SU over NU : The knee

Discuss Niagara Sports
le
Purple Eagle

Re: Scrimmage: SU over NU

Post by le »

A few did. A number of NU alums with military experience were very upset and have expressed their feelings to the Admin.
sidebandit
Pigeon

Post by sidebandit »

I'm not ex-military, but the Purple Eagles have now lost my allegiance. No longer care how their season goes or if they even get one in.
jhart
Purple Eagle

Post by jhart »

I expect all sports will be closed down within the next two weeks as the virus cases surge post Thanksgiving....January will be ugly over the world.
Prayers for all!
le
Purple Eagle

Post by le »

Many alums are upset with all that is going on. I agree, the fun and innocence of college hoops in general seems to be waning. Maybe the current Admin has forgotten that Niagara mandated ROTC for decades and Niagara vets have played prominent roles in the support of the University.
phillyeagle
Purple Eagle

Post by phillyeagle »

Niagara's alumni support can not lose any more shrinkage.. Hopefully the young men reflect on their actions and recognize the insult that they have caused to many.
purpleeagle5
Hawk

Post by purpleeagle5 »

"recognize the insult that they have caused to many."

I didn't realize all of the Boeheim's players stood and honored the flag and national anthem. I tend to agree this is an embarrassment for the school. This speaks poorly of their lack of respect for others that have sacrificed in so many ways. The school can ill afford to lose support and if these antics continue, all bets off.
NU1971
Eagle

Re: SU over NU : The knee

Post by NU1971 »

Not a good thing and not thought out. Wondering if there were a military veteran on staff if they'd allow this. I'm not a veteran but am currently the president of our community military support club. We aid & support Georgia veterans, active duty and families. Some veterans we have or do support are amputees. Some are homeless. Many have post traumatic stress (it's not a disorder, it's normal for combat). To take a knee before the flag and anthem shows ignorance of the sacrifice made by the men and women who served and those among them who died in service. Georgia is very patriotic and appreciates their veterans. As a transplanted New Yorker, I've come to appreciate that.
Men and women the same age as our student athletes come home missing limbs and eyes, become drug dependent and have a very tough time. The team should go to a VA hospital and visit the rehab areas, meeting their peers face-to-face.
Bugsy1975
Hawk

Post by Bugsy1975 »

My dad was a 24 year old U.S.M.C Lt. that fought in the Battle of Okinawa. Many in his Company were killed or mortally wounded in that horrible battle. In his words " they were just kids". This is a slap in the face to them, and all veterans. I'm struggling to continue my support of this team.
eagle80
Purple Eagle

Post by eagle80 »

I'm not a vet, however my Dad and uncles all served in WWII in combat . These spoiled brats have no idea what sacrifice means. As far as I'm concerned, anybody insulting those who served and spit on our flag shouldn't be allowed to wear the the Niagara uniform. Yes, my interest is diminishing. I don't know the coach but this reflects poorly on him as well.

The misguided coach should go as well :
The team should go to a VA hospital and visit the rehab areas, meeting their peers face-to-face.
le
Purple Eagle

Post by le »

Guys, I tend to agree with your overall sentiments. The disrespect displayed towards our veterans and our democracy (flag) is unacceptable behavior especially coming from a Christian sponsored school with a military history. The AD and coach should address these antics ASAP. Until they do, many of us are quickly losing all interest in the program. One poster nailed it, "maybe the coach and the kneelers should visit a veterans rehab hospital and face the people that have scarified dearly for this country".