Canisius College to announce layoffs facing $20 mill deficit

Discuss Niagara Sports

Re: Canisius College to announce layoffs facing $20 mill def

Postby jhart » Tue Jul 28, 2020 7:40 pm

When I got involved over thirty years ago w Harrington our endowment was $2mm and I said you're bankrupt unless you do..... The 1988 Campaign raising @$8 mm was a beginning with expense rationalization across the board.
jhart
Purple Eagle

Postby le » Wed Jul 29, 2020 11:23 am

Good job Jim. Thankfully NU is on solid footing and can absorb some of the negative financial impacts of Covid.
le
Purple Eagle

Postby MICKEY » Mon Aug 03, 2020 11:17 pm

Now it is time for D’Youville to make the news. It’s hard to judge who to believe in this story.

https://buffalonews.com/news/local/educ ... e-trending
Read the comments including the petition
MICKEY
Purple Eagle

Postby le » Fri Aug 07, 2020 12:20 pm

Lets hope a large number of these smaller schools can survive the economic downturn due to the virus.
le
Purple Eagle

Postby MICKEY » Fri Aug 07, 2020 6:50 pm

I read in a separate article D'Youville is refinancing about $40 million of their current debt at lower rates plus adding about $10 million more for a health science facility they are jointly developing with Catholic Health, which operates most Catholic hospitals in the area.
MICKEY
Purple Eagle

Postby phillyeagle » Fri Aug 07, 2020 8:19 pm

Health care majors are areas Niagara should continue to emphasize. The Galisano building already could use an expansion based upon demand. A secondary gift from Mr. Galisano as part of the next campaign would be a major coup for NU. Having said that, the discontinuation of the Nursing program in the late 90s was a Colossal mistake by NU from a strategic and alumni view. The good news was the eventual restoration of the program.
phillyeagle
Purple Eagle

Postby MICKEY » Sat Aug 08, 2020 9:06 am

I agree, I'd love to see NU expand it's health services curriculum. We currently offer an EMT certificate as part of our extension program. I suggested we consider taking it a step beyond and add a paramedic certification as well. Even consider a combining it into a BS in Emergency Health Services. May be even an MS with an advanced critical care certification. Many of the courses would overlap with the nursing program. I understand offering new programs requires state approval so offering a new degree or certificate does not come without a certain amount of justification and red tape. Dunleavy Hall was built for the nursing program and currently contains a relatively new lab used by the program which cost something in the $1.5 million range. It might make a good home for the "Your Name Here" Center for Health Care Studies. Expanding Golisano is a must, it was in the original plan and I hope they can find the money. interesting to read the comments on the Canisius board about their reliance on liberal arts programs leading to their problems.
MICKEY
Purple Eagle

Postby le » Sun Aug 09, 2020 9:46 am

Spot on Mr. Mick the Quick.
le
Purple Eagle

Previous

Return to NIAGARA SPORTS