AHA: Robert Morris reinstated? / Pitt Steelers' GM resigned from RMU Board

Discuss Niagara Sports
le
Purple Eagle

AHA: Robert Morris reinstated? / Pitt Steelers' GM resigned from RMU Board

Post by le »

It's on the agenda," he said.

DeGregorio was asked specifically about Long Island University, which had a scheduling agreement with Atlantic Hockey, and Alabama-Huntsville expressing interest in the conference. Additionally, during the interview, he said that the league could consider expanding up to 14 teams.

https://www.collegehockeynews.com/news/ ... loring.php
    phillyeagle
    Purple Eagle

Re: AHA is considering expansion

Post by phillyeagle »

I do not understanding the League even considering Alabama Huntsville because of the cost of travel. Sorry money considerations need to rule. Maybe consider LIU but certainly save a spot for Navy.
    le
    Purple Eagle

Post by le »

AHA members fly to Air Force and LIU would be a LONG BUS TRIP, if not a flight. Many may not recall that UAH was a member of the old CHA League with Niagara, Bemidji State, Minnesota State, Wayne State, Air Force , Army and Findlay. UAH may be forced to disband in the short-term if the AHA does not offer them membership after being tossed to the wolves by the new CCHA (ditto 2 Alaska schools). I would expand to 14 teams offering invites to Navy, LIU and UAH.
    soccereagle81
    Baby Bird

Post by soccereagle81 »

I read that UAH is prepared to subsidize visitors travel costs when playing at UAH. I am hopeful UAH finds a conference. The subsidies will assist UAH's efforts to secure a conference.
    NUEagle
    Eagle

Post by NUEagle »

On another note, I think that it's a shame that the NCAA didn't pick another deserving school, such as Army, to replace Notre Dame in tomorrow's Albany Regional.
    le
    Purple Eagle

Post by le »

Ditto on that Mike. For such a small field,Army ,PC or Bowling Green should have been selected as “waiting teams “ just in case of deletions due to the virus.

John. Since travel costs have been mitigated what will their excuse be to deny UAH? Sorry , the excuse of additional travel costs is no longer legit because AF and LIU are just as expensive , if not more. Oh I know , lack of direct flights to Huntsville. Nashville is such a horrible place to fly into. A real shithole. Right.
    soccereagle81
    Baby Bird

Post by soccereagle81 »

Hi Le,

In my opinion, UAH would be a good addition to Atlantic Hockey. Frankly, having experienced college hockey. On road trips, the teams leave Thursday morning and stay in hotels, thursday and friday night. If realistic drive, most teams leave after the saturday night game and get back to campus sunday morning.
    Buffalo to Nashville flight and bus to UAH every second year is no different than going to Air Force. With college hockey's weekend series approach, travel is well managed.

For laughs, look at NU soccer schedule. The MAAC soccer schedule is nuts. I would think in soccer if you travelled to Iona on friday, NU would play Manhattan on sunday. No, they go back and forth. It is nuts.

In hockey, you travel 2 weekends per month at most.Typically, hockey is off one weekend per month and home and away is split!
    MICKEY
    Purple Eagle

Post by MICKEY »

le, I appreciate your support of UAH. Some would say they knew they were an outlier when they made the decision to get into D-1 hockey and now in troubled times they are dealing with the reality of their decision. They, like Arizona State and the two Alaska schools present a problem for the rest of college hockey. It’s not so much about the money but the time and inconvenience of having to play there. It’s not just about packing up your equipment, getting to the airport and clearing security. First, it’s about finding a flight (likely a connecting one also) with 25 available seats, renting a bus to and from the airport, than from the hotel to the arena and back. It’s about making airline connections in winter no less and waiting for the connection. I’ve flown into Huntsville commercial a few times via Atlanta, than gotten on a plane I don’t think held many more than 25 people and finally arrived about seven or eight hours after taking off from La Guardia. Huntsville is the reason God created corporate jets. The good news was the company I worked for owed the hotel at the airport so I didn’t have to go any further...they also had a corporate jet. Doing that trip from Buffalo is certainly longer and flights a lot less frequent. I can’t imagine how difficult it would be for Mercyhurst, Holy Cross, Army, even RIT. LIU is a simple 7 1/2 hour bus trip for Niagara, not much different than Bentley, or Sacred Heart so that makes sense. If Atlantic Hockey takes UAH I won’t complain, just don’t expect to see me at the game. Now if you want to get together in Nashville, that’s a different story.
    le
    Purple Eagle

Post by le »

I think soccer eagle makes some very good points Mick re the realities of college hockey travel. Most airports in the Northeast offer direct flights to Nashville ( Hartford , Buffalo , Bos , McCarthur on LI, Pitt , Cleveland and all the NYC area airports. As Soccer Eagle mentioned , Huntsville is merely a one hour ride from Nashville down I-65. What kid would not want to travel to Nashville on a Wed or Thursday night in the middle of freakin winter ? It’s very doable especially if UAH is offering to subsidize the costs of transportation . Does anybody on this forum realize that NASA contracted out with firms from Huntsville to build all the rockets for the Mercury, Gemini and Saturn space programs? All the rockets were designed and built in Huntsville . I’m biased because I live one hour north of UAH and would love to see the AHA play in Huntsville . Also, college hockey should be all about expansion and inclusion , not contraction like many of the Ivy and ECAC snobs desire . I’d make it a even 14 , let’s grow the sport and the AHA with the inclusion of UAH, LIU and Navy.
    le
    Purple Eagle

Post by le »

I received this from a very supportive Alum who use to travel with the team back in the CHA days when BM and Burky were coaching.
    I started going to the Niagara v UAH games early on and hardly ever missed one at UAH. It was always a good time. The players absolutely loved coming down ... several days respite (usually) from the much colder North. They would be able to get out and walk or jog the area ...and it was a nice area to do that, lots of old stately homes not far from the hotel/arena. UAH would be a good match for AHA. I hope the hierarchy there realizes that. It's an easy plane trip, a worthwhile "break" for the teams. UAH had a couple of rough patches years back with regard to the program's stability but made it through (with a whole lot of fan support) and I think is a pretty solid program now. Need to keep them for the good of college hockey.