B-Ball: Where do we go from here?

Discuss Niagara Sports
MICKEY
Purple Eagle

Re: B-Ball: Where do we go from here?

Post by MICKEY »

I think it is best to say all the old rules are out the window, at least for the time being.
Every player, not just seniors have an extra year of eligibility, If a graduate is not offered a scholarship by his existing school or wishes to not accept that offer they have the right to play at another school and is immediately eligible. I believe the 13 scholarship limit was lifted but I'm not certain of the new rule. Right now we have 13 players on scholarship and another committed for next year which would put us at 14 if no one leaves. I have to believe the coaches know the current guidelines. Almost every school except those with pro talent is in the same boat.
phillyeagle
Purple Eagle

Post by phillyeagle »

NU’s outside shooting failed in the last 2 minutes of the Iona game. I looked at statistics for the team posted on the basketball web site. Surprised that some of our “best” players actually had tough overall statistics.
Hammond. 33.6 % FG, 29.2 % 3 pt
Roberts. 33.8 %. , 36.5%
Solomon. 36.6%. , 34.0%
MacDonald 31.8%. , 30.4%
Nwandu. 43.8%. , 36.7%

Hammond seemingly had a tough year after a stellar sophomore year. Maybe he gets a pass because of the Covid interruptions but he probably hurt himself if he planned to move to a Power 5 school for his last year, like many kids do today. A winning team needs guards shooting near 40+/-% consistently.
Eagle
Purple Eagle

Post by Eagle »

https://verbalcommits.com/schools/niagara

3/15/2021 - 2019 PG Trey Syroka (5-10, 150, 2★) will be transferring.
numatt
Hawk

Niagara active in Transfer Portal

Post by numatt »

As per social media Paulus and his coaching staff have been very active in the transfer portal

They are showing interest in several D1 and D2 transfers including 2021 prospects

I expect a handful of NU players to transfer in the coming weeks

Who? That I do not know.

Here is some social media Niagara news over the last few days as per transfers

PVAMU transfer Jawaun Daniels @Underated_Waun tells us he has heard from USC, Oklahoma State, Loyola-Chicago, Creighton, Oregon State, St Mary’s, Ole Miss, UMass, New Mexico, FGCU, SIU, UVU, Fresno State, Towson, Rice, and Niagara since entering the portal

Grad Transfer Zeke Alley @Ezekiel_alley11 has heard from Portland state, UTEP, Montana State, Idaho, Southern Illinois, UCSD, Incarnate Word, Niagara, Bryant, and North Dakota the first day in the transfer portal

D2 transfer from Oklahoma Christian, Elijah Elliott (@e2shifty) has heard from Southern Illinois, UTRGV, Incarnate Word, Niagara, and Southern U.

He averaged 15.5 PPG this season as a freshman.

Nick Edwards (@swaggynick04) has now heard from Niagara university. D2 transfer from Glenville State.

UNC Asheville, Jacksonville State, Alabama A&M, Western Carolina, Charleston Southern, Incarnate Word, among others have reached out.

Gardner-Webb transfer Jacob Falko (@Jacob_Falko2) has told me that Towson, James Madison, Nicholls St, St Francis, Cal Baptist, Purdue FW, UMBC, Binghamton, and FIU have contacted him in the past two days. Montana State, Bryant, UIC, Niagara, Tarleton State, and Canisius are the latest schools to contact Falko, he has told me.

Averaged 9.8 PPG and 4.9 RPG this season.
MICKEY
Purple Eagle

Post by MICKEY »

Surprising all these players are guards. Considering all but one of our bigs are seniors or redshirt seniors you would think we’d be on the trail looking to replace them, if not for next year but the year after. Of course, this just the list we are seeing and they could be out there talking to bigs as well.
le
Purple Eagle

Post by le »

Agree, it's time to start recruiting some big men in the MAAC. See Iona's success in the MAAC. Lots of talented guards but the Gaels always have some decent talented big men upfront to compliment their guard play.
Eagle
Purple Eagle

Post by Eagle »

Guards, even good guards. are a dime a dozen...
Need athletic "bigs" to be competitive, and that, IMO, is where we should be focusing...'course this is no secret and all NU coaches know know that as well. Clearly, easier said than done...
MICKEY
Purple Eagle

Post by MICKEY »

I have a clarification on the number of scholarships permitted for the ‘21-‘22 season. The number remains at 13 however this year’s seniors are exempt from the number. What I don’t know is if the exemption applies if a senior transfers to another school or would they be counted as part of their new school’s thirteen. We currently have 5 seniors, 8 underclassmen and 1 signed recruit. So we have the capability of adding 4 additional scholarship players. However given all underclassmen have an extra year of eligibility it’s more likely we may add one or two unless you can find a grad transfer to play for just one year.