Purple Eagle

Re: Happy Easter...

Post by le »

Go Zags !
MICKEY
Purple Eagle

Re: Happy Easter

Post by MICKEY »

While I was watching mass from St Patrick’s Saturday night and listening to Cardinal Dolan going through the Litany of Saints I realized there are a good number of Division One schools named after saints, so having little to do yesterday afternoon I did a little research and this is what I found. There are 30 D-1 schools named after saints. Next year when Saint Thomas joins there will be thirty one and not to offend our hockey fans there are two additional D-1 hockey schools, Saint Lawrence and Saint Cloud. Yes there is a Saint Cloud, he dates from the sixth century from France. So I found thirty two. Then there are Holy Cross, Sacred Heart and Incarnate Word as well. Also there are Abilene Christian, Houston Baptist and Detroit Mercy. Yes hockey fans and Mercyhurst.
Now some of the the schools aren’t even religious, there’s: UC Santa Barbara, San Diego and San Jose State and Texas San Antonio. Likely they are named for the city they are in which is named for a Saint which begs the question, did the Jesuits name the University of San Francisco and Saint Louis University after the Saint or the city. You have to keep your eye on those sneaky Jesuits. Mary, of course has the most schools named after her, five though she has to share one with Saint Ignatius. St. Joseph has two, one in English, one in Spanish. The previously mentioned Saint Ignatius has three schools named after him as does Saint Francis Assisi not to be confused with St Francis Xavier who has one. There are two schools named after a Saint Peter but two different saints, St. Peter’s and Canisius. The same can be said for saints named John, one being St Jean Baptist La Salle. One more thing Siena is not named for Saint Catherine but Saint Bernardine.
Looking at it by conference, The West Coast Conference has the greatest number of schools named after saints six, not to mention that other religious guy Bringham Young. Now what conference is represented in tonight’s final basketball game? Well...is there a connection.

So, St Mary, St Joseph, Sts Francis, Sts Peter, Sts John, St James, St Clara, St Ignatius, St Bonaventure, St Bernardine, St Vincent, St Louis, St William, St Elizabeth Anne, St Anthony, St Barbara, Sts Thomas, St Lawrence, St Cloud and of course
Saint Aloysius Gonzaga, PRAY FOR THEM!
Eagle
Purple Eagle

Post by Eagle »

Though St. Lawrence University today is non-denominational, it was founded in 1856 by leaders of the Universalist Church, who were seeking to establish a seminary west of New England and were enthusiastically courted by the citizens of Canton....formed the same year as NU!
le
Purple Eagle

Post by le »

Very good research by Mick the Quick. I never knew St. Cloud was a Saint.

Wasn't the Marist named after the Marist Bothers ? No Saint Marist ?
MICKEY
Purple Eagle

Re: Happy Easter... Mick's astute analysis on Saints/Schools

Post by MICKEY »

The Marist Brothers were devoted to Mary and their name was chosen for that reason. Marist College is longer Catholic but there are still a few Marist Brothers on the faculty. They were included on my list of schools named after Saint Mary.
le
Purple Eagle

Post by le »

Fairfield U has a number of traditional dorms named after Saints:
Gonzaga Hall, Loyola Hall, Campion Hall , Jogues Hall, Regis Hall , Claver -Saint Pete’s Hall , and Kostka - Saint Stanislaw Hall. Mick, did u miss this one ; Franciscan University of Steubenville, Ohio.
MICKEY
Purple Eagle

Post by MICKEY »

I only looked at Division 1 schools. I imagine going beyond that would significantly increase the number of schools and might require a full forty days of Lent and not just a quiet Easter Sunday afternoon.
phillyeagle
Purple Eagle

Post by phillyeagle »

Gee, we must be all Covid bored out!
le
Purple Eagle

Post by le »

Gee, we must be all Covid bored out!
YUP, U can always watch boreball. NOT !