The Aud / Fairfield/Sacred Heart Venues

Discuss Niagara Sports

Re: The Aud / Fairfield/Sacred Heart Venues

Postby le » Fri May 08, 2020 9:43 am

Mick: Obviously, SHU has bigger plans than the AHA with their new 3,600 seat state of the art arena. One would assume they are targeting membership in the ECAC or Hockey East. It's a beautiful complex, but I don't understand why they are not considering a dual-purpose arena for basketball, since the Pitt Center is nothing more than a HS gym. How much does a wood floor cost ? It's clear to me that SHU is thinking "big time" in hockey and seem very content with their low mid-major status for hoops in the NEC.
le
Purple Eagle

Postby MICKEY » Wed May 13, 2020 10:09 am

The cost of a portable basketball court is under $150K. The portable baskets are about $20K. You need about 1000 chairs and risers for end court and side court seats, I estimate $250K. I don’t know the current cost of insulation and covering for the ice but I recall it’s was few hundred thousand . You also likely need equipment to move the floor and ice covering. So you are looking at a number between $750K and a million. Compare that to building a separate arena at $40 million and even with the cost of changing over one sport to another about ten times a season a dual facility makes sense, particularly if you have a dual rink complex and an existing practice court. I proposed doing that with Dwyer 20 years ago. In one ear, out the the other!
MICKEY
Purple Eagle

Postby le » Wed May 13, 2020 10:57 am

I proposed doing that with Dwyer 20 years ago. In one ear, out the the other!

Yeah, I don't know why SHU isn't considering a dual-purpose facility to accommodate basketball.

A dual-purpose Dwyer 20+ years ago would have solved a lot of issues going forward due to the functional obsolescence of the GC. I think I mentioned it to Mike Hermann at the time as well. I believe his response was based on financial limitations. To this day, he will emphatically state that Dwyer should have been constructed as a four sided arena from day one", not the phased in approach. The costs of steel and labor along with new stringent building codes doomed the phased in approach. Over a very short period of time (5 years), I believe construction costs more than doubled, if not tripled !
le
Purple Eagle

Previous

Return to NIAGARA SPORTS