NCAA HOCKEY SEASON TO BE DELAYED/ B10 to play, maybe PAC10

Discuss Niagara Sports

NCAA HOCKEY SEASON TO BE DELAYED/ B10 to play, maybe PAC10

Postby efkay2u » Thu Sep 10, 2020 9:12 pm

efkay2u
Purple Eagle

Re: NCAA HOCKEY SEASON TO BE DELAYED

Postby le » Fri Sep 11, 2020 10:17 pm

Yup keep everything shutdown. Can’t play with black masks on I guess.
le
Purple Eagle

Postby le » Sun Sep 13, 2020 12:30 pm

College football is underway , but college hockey will not be played? Isn’t the NHL in the midst of their playoff season ? This one doesn’t pass the smell test ... Good news, it appears the B10 May start up their season in October.
le
Purple Eagle

Postby Millsy » Mon Sep 14, 2020 9:25 am

le wrote:College football is underway , but college hockey will not be played? Isn’t the NHL in the midst of their playoff season ? This one doesn’t pass the smell test ... Good news, it appears the B10 May start up their season in October.

The NHL is living in a bubble in Toronto and Edmonton. You leave the bubble, you are done. To get in, you have to quarantine for 14 days in a hotel and pass a couple of COVID tests. Once in, you cannot leave, and if you do, you are done. Once in, you still have to pass testing.

The NFL has strict testing guidelines. All of this costs money, and colleges are not flushed with cash right now. The one proposal I heard for NCAA hockey was that each player would have to pass two tests a week, with one test coming 24 or 48 hours before a contest. Figure a normal hockey season is 21 weeks (with byes in there), that is 42 tests per player. Lets figure 25 players a team, that is 1,050 tests just for the players, not the staff. The cost of testing alone, without insurance is between $200-$300. Let's go low, so that would be a cost of $210,000, just on testing alone. Most insurances only cover one test, any additional are out of pocket. Now multiply that over all sports at a school, and the school has to shell out some serious $$$$.

I guess I would not try to compare the money that college hockey gets to the money the SEC and ACC throw at football. Hell, when the Alabama Board of Trustees can spend $100 million to add team space and some nosebleed seats to the Crimson Tide football stadium, but cannot find $2 million to keep the UAH hockey program alive, they will have no problem paying for the COVID testing for the football team.
Millsy
Eagle

Postby le » Mon Sep 14, 2020 10:15 am

There are smaller football leagues playing football as in the Sunbelt and Conference USA with far smaller budgets. The covid impact on fine tuned young athletes is minimal much like the common flu. I'll stop here.
le
Purple Eagle

Postby le » Wed Sep 16, 2020 1:02 pm

Big Ten football expected to return Oct. 17 with 8-game season. I wonder what the Michigan Guv will do, threaten a boycott.

https://madison.com/wsj/sports/college/ ... 433ab.html
le
Purple Eagle

Postby jhart » Wed Sep 16, 2020 4:48 pm

If I was a Big 10 school in a State with no fans and my opponent is allowed fans I would cut a financial deal with that school and play away!
jhart
Purple Eagle

Postby le » Wed Sep 16, 2020 5:52 pm

Maybe the PAC 10 will fold and compete at the club level in year 2030...

I'm going to a Conference USA football game on Saturday. I think they are allowing up to 10k in the stands. SEC in the 20-25k range less Vandy due to the crazy mayor.

Story on B10 :

https://www.espn.com/college-football/s ... -need-know
le
Purple Eagle

Postby Eagle » Thu Sep 17, 2020 6:54 am

Science is crazy?

"For me, it wasn't about political pressure, it wasn't about money, it wasn't about lawsuits, and it wasn't about what everybody else is doing," Schapiro said. "It was the unanimous opinion of our medical experts, as that evolved over the course of weeks."

If Northwestern's doctors were unanimous they need a new cadre of doctors.

Covid 19 is a public health issue, not an athletic issue, and the sober voice of Dr. Fauci, et al should rule the day, IMO.

Everyone wants a quick return to normalcy; the return of football and other sports must be based on science and fact, not hoaxes or unqualified politicians weighing in where they have no, 0, expertise.
Eagle
Purple Eagle

Postby phillyeagle » Thu Sep 17, 2020 9:10 am

A key for this plan is that the athletes will have daily testing with the antigen type test giving fast results. This costs mucho dollars though most students on campus do not have this available. If most Americans had accesss to this type, the problem would be solved. Waiting 5/7 days for a test result has proven to be a major impediment to getting this under control. Hope we learn something for future pandemics in our global economy/ world.
phillyeagle
Purple Eagle

Next

Return to NIAGARA SPORTS