LIU -D1 Hockey/ Saint Thomas to CCHA

Discuss Niagara Sports

Re: LIU -D1 Hockey/ Saint Thomas / CCHA announced/ Lindenwoo

Postby efkay2u » Thu Jun 25, 2020 9:08 pm

Had a hell of a time trying to find more info on Women's Hockey, did find this article from the GAZETTE
https://www.niagara-gazette.com/sports/ ... 95d18.html

It is sad that the Women's Hockey Program is ignored save for the Banners well hidden on the wall of the Dwyer Arena. It looks like the history of Women's Hockey brief existence is condemned to fade away in the memories of those who participated and the in the fans memories, much like the Football program. For the life of me, I cannot understand why Niagara does not have an actual Athletic and Alumni Hall of Fame on Campus. I still remember the exhibits we had in the Gallagher Center prior to the renovation of the lobby.

Market the HOF as well as the Castellani Museum in the tourist brochures and maybe a couple visitors from the Power Vista or those riding the Tourist Shuttle which stops on Campus pop in for a visit. Could it hurt ??
efkay2u
Purple Eagle

Postby MICKEY » Thu Jun 25, 2020 9:27 pm

I thought the athletic hall of fame was put on a computer in the lobby of Gallagher or was that just for club football? The Alumni of Distinction Award recipients are honored on a wall in the Academic Center lobby. I was on the informal nomination committee at one time for that award but I haven't heard much about it lately.
MICKEY
Purple Eagle

Postby le » Fri Jun 26, 2020 10:55 am

For the life of me, I cannot understand why Niagara does not have an actual Athletic and Alumni Hall of Fame on Campus.

I didn't realize the NU HOF was removed from the lobby of the GC. The HOF should be on display somewhere on campus.

The Women's Hockey team advanced to the Frozen 4 in 2002 which was a TREMENDOUS ACHIEVEMENT. For the life of me, I cannot understand why this banner is hidden away in Dwyer Arena.
le
Purple Eagle

Postby PurpleEagleAlum » Sun Jun 28, 2020 5:36 pm

Hall of Fame put on a computer?, the women’s program had an NCAA trophy, national team memorabilia, and banners none of which are displayed for people to see. No idea when the trophy went.
PurpleEagleAlum
Duck

Postby MICKEY » Sun Jun 28, 2020 5:58 pm

Was the team ever inducted into the HOF as a group? Nothing would surprise me. Joe Mc Carthy is in the National Baseball Hall of Fame but not the NU Sports Hall of Fame because he didn’t graduate. Lou Gehrig and Jackie Robinson didn’t graduate their alma maters but they were the first inductees into the Columbia and UCLA Sports Hall of Fame respectfully.
MICKEY
Purple Eagle

Postby PurpleEagleAlum » Wed Jul 01, 2020 7:27 am

No, we’ve never been inducted in the hall of fame as a group like our male counterparts who once made the elite eight.
PurpleEagleAlum
Duck

Postby le » Wed Jul 01, 2020 8:20 am

Maybe a logical question to address with Simon. Lots of down time these days.

we’ve never been inducted in the hall of fame as a group like our male counterparts who once made the elite eight.
le
Purple Eagle

Postby Eagle » Wed Jul 01, 2020 11:02 am

It's a year late, but we should have the Bonnies-NU game in KeyBank honoring Murphy and Lanier, and their teams of 50 years ago...it would be a sellout.
Eagle
Purple Eagle

Postby anderson » Wed Jul 01, 2020 11:27 pm

Why would it be a sell out ?
anderson
Hawk

Postby MICKEY » Thu Jul 02, 2020 7:27 am

I think the only way that game sells out would be with a time machine.
MICKEY
Purple Eagle

PreviousNext

Return to NIAGARA SPORTS