Rochester News

Discuss Niagara Sports

Rochester News

Postby ppittin » Wed Jul 08, 2020 6:21 pm

This morning I was watching Spectrum News (Rochester station). They did a really nice piece on Tahjae Hill and Niagara University. They interviewed both Tahjae and Coach Paulus and showed a few clips of Mr. Hill doing his thing. Rochester sports news has abandoned Niagara for a long time. I hope that things will change and NU will now get more local coverage. That would also help recruiting. I hate to see local kids go elsewhere when NU is less than 100 miles away.
ppittin
Pigeon

Re: Rochester News

Postby MICKEY » Wed Jul 08, 2020 6:51 pm

Probably the most famous Niagara basketball player pre Calvin was Al Butler. A graduate of Rochester's East High School where he was "All Everything". After his NU career he was a second round draft pick of the Celtics. He played for them and later the Knicks. That was an era when there were only 8 NBA teams. But probably the most famous Rochester alumnus is some guy who has his name on supermarkets all over parts of the northeast: Bob Wegman.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Al_Butler
MICKEY
Purple Eagle

Postby le » Thu Jul 09, 2020 10:25 am

They interviewed both Tahjae and Coach Paulus and showed a few clips of Mr. Hill doing his thing.

Let's hope Hill becomes a star at Niagara which would rekindle some interest in NU Hoops in the Rochester market.

Why Bill Wegmen was never cultivated by the NU Development Office is a mystery to me. I think he attended the NU Rochester Satellite Branch at the time. Thus, he never really connected to the NU campus, culture , sports etc...Just my assumption.
le
Purple Eagle

Postby ppittin » Thu Jul 09, 2020 8:06 pm

His name was Bob Wegman and I believe you are correct, he attended the Rochester satellite. I wasn't aware that NU had a Rochester satellite until recently. My father had a high school yearbook from 1930's with an advertisement in the back for the Niagara Satellite in Rochester. Bob Wegman was very generous to Catholic education. At one point he gave $43 million to the diocese for Catholic Schools and a similar amount to Aquinas High School.
ppittin
Pigeon

Postby le » Fri Jul 10, 2020 7:46 am

Bob Wegman was very generous to Catholic education.

I heard that he was a very generous guy. I never understood the disconnect between BW and NU. Maybe it was nothing, but NU at the very minimum should have honored him at some point for his career success.
le
Purple Eagle

Postby Eagle » Fri Jul 10, 2020 11:24 am

Like everything, there's more to the story re Wegman and NU....and it ain't favorable...

NU, IMO, should play Bonnies at Blue Cross each year over Thanksgiving. a win'win for both schools.

or maybe

Big Four Tourney needs to be stabilized as a given each year--6 year revolving commitment.
Even years: DH on Friday at Blue Cross with the Championship played at KeyBank Center on Sat under a DH , too. Sponsored by Tops
Odd years: DH on Friday at KeyBank with the Championship played at Blue Crross on Sat under a DH , too. Sponsored by Wegman's
Eagle
Purple Eagle

Postby Suge » Fri Jul 10, 2020 1:36 pm

Suge
Purple Eagle

Postby le » Fri Jul 10, 2020 7:26 pm

Hey Mike. Spot on when we return to some degree of normalcy and financial concerns facing most small schools are negated.

NU, IMO, should play Bonnies at Blue Cross each year over Thanksgiving. a win'win for both schools.

or maybe

Big Four Tourney needs to be stabilized as a given each year--6 year revolving commitment.
Even years: DH on Friday at Blue Cross with the Championship played at KeyBank Center on Sat under a DH , too. Sponsored by Tops
Odd years: DH on Friday at KeyBank with the Championship played at Blue Crross on Sat under a DH , too. Sponsored by Wegman's
le
Purple Eagle

Postby ppittin » Sat Jul 11, 2020 3:05 pm

Correction---Per Wikipedia, Mr. Wegman gave $25 million to the Rochester Diocese for Elementary education. I believe Aquinas received a similar amount.
He graduated from NU in 1941 and was in the Marine Corps in WWII.
It's never too late to honor a distinguished alumni. The school should invite his son or granddaughter to speak at 2021 Commencement and at that time the school could recognize him as a distinguished alumni. They (NU) doesn't even need to ask for money, just recognize to the family that they "want to do the right thing" and would like the recognition attached to having such a successful businessman as an alumni.
I'm surprised that the School of Tourism (TTT or whatever they call it now) has never reached out to the Wegman organization to partner in some type of collaborative endeavor. Wegmans does own restaurants both inside superstores and stand alone.
ppittin
Pigeon

Postby ppittin » Sat Jul 11, 2020 3:15 pm

Oh, since this is my original thread (?) I feel compelled to say something about a doubleheader in Rochester with SBU, UB and Can. SBU has a very strong alumni base in Rochester. They show up when SBU plays at the BCBS Arena.....Niagara has a large alumni base but, for some reason, they have not historically attended games with NU. Years ago Rochester hosted a Christmas BB tournament. U of R was invited (D3) along with 5 D1 programs. NC was here once and played NU (I think in a semi-final). Anyway, there were more NC fans than NU fans. NU brought hockey to BCBS arena against Cornell. NU alumni were few and far between---probably because hockey wasn't at NU when most of us old timers attended. But Cornell alumni showed up---rude bastards had cheers like "NU safety school".

Not trying to be a nay-sayer here. I do think your suggestion is worth a try, especially now with TJ Hill, a Rochester product, on the team.
ppittin
Pigeon

Next

Return to NIAGARA SPORTS