AHA: Robert Morris announces new fundraising / UAA Reinstated

Discuss Niagara Sports
le
Purple Eagle

Re: AHA is considering expansion

Post by le »

I don’t count imposters such as the Ivy League who place their selfish politics over sports programs .
le
Purple Eagle

Post by le »

MICKEY
Purple Eagle

Re: AHA is considering expans

Post by MICKEY »

I don’t understand why Atlantic Hockey has become the scapegoat in all of this. This all goes back to the crybabies west of Chicago who wouldn’t accept a hockey world without Minnesota and Wisconsin so they blew up the college hockey map. When the long awaited arrival of Penn State finally happened it made all the sense in the world to include the sport of hockey under the Big Ten umbrella. So I don’t blame them. The the action of a few to create their “super” league is what brought a lot of this on. The reality is they should be the conference UAH should be approaching. Their conference spans from Colorado to Ohio with a good number of teams dotting the map with small towns far from major airports. Why not just add another state and small town. What are they afraid of. Are they so high and mightily they can’t be seen on the same ice as UAH. That’s my opinion.
le
Purple Eagle

Post by le »

“ Are they so high and mightily they can’t be seen on the same ice as UAH. “. Agree Mick, the new NCHA blew all of this up which created chaos in the college hockey world. Blaise Macdonald was hoping for a B10 league in that he thought the CCHA would open up for expansion with the loss of the B10 schools. The complete opposite occurred. I don’t understand what has suddenly changed with the old WCHA schools. They were desperate for members when the new NCHA was formed , but now suddenly they want nothing to do with the Alaska schools and UAH. In NCCA hoops, new members are absorbed somehow by mid -major leagues . But not in hockey , it’s the opposite ——DUMP and RUN.
So we currently have several foster children in UAH , Zona State , two Alaska schools and possibly Lindenwood . Nobody gives a shit, let them burn.
Millsy
Eagle

Post by Millsy »

There is more to it than just travel. The WCHA schools that broke off to form the new CCHA did so because of the lack of commitment from the three programs.

This is the third time that Huntsville has either eliminated or suspended their program. Private donors always seem to come forward to save the program, but how many more times can the go to that well? The Alabama Board of Trustees doesn't want anything to do with a program unless it is Crimson Tide Football (one can look at Alabama-Birmingham football as another example). They just completed a $107 million football stadium renovation. UAH has been trying to show their commitment by getting an on campus rink built in the neighborhood of $40 million, but the BoT keeps pushing monies into Crimson Tide Football.

Alaska-Anchorage and Fairbanks were both on the chopping blocks a couple of years ago when the Alaska Legislature axed funds to the UA system. Anchorage moved from a City run facility that seats 6,000 for hockey, to a rink on campus in the Student Center that seats 750. Locker rooms are shared with the students and the swim program. It was so bad that Fairbanks played there once and could not get into their locker room until 90 minutes before game time due to a swim meet going on. Nothing unpacked, set up and ready to go. Anchorage was eventually axed and Fairbanks was to be the only hockey program in the UA system.

Fairbanks has issues with the City run facility that they play at as the ice plant, as of last year, was on it's last legs. The city has said they don't have the budget to replace it. The school has said they could move to their on campus rink, but it would be a move much like Anchorage made as far as a step down in seating and facilities.

Everyone always thinks it was the travel that was the issue, and yes, that was part of it. Why should one league take on three of the four outliers in college hockey? if the Big Ten Schools can do what they feel is best for them and the NCHC schools can do the same, why can't the seven schools that formed the new CCHA shrink their footprint and do the same? (St. Thomas has since been added and fits in the footprint) The money pots at these schools are shrinking and all of these schools outside of Bowling Green and soon to be St. Thomas are D-II schools in all other sports.

If anyone has the budget to take on UAH, UAA and UAF, it is the Big Ten and NCHC. But that isn't going to happen as they don't fit the "like mindedness" of the NCHC and they are not Big Ten members. And a conference of Lindenwood, Arizona State and the three UAs won't work, it is just too spread out. Travel would be worse than it was in the good 'ol CHA days.

As much as I would love to see these three programs survive, and especially UAH from a Bemidji State perspective and our history with them, there needs to be more of a commitment there from the higher ups.

It works for NCAA hoops because their are over 300 NCAA hoops teams. Conference footprints tend to be smaller and overlap with teams being closer together than college hockey, especially out west.
le
Purple Eagle

Post by le »

Millsy , I hear what u are saying but what should "college hockey" say to UAH, the two Alaska schools, Lindenwood and possibly Navy? There is no room at the Inn ?

