NCAA HOCKEY SEASON TO START IN DECEMBER ?

Discuss Niagara Sports

NCAA HOCKEY SEASON TO BE DELAYED/ B10 to play, maybe PAC10

Postby le » Thu Sep 17, 2020 10:24 am

Sober Fauci, really ?

Dr. Fauci warned that campaigning was dangerous — then refused to condemn the MASSIVE "peaceful protests" which equated to rioting and looting.

Sorry Mike, this is ALL ABOUT POLITICS with him.

On to college football , let's enjoy some sports and return to some degree of NORMALCY ! The B10 is back, read and weep !

OSU COACH : "Football is back in the Midwest. Football is back in the Big Ten and that’s good for those young student athletes, those men who want to play and that’s good for all the student athletes at the college level. It’s good for the country. "

I don't need Fauci lecturing me about my "HEALTHY" 17 year grandson sitting out the 2020 hockey or football season! It's a "local " decision.

Pressure is mounting on the PAC10. Time to get out of the basement.

https://nypost.com/2020/09/17/pac-12-co ... -football-

https://nypost.com/2020/09/16/big-ten-v ... /reversal/
le
Purple Eagle

Re: NCAA HOCKEY SEASON TO BE DELAYED/ B10 to play, maybe PAC

Postby NewEnglander » Sat Oct 03, 2020 9:57 am

Back to Hockey on this thread. The ECAC will split their league in half with a NY division and a New England plus Princeton division. No crossover until playoffs. 4 games against each division member for a 20 game league schedule beginning January 2. No out of conference mentioned but door is open for that. However since Hockey will not start until at least November 20 there is little room for any of those with exams usually causing a long December break. https://www.collegehockeynews.com/news/ ... ision-.php Wonder if Atlantic Hockey follows that format. If so Niagara, Canisius, Mercyhurst, RIT, Robert Morris and Air Force. Then Holy Cross, AIC, Sacred Heart, Bentley and Army. I could see Air Force being a wild card and playing all 10 others twice each instead or maybe playing a road series one each against say Niagara/Canisius and Bentley/Holy Cross for an 18 game league schedule instead.
NewEnglander
Purple Eagle

Postby jhart » Sat Oct 03, 2020 12:55 pm

Students leave campus just ahead of Thanksgiving and any final exams will be online the next week.
Students return for Spring semester February 1st.
jhart
Purple Eagle

Postby le » Mon Oct 05, 2020 8:48 pm

No announcement from the AHC re scheduling?
le
Purple Eagle

Postby Millsy » Tue Oct 06, 2020 5:04 pm

It is being mentioned over on the USCHO Message Board that the WCHA most likely will begin their conference schedule January 1. Any non-conference games would have to take place in December, with practices starting Thanksgiving weekend.
Millsy
Eagle

Re: NCAA HOCKEY SEASON TO START IN DECEMBER ?

Postby Millsy » Wed Oct 07, 2020 2:05 pm

So it appears the WCHA will be a 20 game conference schedule. Play your rival in two weekend series, home and home. Play the other eight teams in a weekend series, four of those series at home, four of them on the road. Sounds like only one trip to Alaska will be needed as you will play either Anchorage or Fairbanks on the road, not both. There is room for non-conference games which could be against in-league opponents or possibly the NCHC. The last weekend of league scheduling is being left open in case any series need to be made up.

Sounds like the Big10 will be announcing a 28 game conference schedule that includes a scheduling agreement with Arizona State to even out their schedule with 8 teams. Teams will play the other seven teams in two weekend series, one series at home, one series on the road. All of Arizona State's games will be on the road, but they will be designated the "home" team for one of the series. No out of conference games for the Big10 this year.
Millsy
Eagle

Postby NewEnglander » Wed Oct 07, 2020 8:26 pm

Arizona State was taken advantage of by the B1G. 28 road games???? Making it safer for the other 7 teams they threw the book at ASU. Shame on the Big Ten.
NewEnglander
Purple Eagle

Postby Millsy » Mon Oct 12, 2020 9:37 am

NewEnglander wrote:Arizona State was taken advantage of by the B1G. 28 road games???? Making it safer for the other 7 teams they threw the book at ASU. Shame on the Big Ten.

It is about the only way ASU could get games with just about every league looking like they will be playing only league games this year, or if they have some non-conference games, it will be games that involve regional opponents for short travel, saving $$$$$. Also, it appears that this would be about the only way ASU would have a chance at the National Tournament (see next paragraph).

I have heard rumblings that the NCAA tournament will be filled with the champion and the runner up from each league for 12 teams. How they will decided the last four, or if they will stay at 12 teams for this year, I am not sure. But with very little, if any, non-conference scheduling, the PairWise rankings will be useless this year. Of note, I did read that the NCAA is trying to make sure that all tournaments do not cross the 25% participant threshold. With D-I hockey, that would mean a 15 team tournament max.
Millsy
Eagle

Postby NewEnglander » Mon Oct 12, 2020 10:10 am

Arizona State would not be eligible for a Big Ten spot in the NCAA as they are not eligible for the conference title. I understand how they would have trouble finding games but at least give them a few home games and not make them travel for every one and still not be eligible for the title.
NewEnglander
Purple Eagle

Postby Millsy » Mon Oct 12, 2020 2:05 pm

Maybe so, but a top two finish against Big10 competition and I could see the "powers that be" letting them into the tournament.

According to their coach, they did get guarantees of return trips to Tempe in future years. With their new arena supposedly coming to fruition in the next couple of years, getting the big name football schools to Tempe will help fill the arena.
Millsy
Eagle

PreviousNext

Return to NIAGARA SPORTS