Robert Morris to Horizon League / NJIT to AEAST

Discuss Niagara Sports

Re: Robert Morris to the MAAC?

Postby NewEnglander » Sun Jun 07, 2020 7:36 pm

Mickey, the Pittsburgh market would be a great get for the MAAC. On the other hand Merrimack would only pick up the Lawrence market not the Boston Market. Their hockey team is in Hockey East a premier Division 1 hockey conference but rarely if ever gets any Boston coverage. The Lawrence Eagle Tribune is the only media that gives them any coverage.
NewEnglander
Purple Eagle

Postby MICKEY » Sun Jun 07, 2020 9:59 pm

OK, I’ll take Detroit and Robert Morris. Small schools need to find different conferences for non revenue sports. There was reference on the Fairfield board to a new eastern football conference including schools like Umass, URI, Uconn, Charlotte, Old Dominion, may be Temple. Anyone hear anything about it?
MICKEY
Purple Eagle

Postby le » Mon Jun 08, 2020 10:05 am

Ensor always talked about the expanding into the New England market. See the old Holy Cross threads and his decision to bring to the MAAC to Springfield. Merrimack is on the big UP with regards to enrollment, sports and academics. If the Warriors had a better venue, they would be an attractive addition to the MAAC.

Umass, URI, Uconn, Charlotte, Old Dominion, may be Temple. Anyone hear anything about it?

June 2019 article:

http://forgotten5.com/2019/07/07/uconn- ... ingenuity/
le
Purple Eagle

Postby phillyeagle » Mon Jun 08, 2020 2:51 pm

I have seen Nothing in the Philly papers about Temple joining a conference like this. Temple believes they are destined for bigger times. They have not yet dropped their plans for their own stadium next to the campus in North Philly although community opposition makes this dream far fetched.
UCONN football is the school without a home or a future. Joining the Big East will revive basketball but just drives another nail into the football program. If they were not a State school, this fraud of UCONN eventually being a big football power would have been exposed much earlier. This shows the smarts at Villanova when 20+ years ago they revived football but decided at the lower level saving big money for the other sports.
phillyeagle
Purple Eagle

Postby le » Tue Jun 09, 2020 10:00 am

Philly: I tend to agree, UC Football reminds me of a dead man walking. I don't understand their logic of dropping out of the AAC for football if they are truly committed to "big time" ball. The CT taxpayers should ask for a refund on the new stadium in East Hartford ($100 Mill). Honestly, what attendance numbers do they expect with home games consisting of MTSU, Liberty, ODU, IU and Maine ? Maybe they think they are on par with ND going Indy....
le
Purple Eagle

Postby msm29 » Thu Jun 11, 2020 2:19 pm

Robert Morris is joining the Horizon League, per Jon Rothstein.
msm29
Purple Eagle

Postby MICKEY » Thu Jun 11, 2020 6:09 pm

Good move for them. They have a natural rival with Youngstown and Cleveland State. Plus now the Fairfield fans won’t have to complain about traveling to uncharted territory.
MICKEY
Purple Eagle

Re: Robert Morris to the Horizon League

Postby efkay2u » Fri Jun 12, 2020 12:45 pm

That's going to leave St Francis (Pa) stranded out in the Western Wilderness.
efkay2u
Purple Eagle

Postby le » Fri Jun 12, 2020 12:59 pm

Yeah SFC PA in the NEC makes little sense with all the NYC Metro schools plus Bryant and Merrimack. I seriously doubt if Ensor has any interest in SFC.
le
Purple Eagle

Postby MICKEY » Fri Jun 12, 2020 9:35 pm

Apparently relatively new D-1 NJIT is moving from the Atlantic Sun Conference to become the tenth member of America East. The Newark school has a 3500 seat facility and an excellent academic rating.
MICKEY
Purple Eagle

PreviousNext

Return to NIAGARA SPORTS