LIU Announces D1 Hockey - Navy to Atlantic Hockey?

Discuss Niagara Sports

Re: NU HOCKEY @ NORTH DAKOTA

Postby Millsy » Thu Apr 23, 2020 9:40 am

NewEnglander wrote:Road route to Huntsville from Atlanta is quite long because of mountainous terrain. You have to almost take an L shape route more than 3 hours long. Nashville is much closer and due north less than 2 hours away. Birmingham, Al is even closer. Surprised that you didn't fly into Nashville Millsy on one of those trips seeing that it is much closer to Minnesota than Atlanta is.

At that time, Nashville wasn't really an option without some connections (this was back in the beginning of the CHA days when Huntsville hosted the tournament). We could fly from MSP to Atlanta roundtrip, nonstop for less than $100. Also, car rentals seemed to be cheaper in Atlanta than in Nashville at that time.

Now, with Southwest at MSP, that would make Nashville my preferred destination airport. I didn't even look at Birmingham at that time, and don't know if I would now with Nashville being a non-stop flight or one stop in Chicago. Birmingham would also require a connections somewhere, usually in Dallas or Atlanta from MSP.

We took the L shaped route (all interstate) from Atlanta to Birmingham and then up the Huntsville rather that cutting cross country through the mountains. Took us right around 3 hours, but that was by car and not on a bus. Looking back on it, I wish we would have cut cross country, but hindsight is 20-20.
Millsy
Eagle

Postby Millsy » Thu Apr 23, 2020 9:48 am

barry81 wrote:Hi Millsy,

I assume you are big Bemidji State fan.

Have you meet Nick Cardelli? Cards is a great kid. My son played midget and juniors with Nick and hopefully they will work out again this summer in Chicago!

Cards is a slick skater and always has a smile!

Yep, BSU grad and fan through and through. I have not been to a BSU game in two years though, so I have not met Cardelli. We have been billeting for our local junior team the last two seasons, and with my kids doing hockey, both of those have really cut into my ability to get to Bemidji for a weekend of games.

He is a really good skater. You should see the goal he scored against Lake Superior State this year. It is at Number 5 for top plays of the year in Beaver Athletics:

https://youtu.be/oWNDJX5dlWY
Millsy
Eagle

Postby le » Thu Apr 23, 2020 10:11 am

I live about 1 hour NW of Huntsville. The trip (2 hrs) from NASH down I-65 is very nice ride unless you are heading south between 4-6 PM during rush hour. Plus, you get to spend a few days in NASH which is a pretty cool city re sports, music, entertainment and booze. I was at the NHL DRAFT in downtown NASH last April , it was smashing success to say the least. 600k people in 2 days on the streets downtown.

Maybe with the growth in Huntsville, the airport will forced to expand operations. I read somewhere the number of carriers were increasing. The minor league team in Huntsville (Havoc) does very well in terms of attendance in the SPHL and have won several league titles . We were leaving a UAH day game in late February when the HAVOV fans were showing up for a 7 PM playoff game. I was literally shocked by the number of fans WAITING in the common areas at the Van Braun Center. I'm telling you, Hunts is a sports town! If UAH could put a competitive product on the ice, they would draw very well! The Havoc averaged over 5k a game at the Von Braun this season in the freakin SPHL !
le
Purple Eagle

Postby Millsy » Thu Apr 23, 2020 11:23 am

le wrote:I live about 1 hour NW of Huntsville. The trip (2 hrs) from NASH down I-65 is very nice ride unless you are heading south between 4-6 PM during rush hour. Plus, you get to spend a few days in NASH which is a pretty cool city re sports, music, entertainment and booze. I was at the NHL DRAFT in downtown NASH last April , it was smashing success to say the least. 600k people in 2 days on the streets downtown.

Maybe with the growth in Huntsville, the airport will forced to expand operations. I read somewhere the number of carriers were increasing. The minor league team in Huntsville (Havoc) does very well in terms of attendance in the SPHL and have won several league titles . We were leaving a UAH day game in late February when the HAVOV fans were showing up for a 7 PM playoff game. I was literally shocked by the number of fans WAITING in the common areas at the Van Braun Center. I'm telling you, Hunts is a sports town! If UAH could put a competitive product on the ice, they would draw very well! The Havoc averaged over 5k a game at the Von Braun this season in the freakin SPHL !

