Predictions for the 2020-2021 MAAC Season: Thoughts ?

Discuss Niagara Sports

Predictions for the 2020-2021 MAAC Season: Thoughts ?

Postby le » Mon Jul 06, 2020 11:24 am

Below are last year's final standings in the MAAC.

I know it's early and the world of college sports is totally upside down. I'd be curious where members of this forum find the current "state of the MAAC" for the upcoming season. The "MAAC Transfer Thread " has provided a comprehensive list of outgoing and incoming players. Here is my read. SPC, Monmouth, Rider, Manhattan and QU have lost a number of quality players due to the transfer wire. Looking at the "Top 7 teams" that received byes in the MAAC Tourney last season, only NU and Siena return the vast majority of their starters and quality depth. Iona signed a ton of new players including JUCO's , but there will be chemistry issues during RP's first season at the helm. Niagara added some size with the Longwood transfer (Cintron) and the 6'11 freshmen (Traroe). Don't forget, 6'6 Kobi Nwandu will be in the line-up as well adding some size. He averaged 19 points and 4 rebounds at Lemoyne two seasons ago.

Siena will probably be picked to finish first in the MAAC with their roster largely intact from last season. I'm cautiously optimistic regarding NU chances. With all of the departures from other teams, I would place Niagara in the Top 4 along with Siena, Iona, Monmouth and maybe SPU or QU. Thoughts ?

STANDINGS:

Siena Saints
Saint Peter's Peacocks
Monmouth Hawks
Rider Broncs
Quinnipiac Bobcats
Niagara Purple Eagles
Iona Gaels
Jaspers
Fairfield Stags
Canisius Golden Griffins
Marist Red Foxes

https://www.espn.com/mens-college-baske ... _/group/13
le
Purple Eagle

Re: Predictions for the 2020-2021 MAAC Season: Thoughts ?

Postby 50YrFan » Tue Jul 07, 2020 9:47 am

Cintron looks to be not only big, he seems to be strongly built as well. Unfortunately he is a transfer and will sit out this season.
50YrFan
Purple Eagle

Postby le » Tue Jul 07, 2020 11:26 am

Woops my bad re Cintron. I thought he was classified as a 5th year senior. Well, we just got a little smaller. Anyways, I'm still bullish on NU by picking them in top 4-5 in the league.

No other thoughts? Everybody too busy working at home ?
le
Purple Eagle

Postby NewEnglander » Tue Jul 07, 2020 6:35 pm

GP has his system in place that the players bought into last season. It will be a huge plus to start the year with that already the pattern the players know. The only drawback will be that no one will be looking past NU this year after all the tight games they had with Niagara last year.
NewEnglander
Purple Eagle

Postby Suge » Wed Jul 08, 2020 10:44 pm

It looks like the MAAC is Siena and just about everybody else. Q'pac, Rider, Manhattan and Monmouth lost a lot and not sure they replaced it. SPC runs the entire team at you but they lost MAAC ROY to transfer and it is tough to replace 7 footers+, regardless of their talent level. FF and Marist seem to be rebuilding and Canisius is Canisius. Iona brought in a ton of players but we have no idea if they can play or if they can play together. Leaves us and Siena. My concern with us is we needed a lot to go our way last year to be middle of the pack. Having our core back is a plus. I can't see us not being in the Top 4. Top 2 isn't crazy either.
Suge
Purple Eagle

Postby le » Thu Jul 09, 2020 10:21 am

Yeah Suge, there were a ton of defections in the MAAC the last few months. Iona has reloaded under RP, but nobody is sure this squad can play as a team. I tend to agree, NU will certainly be in the "Top 4" if not higher. However, we don't know the quality of the of recruits Manhattan, Monmouth QU and SPU have brought in to replace their outgoing transfers. If Siena stays healthy, they are going to be a difficult out in the MAAC. Though, the Saints have lost some size with Elijah Burns and Sammy Friday due to graduation. Siena did sign two power forward transfers from Detroit Mercy and URI. Their eligibility for the first semester is in question.
le
Purple Eagle

Return to NIAGARA SPORTS