The Dunleavy Award

Discuss Niagara Sports

The Dunleavy Award

Postby jhart » Sun May 03, 2020 8:35 pm

Named after a major benefactor from Philadelphia for over fifty years, I want to draw attention to the three recent awardees AND one more.
2017-Class of '67 - LTC Kevin Harrington (my CO in freshman year); Board of Advisors for six years
2018-Class of '70- Vincent Russo, well known as "Mickey" on our site
2019-Class of '69 Judith Q Ruse, Successful in clinical trial pharmaceutical field.

I'm putting up this post for our prayers for the 1999 Dunleavy Award Winner Staff Sergeant Richard F Chapdelaine, ,'49, who flew 35 missions in B-24's over Germany in WWII.
Chappy attended NU on GI Bill following discharge from US Army Air Corp in '45.
He served as an NU trustee and was a MAJOR benefactor for decades. Kevin is Chappy's nephew.
Chappy was my mentor when I went to Wall St months after my separation from Army in '72.
Prayers...Thank You!
jhart
Purple Eagle

Re: The Dunleavy Award

Postby MICKEY » Sun May 03, 2020 11:26 pm

For those that don’t know, the Dunleavy Award is named after Tim Dunleavy, probably one of Niagara’s most successful alumni. He was president of IT&T during the company’s glory days in the 50s thru 70s. At the time besides controlling communications thru out Latin America they owned Sheraton Hotels, Avis and a number of other industrial companies. They were America’s foremost conglamorite. He was one of NU’s first lay trustees along with Dick Chapdelaine and he was the lead donor for Dunleavy Hall, the first building on the campus named after a layman. The Dunleavy Award is awarded annually to an Alumnus for his or her long term commitment to the university. The year I received it (actually 2013) must have been an off year for the award.
Dick Chapdelaine is another highly successful alum, having founded the Wall Street firm Chapdelaine and Company. A long time supporter of the school, he was the major donor for the new Vincentian residence during the last capital campaign but turned down the university’s offer to name it after him. As Jhart mentioned he also supported St Johns and made a large contribution to their chapel.
I wish Dick well and pray for him.
MICKEY
Purple Eagle

Postby le » Mon May 04, 2020 8:49 am

Congrats Mick for your dedication to the University. Was it 2013 or 2018 ?
le
Purple Eagle

Postby MICKEY » Mon May 04, 2020 9:28 am

It was 2013, I can only think there were slim pickens that year. It was probably like the Baseball Hall of Fame, when the sports writers couldn’t elect an inductee they created veterans committees to find someone. I do appreciate jhart making me younger than I am, I was class of ‘68 not ‘70. Moving on on to other matters: when are we going to hear about another RECRUIT.
MICKEY
Purple Eagle

Postby le » Mon May 04, 2020 1:05 pm

Right, it would be nice to hear of a JUCO or 5th year 'big man" signing before most of the quality recruits commit elsewhere.
le
Purple Eagle

Return to NIAGARA SPORTS