SAT: Niagara 83, Monmouth 74

Discuss Niagara Sports
msm29
Purple Eagle

Re: Today at 4 pm, Monmouth (8-4) vs Niagara (6-9), ESPN3

Post by msm29 »

NewEnglander wrote: Sun Jan 31, 2021 9:41 am
jhart wrote: Sat Jan 30, 2021 6:46 pm Need more W's to gain 5 spot and avoid first round game.
Looking at the remaining schedule it certainly looks difficult to climb to 5th. The top 2 teams twice and Canisius twice. Probably 5 wins would be needed or at least 4 if 2 of those come against whomever ends up in first or second to help with a tiebreaker. The standings are slightly different if you look only at league games. I assume they will calculate the standings based on win % since there will be an unbalanced schedule.
Per the MAAC site book, if "any" teams do not get in 20 conference games, seeding switches from conference win percentage to total conference wins (10-10 would beat 9-3, for example).

Niagara would be tied for fourth right now under that rule. Simply by avoiding a pause, it may end up with a top-5 seed if programs like Iona and Canisius keep missing time.
NewEnglander
Purple Eagle

Re: SAT: Niagara 83, Monmouth 74

Post by NewEnglander »

All it takes is one team to not play 20 games to set that in motion. Given that Iona needs another 16 to play and is scheduled to play less than that it is most likely to happen. Iona cannot play Niagara on it's original scheduled dates as they will now play Canisius those days. It may not even be possible to fit Niagara onto it's already crowded schedule. So it is most likely conference wins becomes the basis for seeding.

Policy as released by the MAAC: https://s3.amazonaws.com/sidearm.sites/ ... eakers.pdf

jhart, is there an update we don't know about that moved the 20 game minimum down to 13 to keep win % as the basis? If so there is still a possibility someone may not even get to 13.
jhart
Purple Eagle

Post by jhart »

Suggest the 6PM Zoom call today with coaches for questions.
I believe I got my input from MAAC website.
NewEnglander
Purple Eagle

Post by NewEnglander »

I think I found the 13 game minimum. It is a 13 game minimum to qualify for the NCAA tournament. While a team may play in their conference championships they cannot qualify for the NCAA unless they play 13 games. That being said they likely would qualify because they would have to play 4 conference tournament games as they would not be a top 5 finisher with the current rules. So a MAAC team with only 9 games played before the tournament could qualify for the NCAA's.