program, now if we could only locate that trophy and hang those banners where people can see them.
PurpleEagleAlum
Duck

Postby phillyeagle » Wed Jun 24, 2020 2:53 pm

Paid attendance was abysmal for the last few years. One problem was that the Women's team hired big name in Canadian Hockey to lead the program The problem was that she was always on leave for something besides coaching and promoting the team. NU is not a State school that can absorb those type of losses. NU had to cut its losses.
phillyeagle
Purple Eagle

Postby PurpleEagleAlum » Wed Jun 24, 2020 6:38 pm

Heard all of the assumptions as to why they canceled the program, but can someone enlighten me as to why the program isn’t even recognized for it’s accomplishments? The Men’s Club team has a better display of their banners.
PurpleEagleAlum
Duck

PreviousNext

Return to NIAGARA SPORTS