I think it's different in NCAA basketball where leagues have STEPPED up to accommodate new programs who were struggling to find conference affiliation. The ASUN a southern league, stepped up to offer NJIT membership a few years ago, now they have settled into the AEAST. Loyola of MD didn't make sense geographically in the MAAC, but the league invited them back in the day. When UMBC went D1, AEAST stepped up and offered an invite even though they were a New England based league. Niagara attempted for years to "move up" to the ECAC, CCHA and HEAST only to have doors SLAMMED in their face. As did many others. I beg to differ, I still maintain that college hockey in general has NOT been very inclusive, but rather the complete opposite.
Millsy
Eagle

Post by Millsy »

le, I wish I had a good answer for you, but I don't. I am just dealing with UAH, UA and UAF and I think the big thing holding them back is the lack of commitment from the schools. What conference wants a team that the school could pull the rug out of at any time, as history has shown?

Yes, basketball leagues stepped up in those cases, but in all fairness, I don't think we are not talking about the same amount of travel involved in those leagues as we see in the hockey leagues out west. I remember when I went to watch BSU play their first NCAA Tournament game in Amherst. People were just in awe that we have to drive four hours from Bemidji to MSP to get to a "major" airport (yes, Bemidji, Fargo, Grand Forks and Duluth have airports and are closer, but the number of flights and times just aren't there and a lot of time are cost prohibitive). When BSU lost, we were going to run over to Worcester the next evening and watch North Dakota play and people were shocked that we were not going to get a hotel in the Worcester/Boston area and just drive back to our hotel in Amherst. BSU's closest conference road trip in the WCHA is Mankato at five hours. Now with St. Thomas in the new CCHA, the Beavers will only have to travel four for their closest contest. After that it is Michigan Tech at 7-8 hours, Northern Michigan at 10 hours and Lake Superior State at 12. Ferris State and Bowling Green run about 14 hours by bus. There is a reason we do Friday/Saturday series out west here. Travel can be a killer as UAH to Bemidji is 22-24 hours, and flying to Fairbanks or Anchorage can take a full day as well once you figure the time on the bus to get to the airport and the time spent waiting around in airports.

UAH's closest opponent is Bowling Green, which if I recall correctly, is an 8 hour bus ride. Miami(OH)'s program would be the only one closer. And traveling with a hockey team is not cheap as the typical traveling party is around 28-30 people (22-23 players, 2-3 coaches, trainer, equipment manager, etc.).

College hockey had the chance to step up when the Big Ten was formed. The WCHA and CCHA could have stayed intact and there would have been some wiggle room for expansion, UAF would had a home in the CCHA and UAA would have had a home in the WCHA. UAH could have been absorbed by either one of those leagues. Now that would have pretty much filled out the WCHA and CCHA leaving little room for expansion, but it would have taken care of those three. But the NCHC, specifically North Dakota and Denver, saw this as a chance to get out of the WCHA, where they would have been outnumbered by "small" schools. Because of this attitude, I don't see any way in hell they would take on UAA, UAF or UAH.

Sorry for the rambling post, I had a lot of things going through my head with this. :lol:
le
Purple Eagle

Post by le »

College hockey had the chance to step up when the Big Ten was formed. The WCHA and CCHA could have stayed intact and there would have been some wiggle room for expansion, UAF would had a home in the CCHA and UAA would have had a home in the WCHA. UAH could have been absorbed by either one of those leagues. Now that would have pretty much filled out the WCHA and CCHA leaving little room for expansion, but it would have taken care of those three. But the NCHC, specifically North Dakota and Denver, saw this as a chance to get out of the WCHA, where they would have been outnumbered by "small" schools. Because of this attitude, I don't see any way in hell they would take on UAA, UAF or UAH.
Millsy, you make way way too much sense ! Can you believe we are still talking about this together 20 years after the fact? We were continually discussing this when BSU and NU were toiling in the old CHA. The hope back then was for the eastern CHA schools was for the Big 10 conference to take shape, thus opening up numerous openings in the CCHA. However, the opposite occurred when the CCHA seized operations ! BSU immediately took advantage of the opp when the WCHA opened up due to defections to the new NCHC.

I'm not sure what becomes of the these four schools. My guess is unless the AHA changes their mind, UAH is heading for the moth ball heap.

Lindenwood to announce D1 status
Wachler said plans will go forward with or without a conference affiliation.

"We could go in and be independent a few years," Wachler said. "I wouldn't say it's the end all be all to whether we make the decision. That said, I'd prefer a conference if we had a choice. So we're working different angles. There are some opportunities out there. I've had conversations with the CCHA. They're not looking to expand currently. But we did have conversations about strategic partnerships, where we're able to get games. And there's a couple other options that could work out.
"

https://www.collegehockeynews.com/news/ ... Summer.php
le
Purple Eagle

Re: AHA is considering expansion/Lindenwood to announce D1

Post by le »

Just FYI:

The AHA is having their annual meeting in June, not sure of the exact date. At this meeting, the members are suppose to vote on possible expansion with probably two applications in LIU and UAH. I have heard nothing new on Navy pursuing D1 membership.
Millsy
Eagle

Re: AHA is considering expansion/Lindenwood to announce D1

Post by Millsy »

Whoa, I did not see this coming.... Robert Morris is dropping men's and women's hockey.

https://www.uscho.com/2021/05/26/due-to ... NiZVaEWRrQ