On my last trip to Huntsville, we stuck around after an afternoon UAH game and went to the Havoc game. It was basically a UFC match with some hockey thrown in. I just about got into a fight with a drunk Havoc fan when I started laughing about it and said "This isn't hockey".

Maybe the SPHL has changed since then, but that was the impression I got... Yes, they drew considerably better than UAH, but they also had the 7:00 time slot and served cheap beer.

I would love to get to Huntsville one last time, and tying it into a trip to Nashville would probably be the way to get the wife to buy into it. But with the kids in hockey now, I just don't see that happening.... :(
Millsy
Eagle

Postby barry81 » Thu Apr 23, 2020 4:02 pm

Millsy,

Thanks for the Cards hi-lite goal.

What junior team do you billet for?

JB
barry81
Duck

Postby Millsy » Thu Apr 23, 2020 5:17 pm

barry81 wrote:Millsy,

Thanks for the Cards hi-lite goal.

What junior team do you billet for?

JB

Alexandria (MN) Blizzard. They are an NA3HL team, so no one makes it to D-I, but we do have quite a few that go to D-III and Club Hockey. Our billet last year (we only had one last year as it was our first year) went to UW Stout and one of our billets this year is going to Hamline in the Twin Cities. Our other billet this year has one more year of juniors left and may be back with us if he doesn't land on an NAHL team.
Millsy
Eagle

Postby barry81 » Thu Apr 23, 2020 9:27 pm

Milsy,

Cool. I believe your NAHL3 owner also owns the St. Cloud NAHL team.

Your invite is in. Come join me when Miami plays at St. Cloud next year.

I enjoyed St.Cloud State, Saint Cloud and the Herb Brooks Arena.

Great college atmosphere at St. Cloud and all the NCHC stops.

JB

My son's billets in Bismark were the best and now great friends.
barry81
Duck

Postby Millsy » Mon Apr 27, 2020 11:47 am

barry81 wrote:Milsy,

Cool. I believe your NAHL3 owner also owns the St. Cloud NAHL team.

Your invite is in. Come join me when Miami plays at St. Cloud next year.

I enjoyed St.Cloud State, Saint Cloud and the Herb Brooks Arena.

Great college atmosphere at St. Cloud and all the NCHC stops.

JB

My son's billets in Bismark were the best and now great friends.

Hi Barry! Yep, same ownership group. They also own the Willmar Warhawks in the NA3HL. The St. Cloud Blizzard actually got their start in Alexandria, but then moved to Brookings, SD, and the Alexandria Blizzard became a NA3HL team. I believe that was around 2012 when that happened.

As for SCSU, I don't know if I will ever set foot in their arena again. As a visiting fan, I have never been treated as badly as I was on my last trip there. I was with a buddy of mine who had his young son with (7 or 8 at the time) and with BSU being the Beavers, we heard all the innuendos that go along with it. We kindly asked them to stop (it wasn't a huge group of people) due to the young kid with us, but it did not. I can usually take quite a bit, but that just left a sour taste in my mouth. It sucks because BSU has played in St. Cloud a few times, and will this season, and it is only an hour drive for my family (Bemidji is two and a half).
Millsy
Eagle

Postby Millsy » Thu Apr 30, 2020 5:08 pm

Long Island University announces that they will start a D-I men's program in 21-22 (the article says 20-21, the recruitment questionnaire says 21-22).

https://www.liuathletics.com/news/2020/ ... ockey.aspx

I did not see this one on the radar, but it makes sense as they started a women's team last year.
Millsy
Eagle

Postby NewEnglander » Thu Apr 30, 2020 5:36 pm

If true LIU would be a natural fit to fill out Atlantic Hockey with 12 teams. 6 East: SHU, AIC ,HC, Army, Bentley, LIU and 6 West: AFA, RMU, Mercyhurst, NU, CC and RIT. Only thing preventing it from being perfect is a travel partner matchup in the west, RIT and AFA.
NewEnglander
Purple Eagle

PreviousNext

Return to NIAGARA SPORTS