LIVE NOW: Virtual event- Off the Court with Greg Paulus

Discuss Niagara Sports

Re: LIVE NOW: Virtual event- Off the Court with Greg Paulus

Postby le » Wed May 20, 2020 1:15 pm

I remember NU playing early home games against Gannon and Damien when I was at NU during the late 70’s. The D2-D3 games were played at the GC.
le
Purple Eagle

Postby MICKEY » Wed May 20, 2020 1:45 pm

In my era we played besides Gannon; Steubenville, Villa Madonna, Rochester, Buffalo State, Buffalo. At that time they were referred to as College Division schools while we were in the University Division. In the recent past these games were played prior to the regular season and now more and more schools are playing these games thought out the OOC season like they were in the “good ole days”.
MICKEY
Purple Eagle

Postby le » Wed May 20, 2020 1:54 pm

Right. Forgot about Buff State.
le
Purple Eagle

Postby Eagle » Wed May 20, 2020 6:04 pm

Yes, I recall playing all those games but it was balanced out by playing St; John's, Syracuse, Providence, Viilanova, DePaul, et al each year.
Eagle
Purple Eagle

Postby MICKEY » Wed May 20, 2020 7:01 pm

It was a totally different time then. There was one game a week on TV, the ECAC Game of the Week on Hughes Sports Network..there were no conferences in the northeast and there were likely under 200 schools in the University Division and virtually none in the south were integrated. Most football schools didn’t know what to do with a basketball. Catholic schools like Holy Cross, La Salle, San Francisco won national championships. The best personal example of how the game has changed is this. In my sophomore year at NU living in OD we had to watch a fuzzy TV picture from a Rochester station of a game because Buffalo stations didn’t carry it. The Game: Kentucky vs Texas Western for the National Championship.
MICKEY
Purple Eagle

Postby Eagle » Wed May 20, 2020 10:37 pm

Yes, it was quite different then, but it was different for all schools, and for basketball fans bringing in good teams packed the Student Center.

All teams faced the same changes; some stepped up and others didn't., and we had access to one of the east's premier arenas, the Aud. I recall scalping tickets there!
Eagle
Purple Eagle

Postby anderson » Wed May 20, 2020 11:24 pm

Guys why do we continue to have this talk of past. It is done and over with. Whatever the truth is it does not change the current situation. NU needs to understand its lane and be the best it can be there. Fighting for second in a middle of the road league.
anderson
Hawk

Postby le » Thu May 21, 2020 10:02 am

Agree. However, it's important to understand the history of the program and what could have been. After examination of the data presented, I'm reasonably convinced NU probably would've been extended an invite to the Big East if Frank had stayed another year or so. See the Layden thread.
le
Purple Eagle

Postby NewEnglander » Thu May 21, 2020 11:06 am

Suge wrote:Opened the season at home against Robert Weselyan last year. Played it just like any other game. Not that big of a deal. Schedule looks fine. Was hoping for more meat and potatoes about staff and recruiting but can't get everything you ask for. Guess we'll just wait for the ink to dry.

The Roberts Wesleyan game last year was an exhibition game just like these D2 games we are talking about.

Eagle wrote:New Englander, played under games rules with refs?

Most scrimmages are controlled, stopped with instruction, etc.

I think NU scrimmaged Philly teams with JAM, maybe Villanova?

Perhaps I should have said exhibition game not glorified scrimmage. Look at the schedule for last year. The RWU game has game stats listed and was under game rules with refs but it did not count as a game in any other way. Nothing about it went into the record book or won/lost standings.
NewEnglander
Purple Eagle

Postby Eagle » Thu May 21, 2020 11:40 am

NU needs to understand its lane and be the best it can be there. Fighting for second in a middle of the road league.

That's the whole point, NU's leadership has dropped the ball repeatedly and has not ever demonstrated a capacity to embrace critical thinking, IMO.

Programs grow, programs die, and most of that is due to leadership or lack thereof.

"Those that fail to earn from history are destined to repeat it"

Seems to me that understanding Niagara's history and our competitors history is fundamental to charting a clear, ascending path in all avenues..academics, athletics, planned giving, etc. NU's leadership been reluctant in the past and has insisted on stacking its boards with like-thinkers.. For example, there was a study done about 10 years ago on NU athletics with recommendations and it was never released because NU didn't like the findings of the consultants. The consultants may have been right or may have been wrong, but their findings were never discussed or debated, and that is the fundamental issue. It's the same at St. John's, DePaul and Niagara...what do they have in common?
Eagle
Purple Eagle

Previous

Return to NIAGARA SPORTS