New NCAA Scholarship Policy Approved / Saving College BBall

Discuss Niagara Sports

New NCAA Scholarship Policy Approved / Saving College BBall

Postby MICKEY » Sat May 16, 2020 6:56 pm

Some interesting chatter on the USCHO forum about Bowling Green dropping baseball and others going to regional competition in non revenue sports for the 20-21 season. One poster even claims conversations are going on between Big East A10 and Colonial Conferences about the idea. With each conference still hosting its own conference tournament for its best performers to determine College World Series or other NCAA tournament participants. If such conversations are going on they would likely include all conferences in the northeast not just those mentioned.

https://fanforum.uscho.com/showthread.p ... ckey/page3

Baseball is the most expensive sport after football, hockey and basketball with travel costs for about 25 players and staff. The key to cost reduction in all non revenue sports would be the reducing travel time, elimination of over night stays and limiting off campus dinning.
MICKEY
Purple Eagle

Re: Saving College Baseball et al

Postby MICKEY » Mon May 18, 2020 9:35 pm

Furman announced they are eliminating their baseball and men’s lacrosse programs.

https://www.thestate.com/sports/college ... 19861.html
MICKEY
Purple Eagle

Postby jhart » Mon May 18, 2020 10:13 pm

NU just built a new field and program is not going anywhere but forward.
The new track will happen.
This too shall pass as I increase my contributions.
NU endowment is sound as is our financial foundation, the best in years if not ever before.
Expenses must be cut but not at our core.
jhart
Purple Eagle

Postby MICKEY » Thu May 28, 2020 8:23 am

Here is an update on the recent status of college sports cutbacks as well as closures of colleges themselves.

https://hoopdirt.com/the-list-college-a ... ls-closed/
MICKEY
Purple Eagle

Postby MICKEY » Fri Jun 26, 2020 7:28 am

UCONN announces they are cutting four sports: men's swimming, cross country, tennis; and women's rowing. Now all they need to do cut back football to the FCS level like it belonged all the time and they MAY get their expenses under control. They are currently running over a $40 million deficit. A new Governor might help also. (sorry, I know no politics)
MICKEY
Purple Eagle

Postby le » Fri Jun 26, 2020 10:45 am

Now all they need to do cut back football to the FCS level like it belonged all the time and they MAY get their expenses under control

But how can one justify spending $100 million on their new stadium in Hartford for "FCS level" football ? The football program and CT finances are following the same downward spiral into oblivion. Check out UC's home football schedule at RF this season. Umass, ODU, Maine, Liberty , MTSU and Army. WOW !

https://uconnhuskies.com/sports/football/schedule/2020
le
Purple Eagle

Postby phillyeagle » Fri Jun 26, 2020 10:53 am

Mickey thanks for the update. I got my MBA from UCONN and try to stay up to date on the financial mess of their athletics. It is amazing that a State school can fund ever increasing losses as long as they did.
Even now, the articles indicate they plan to reclassify some of the value of existing scholarships to other programs at the school. I am sure that the full football scholarships in particular will be spread to scholarship programs to lessen the perceived impact of their Division One dream. This is just an example of another Northeastern state facing the consequences of its tax and spend policies. Who would ever retire in Connecticut with its taxes if one had options !
phillyeagle
Purple Eagle

Postby le » Fri Jun 26, 2020 11:09 am

Who would ever retire in Connecticut with its taxes if one had options !

I left 4.5 years ago for primarily this reason. People that don't reside in CT have no understanding of the tremendous tax burden in CT applied by the State and local governments.
le
Purple Eagle

Postby le » Sat Jul 25, 2020 11:52 am

Anybody aware of this new NCAA rule which should allow college sports with small scholarships to include merit and need aid without the extra funds counted towards the scholarship total ? This should boost smaller programs. I wonder if hockey is included ?

A new NCAA rule regarding scholarship aid expected to be approved Monday by the NCAA Division I Board of Directors.

The NCAA Division I Council of 32 conference representatives and about 18 other various conference and NCAA officials voted in the new rule on July 15. It allows sports with small scholarship limits such as baseball, softball, soccer and track to include need- and merit-based scholarship money with its athletic scholarship money without the extra funds counting toward the scholarship total. B

In the past, most need- and merit-based scholarship money counted along with the athletic scholarship money , shrinking the total. Now, other scholarship and financial aid money can be given to say baseball players for school even if it is combined with their athletic scholarship money, thereby allowing coaches to spread out the money among more players.

https://www.theadvocate.com/baton_rouge ... e5002.html
le
Purple Eagle

Re: New NCAA Scholarship Policy Approved / Saving College BB

Postby barry81 » Sat Jul 25, 2020 10:33 pm

This will help the large schools with plenty of financial aid to throw around. The practice is called stacking. Many lacrosse programs use this strategy heavily. Example, if a lacrosse player has a 3.0, we can give him substantial "academic aid" and save the lacrosse scholarship for another player. Certain schools do not "stack" scholarships, meaning sports scholarship (25%) and academic aid (50%) to give a player (75%). This move makes it all above board.
barry81
Duck

Next

Return to NIAGARA SPORTS