Update on AHA June Meetings re expansion/ Lammers intereview

Discuss Niagara Sports
soccereagle81
Baby Bird

Re: AHA is considering expansion:Inclusion

Post by soccereagle81 »

Le and Micky: Totally agree regarding inclusion.Let's grow the game. Remember, NU is relatively young in the sport.If you add LIU and UAH that may strengthen AH. AIC was a doormat forever. With the right coach AIC, is now the beast. UAH did a great job of fundraising to save hockey. College hockey should step up and include new programs.
le
Purple Eagle

Re: AHA is considering expansion

Post by le »

Soccer Eagle John : Spot on !

NU use to jet to UAH, BSU , Air Force , Mankato and UNO. In addition, there were very long bus rides to Wayne State and Findlay. Obviously the configuration of 8, 10 or 11 teams HAS NOT enhanced the stature of AHA. Why not go to 12,13 or even 14 teams if Navy is ready to upgrade to D1.

There are currently 350 D1 men's basketball teams compared to a mere 51 in college hockey. So we should dismiss expanding college hockey due to excessive travel when a few years back many schools including NU were were routinely flying during the course of their conference and non-conference schedule ? Have we really all gone this soft ? Doesn't NU have a "renowned" Travel, Tourism and Hospitality school ? Seems like a very weak argument or excuse to me.
If you add LIU and UAH that may strengthen AH.
It's time for inclusion, not exclusion.
le
Purple Eagle

Post by le »

From UAH online:

stability. If UAH fails to join a conference, the hockey program will fold for good, as there are no plans to compete as an independent in the long term.

The new incarnation of the Central Collegiate Hockey Association, which will comprise of seven other WCHA schools and St. Thomas starting this fall, has told UAH it will not be considered. The only feasible option for the Chargers is the Atlantic Hockey Association.

As part of its pitch to join the Atlantic Hockey, UAH is offering $25,000 per series for each team that travels down to Huntsville over 10 years.

https://uahhockey.com/
Millsy
Eagle

Post by Millsy »

le wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 9:20 am AHA members fly to Air Force and LIU would be a LONG BUS TRIP, if not a flight. Many may not recall that UAH was a member of the old CHA League with Niagara, Bemidji State, Minnesota State, Wayne State, Air Force , Army and Findlay. UAH may be forced to disband in the short-term if the AHA does not offer them membership after being tossed to the wolves by the new CCHA (ditto 2 Alaska schools). I would expand to 14 teams offering invites to Navy, LIU and UAH.
Point of clarification, Minnesota State was never in the CHA. When they went D-I back in the mid 90s, they went right to the WCHA.
le
Purple Eagle

Post by le »

Just a few more details re the possible deal with UAH.

UAH Hockey: Cautiously Optimistic About the Future.
For scheduling purposes, the Chargers could potentially play an unbalanced schedule, should they be awarded membership in Atlantic Hockey, as a way to see every team come to the Von Braun Center at least every other season, while further reducing the time and travel burdens that this would impose for the more northern members of the league, like Sacred Heart. This would limit the need for teams to travel outside of the northeast, still give UAH plenty of opponents to play, and ensure that its fans see the entire conference take on the Chargers in Huntsville ideally at least every two seasons.

At the end of the day, Smith said that, for the current members of the conference that “it’s a bottom line conversation,” and also noted of a potential announcement his increased optimism in the past few weeks. The members have all seen Alabama Huntsville’s pitch, and should have a decision on it in a few weeks. The timeline to approve or deny the pitch has been somewhat delayed due to schools dealing with Covid-19 outbreaks that have come in waves over different teams.

This pitch, as John Buccigross first reported, includes a $25,000 per series subsidy for at least the next ten years to help all institutions defray the costs of coming to Huntsville. This per-series subsidy also includes all playoff series that UAH would host. With this being one of the biggest barriers to joining the conference, having the financial support, and institutional backing, combined with a plan to scale the revenue opportunities for UAH .
https://seamoresports.com/2021/02/03/ua ... he-future/

Also:
ATLANTA (Feb. 10, 2021) – Lindenwood University, located in Saint Charles, Mo., recently announced it will move their men’s hockey program to NCAA Division I in 2022-23. In May 2018, Collegiate Consulting, as part of a partnership with the National Hockey League (NHL), National Hockey League Players Association (NHLPA) and College Hockey Inc., completed a comprehensive hockey feasibility study for Lindenwood.

The study recommended a three-to-four year ramp up with a focus on conference membership in the Western Collegiate Hockey Association (WCHA). The projected annual budget for the program ranged between $1.4 - $1.6 million, which included 18 scholarships and three-person coaching staff. The men’s program would play at the 2,500-seat Centene Community Ice Center, which opened in Sept. 2019. The men’s program would join the women’s team at the Division I level.
http://www.collegiateconsulting.com/new ... n-i-hockey
MICKEY
Purple Eagle

Post by MICKEY »

As they would have said on the lower east side of Manhattan “oy vey Saint Charles Missouri, what a schlepp”!
le
Purple Eagle

Post by le »

I really don’t understand the Northeast “Provincial” opposition to expanding college hockey. At last count, there are 350 D1 hoop programs compared to only 51 in college hockey. What gives ? The AHA is so wonderful “as-is “ with all of their impressive NCAA wins , F4 appearances and OCC success? Not so . 5 hole , where are u?
jhart
Purple Eagle

Post by jhart »

I believe there are 60 D1 hockey mens program, some of whom shutdown this season due to pandemic.
MICKEY
Purple Eagle

Post by MICKEY »

I’m not opposed to expansion at all. It just amazes me that a school no where near any other school playing the sport would do it. Do you realize we are closer to Orono Maine (the furtherest Hockey East Team) than they are to all but one team in the new CCHA. Where do they find the money?
le
Purple Eagle

Post by le »

Lots of dough in Huntsville with NASA, Aerospace and all the DOD contractors. Research the Huntsville economy. I don’t think leagues today should be tied to the old “bus league “ rule. Part of this is about preserving a D1 program and allowing for college hockey expansion (inclusion) since the snobs in a few leagues refuse to participate . Last time I looked , the Northeast and Rustbelt were emptying out while the Sunbelt was exploding with population growth. How many NHL teams are in the Belt ? Saint Louis , Caps, Hurricanes, Panthers , Lighting , Stars. and Predators. So what do the established leagues tell LIU, UAH , Zona State , Navy and Lindwood? Get lost , there is no room at the Inn? I thought the message from many of these Northeast progressive schools is all about inclusion and equality. Practice what u preach !!!!