Robert Morris to Horizon League / NJIT to AEAST

Discuss Niagara Sports

Robert Morris to Horizon League / NJIT to AEAST

Postby Eagle » Thu Jun 04, 2020 2:06 pm

June 3, 2020
Robert Morris Considering Options to Leave Northeast Conference
By Alan Saunder

Robert Morris is a potential candidate to join the Horizon League in most sports, and has also been considering a move to the Metro Atlantic Athletic Conference, Pittsburgh Sports Now has learned.....

https://pittsburghsportsnow.com/2020/06 ... onference/
Eagle
Purple Eagle

Re: Robert Morris to the MAAC?

Postby MICKEY » Thu Jun 04, 2020 6:34 pm

From Niagara and Canisius’ standpoint, RMU joining the MAAC would be a positive and it would be even better if Detroit joined as well. I just don’t see the rest of the conference (sans Siena) likely signing on. Having to make only one western trip to play NU and CC keeps their travel costs under control. Adding an odd western team changes all of that.
MICKEY
Purple Eagle

Postby jhart » Thu Jun 04, 2020 10:35 pm

If Pitt is the west to folks, I went to the wrong school.
Basic training for us ROTC guys was outside of Harrisburg, an hour from Pittsburgh.
I attended a business conference there as an NU student.
Anyone want to know about the Cumberland Trail leading to the arches of St. Louis?
We love playing both men's and women's BB games there as well as hockey in our conference.
RMU is also a very good academic institution.
jhart
Purple Eagle

Postby MICKEY » Thu Jun 04, 2020 10:45 pm

Here is the Fairfield board’s take on Robert Morris joining the MAAC. Some what similar comments on the Iona site.

https://fairfieldstags.proboards.com/th ... -join-maac
MICKEY
Purple Eagle

Postby le » Fri Jun 05, 2020 9:30 am

ROMO would be a good fit for the MAAC based on academics and athletics. I don't buy into the "too far west argument".

RMU’s new UPMC Events Center, which opened in 2019, seats 4,000, which would be the smallest in the Horizon League.
Pittsburgh Sports Now has learned that Robert Morris has also been considering joining the Metro Atlantic Athletic Conference, and that as recently as this winter, the MAAC was seen by some in the athletics department as a better fit for RMU.
le
Purple Eagle

Postby le » Sat Jun 06, 2020 10:21 am

The "tea leaves" seem to be pointing in the direction of the Horizon League based on most press releases.

I wonder if Merrimack or SHU would have interest in stepping up a notch to the MAAC? Both have small "gyms", unless SHU's proposed hockey venue includes a court.
le
Purple Eagle

Postby MICKEY » Sat Jun 06, 2020 11:42 pm

Fairfield would be offended. Its bad enough Sacred Heart changed their address from Bridgeport Ct. to Fairfield Ct. but to be considered an equal would be something no Stag fan could accept.
MICKEY
Purple Eagle

Postby le » Sun Jun 07, 2020 11:43 am

to Fairfield Ct. but to be considered an equal would be something no Stag fan could accept.

Makes sense.

Merrimack during their first year in D1 finished a top of the NEC, but were ineligible for post-season play.
The Warriors play in a small band box on campus (Hammel Court). I guess they could play a few "up" games at the arena in Lowell. Merrimack finished at 20-11---1,500 for last game vs CCSU.

https://merrimackathletics.com/faciliti ... el-court/2

https://www.wgbh.org/news/local-news/20 ... jor-growth

https://northeastconference.org/standin ... ath=mbball
le
Purple Eagle

Postby NewEnglander » Sun Jun 07, 2020 2:13 pm

Problem with both Merrimack in the east and Robert Morris in the west is that they are both about the same distance out of the league footprint. Need to find a school somewhere upstate in NY or in northeastern Pennsylvania. Anything in the Scranton or Elmira area would be a good fit.
NewEnglander
Purple Eagle

Postby MICKEY » Sun Jun 07, 2020 6:30 pm

Most historic college conferences were created by like schools who wanted to share their strength. The MAAC was created by like schools who needed to share their weakness. It’s was a conference of schools that couldn’t or wouldn’t step up when they might of had a chance. It’s a cost containment League not a revenue (on and off court) driven one. Instead of looking to use the conference to find new markets either for the simple benefit of TV revenue or more importantly to find new students or reach out to alumni, they chose to look to cut costs. Several years ago when the MAAC was considering adding Monmouth and Qpac, I suggested we look to add Loyola Chicago, Valparaiso and Detroit instead, three faith based schools stuck into the public dominated Horizon League. Then split the conference into two divisions with NU, Canisius and Siena joining the new comers. Play in your division twice and the other teams once. It would likely be a draw with current travel costs and it would open up three major student recruiting areas. Well history tells us how that went.

To me the same applies now, give me exposure in western Pa and eastern Mass. I’m a metro NYC guy and Manhattan, Fairfield, St Peters and even Iona rarely get a mention on radio or print. I assume the two Jersey schools and Marist in the Hudson Valley gets some coverage. What makes me laugh is when Fairfield fans talk about the Patriot, or Colonial Leagues or even joining the A-10 but traveling to Pittsburgh is a big deal. If one of the downstate metro teams left the MAAC and we picked up the two mentioned markets and/or even Detroit the school as an institution would be ahead in the long run
MICKEY
Purple Eagle

Next

Return to NIAGARA SPORTS