LIU Announces D1 Hockey? UAH disbands program

Discuss Niagara Sports

Re: LIU Announces D1 Hockey - Navy to Atlantic Hockey?

Postby le » Mon May 18, 2020 11:34 am

USCHO Part 3 ---LIU moving up to D1...Good to hear the NHL is considering a 24 game playoff season this summer.

Looking at the Long Island University hockey logistics: ‘I think I’m excited that folks are excited about us’.

https://www.uscho.com/2020/05/15/106410/
le
Purple Eagle

Postby Millsy » Fri May 22, 2020 3:47 pm

Reports are that Alabama-Huntsville will be axing their program at a news conference later this afternoon.

EDIT: Effective Immediately: https://www.uscho.com/2020/05/22/breaki ... mediately/
Millsy
Eagle

UAH Ends Hockey Program

Postby MICKEY » Fri May 22, 2020 5:44 pm

The announcement was made. The players and coaches should just transfer as a group to LIU. Seriously, this is a sad day for not only those associated with the UAH program but for all of college hockey. I assume players can transfer without sitting out a year.
MICKEY
Purple Eagle

Postby le » Fri May 22, 2020 8:58 pm

Sad day indeed. No college hockey for me now.
le
Purple Eagle

Postby Eagle » Sat May 23, 2020 4:17 am

The announcement was made. The players and coaches should just transfer as a group to LIU. Seriously, this is a sad day for not only those associated with the UAH program but for all of college hockey. I assume players can transfer without sitting out a year.

Very interesting idea!
Eagle
Purple Eagle

Postby MICKEY » Sat May 23, 2020 6:31 am

There wouldn’t be much of a culture shock moving from Huntsville to Long Guyland!
MICKEY
Purple Eagle

Postby le » Sat May 23, 2020 8:11 am

I can proudly say I attended the last D1 game at UAH.
le
Purple Eagle

Postby le » Tue May 26, 2020 9:43 am

Some good quotes from the College Hockey news. Too bad the new "CCHA" teams would not consider them for the 8th team. Huntsville is such a growth area with many "Yankees" (engineers/high tech) living in the area due to the space industry, rockets and defense contractors...So this Covid scare has cost college hockey two programs; Navy and UAH !

CHN: So you think it could've worked?

UAH HC Corbett: I truly do. But part of the reason we're in the position we're in is because the CCHA group was questioning our commitment as a university. I came back to saying we wanted to be the eighth team. They said they needed an overall commitment and a standard. We don't know what that standard is, but we know what first class is. We were caught in the perfect storm, ending with the virus. And everybody is very apprehensive going forward how the world is going to be. So it's a bit of a perfect storm. But could it be done? It can always be done. I'm not an "it is what it is" guy, I'm an "it is what you make it."

It's a fantstic city. There's 6.1 billion dolalrs of construction going on in the city right now. They got done building a Double-A ballpark — the city is hoping it's going to open this summer. It's 85 degrees right now. I'm sitting in my backyard. It's a progressive city with a lot of money, the rocket city. If you're a young professional living in the city it's fantastic. It's a thriving city, a good place to live, 90 minutes from Nashville.
le
Purple Eagle

Re: LIU Announces D1 Hockey? UAH disbands program

Postby le » Tue May 26, 2020 10:32 am

Maybe the AHA should have reached out to UAH to "save the program" as many of the schools shared membership with the Charges in the old CHA. I guess all "good will" is now shot to hell even in college hockey.
le
Purple Eagle

Re: LIU Announces D1 Hockey? UAH disbands program

Postby Millsy » Tue May 26, 2020 11:05 am

Fans have announced a Go Fund Me page for UAH Hockey. If they can get $500,000 by the end of the day Friday, there is a matching donor that would make that total $1 million.

If the goal is met, what type of numbers will they have left for players? Players can't really be sitting around right now waiting to see what happens. They need to be out there selling themselves to see if they can latch on with another program, whether it is D-I or D-III. And with Long Island University looking to fill their roster, there are spots out there.

And what does this $1 million do for next year, and the year after?

As much as I want to see the Chargers survive, I am probably as skeptical as you are...... The school can't keep doing this every 10 years to them.

As for putting the blame on the new CCHA schools, these schools are mostly D-II schools that play up to D-I in hockey. It can no longer be their responsibility to keep programs that have budget/commitment from the administration questions like UAH, Anchorage and Fairbanks, alive. They have done that for seven years now and with the current budget and arena issues at the Alaskas and the perceived lack of commitment from the current administration at Huntsville, they decided it was time to look out for themselves and their bottom lines. The Big10 did it, the NCHC did it, the ECAC does it, heck, even Atlantic Hockey does it. But everyone feels it is up to those seven to give charity out to keep these three programs alive.
Millsy
Eagle

PreviousNext

Return to NIAGARA SPORTS