FROZEN FOUR/ UMass -How to win a nat'l title 101

Discuss Niagara Sports
jhart
Purple Eagle

FROZEN FOUR/ UMass -How to win a nat'l title 101

Post by jhart »

With 1 minute in 3rd at 4-4 St. Cloud scored from the blue line with a tip 15 meters from the goal.
Next Semi-Final is at 9pm, Mn Duluth v U Mass.
le
Purple Eagle

Re: FROZEN FOUR

Post by le »

That was one hell of a deflection in front of the net . One has to wonder if the outcome of this game would have been different if Minny State’s leading scorer had not gone down with a broken leg vs BC...In game 2, Umass is down their starting netminder and leading scorer due to the China virus. Watch #24 Jones for Umass, he’s a NYR draft pick. He reminds me of Brian Leetch. Lindberg has a 1.33 GAA for UMass .
le
Purple Eagle

Re: FROZEN FOUR

Post by le »

After getting outplayed for basically the last two periods, Umass beat NCAA Champ Minny Duluth in OT in an exciting finish. Minny’s top three lines were bigger and more physical but seemed to wear down in OT after mostly playing only 3 lines in regulation . ST. Cloud and Umass have never won a National championship game. ..The ESPN announcers indicated the four Umass players who were home due to Covid restrictions, will be tested today and should be in Pitt by early evening for the championship game on Saturday.
Three of the four Massachusetts players who missed Thursday's national semifinal due to COVID-19 protocols will travel to Pittsburgh on Friday in hopes of rejoining the team before Saturday's national championship game against St. Cloud State.

Leading scorer Carson Gicewicz as well as goaltenders Filip Lindberg and Henry Graham will travel to Pittsburgh on Friday. Sophomore forward Jerry Harding will remain out.
Saturday, Apr. 10
St. Cloud State vs. Massachusetts -7:00 ET
ESPN
Frozen Four Championship
le
Purple Eagle

Re: FROZEN FOUR/ UMass -How to win a nat'l title 101

Post by le »

I hope a few AHA coaches are taking a note from Greg Carvel's near miracle with the UMass Minutemen. They went from being the literal doormat of Hockey East to a national championship in 5 short years. I use to attend games at the Mullens Center in Amherst with less than 1200 fans in the stands who accepted a losing culture. Carvel had a vison and proved one can be successful with small pesky skilled forwards and most importantly mobile defensemen who can master possession and speed to overcome size.
Five years ago, the odds of UMass winning a national title seemed as remote as seeing a pandemic shut down the world. Back then, the Minutemen lacked a plan, lacked funding and were constantly one of the weaker programs in not only Hockey East, but in NCAA hockey. Usually these programs take years to build up, but with a plan in today's game, growth can come fast.
UMass gave him the resources to pull off his dreams.
https://www.collegehockeynews.com/news/ ... nation.php
Eagle
Purple Eagle

Post by Eagle »

Carvel had a vison and proved one can be successful with small pesky skilled forwards and most importantly mobile defensemen who can master possession and speed to overcome size.
So did Layden.
So did Blaise.

Paulus has all sorts of potential.
Jury is still out on Lammers but the potential is there.

We need to make a sophisticate investment in successful sports program and it's not happening yet.
How's St. John's and DePaul doing?
What does NU, St. John's, DePaul have in common?

"Keep do'n what you're do'n, and you'll keep gett'n what you're gett'n"....this ain't rocket science.

No reason why in five years we couldn't be in much better shape...noth'n out there 'cept opportunity....all we need is sophisticated leadership...

NUEagle
Eagle

Post by NUEagle »

3rd period, and especially OT, were night and day different for the short-handed Minutemen vs. their 1st 2 periods against UMinn-Duluth. And give credit to Murray who did amazingly well in his 1st start in between the pipes in nearly 3 months, keeping UMass in it and allowing the boys in maroon the chance to tie things up in the 3rd!
anderson
Hawk

Post by anderson »

Eagle please please stop bringing up the fraud that is Blaise McDonald. He gets a gig in HE with tons of resources and fails miserably. And his wonderful culture was exposed with DUI.
le
Purple Eagle

Post by le »

I dunno Anderson, BM took a "start up program" at NU and in a matter of four short years secured an at-large bid in the CHA along with a win over UNH in the NCAA's. I lost count of the wins his program had over established teams from the ECAC, HE, CCHA and WCHA. He had mixed success at UML with a couple of trips to the HE Championship game. You have to understand back during that time frame, BU and BC were dominating Hockey East in terms of championships and recruiting. Granted his last year at UML was dismal along with his arrest for a DUI. Hey , we all make mistakes and have weaknesses. I wouldn't described his D1 coaching career as fraudulent or a failure. I agree though, he had mixed results at UML.
Eagle
Purple Eagle

Post by Eagle »

Anderson,we disagree.
I believe Blaise's tenure at NU was outstanding and a combination of the "right guy" at the "right place,right time".
Granted he flattened out after leaving NU that but I would have, and might still, bring him back in a New York minute.
Rather harsh judgement on poor a decision, eh?