Discuss Niagara Sports

Re: Rochester News

Postby jhart » Sat Jul 11, 2020 6:13 pm

At 100 his estate is set
jhart
Purple Eagle

Postby MICKEY » Sat Jul 11, 2020 9:22 pm

Bob passed away in 2006. He was honored a few years later as one of Niagara’s earliest Alumnus of Destinction honorees. I believe his daughter was present at the ceremony. I had proposed we originally consider Wegman’s as the lead donor for the hockey rink. NU has a relationship with the Castellani family which donated the Castellani Art Museum. Armand Castellani was the founder of Tops Markets. His son is an alumnus and has served on our board.

Years ago Christmas holiday college basketball tournaments dotted the landscape. One was the Kodak Classic held in Rochester. TV was not a factor for college basketball back then and cities like Detroit, Buffalo, Rochester, Philadelphia, San Francisco and New York played host to the biggest and best of them. However my all time favorite name for a holiday tournament goes to “The Claxton Fruitcake Classic” played in Georgia near Savannah.
MICKEY
Purple Eagle

Postby le » Mon Jul 13, 2020 11:53 am

Pitten et al:

Regarding Cornell. We use to attend the old SIT Hockey Tourney in Syracuse in the late 90’s . NU won a couple of SIT Championships with wins over Cornell, SLU , Clarkson , and others. I’ll never forget when NU defeated Cornell in the opening round with a serious thumping over the Big Red. Hundreds of CU fans were in utter disbelief as the game went on with NU’s -total domination . We let them hear it while they were leaving with their tails between their legs. I do remember them rudely yelling safety school and reading their arrogant newspapers when NU was announced . It was a great time to be a Niagara alum!!!!!
le
Purple Eagle

Postby phillyeagle » Mon Jul 13, 2020 7:36 pm

Just to clarify some things. There is a plague honoring Bob Wegman in the entrance lobby for the new College of Business building. In addition, a senior person from Wegmans is on the Board for the Food Marketing Program, which been very successful addition for the Business college.
phillyeagle
Purple Eagle

Postby Millsy » Tue Jul 14, 2020 9:15 am

phillyeagle wrote:Just to clarify some things. There is a plague honoring Bob Wegman in the entrance lobby for the new College of Business building. In addition, a senior person from Wegmans is on the Board for the Food Marketing Program, which been very successful addition for the Business college.

Boy, that is a heck of a way to honor someone. I could see a plaque, but a plague? :shock: ;)
Millsy
Eagle

Postby phillyeagle » Tue Jul 14, 2020 2:01 pm

Wish I could blame an auto fill for the error. Glad I could add some humor to these tough days.
phillyeagle
Purple Eagle

Postby phillyeagle » Tue Jul 14, 2020 3:43 pm

Wish I could blame an auto fill for the error. Glad I could add some humor to these tough days.
phillyeagle
Purple Eagle

Previous

Return to NIAGARA SPORTS