Discuss Niagara Sports
Eagle
Purple Eagle

Gazette Interview with 7 footer Obioha

Post by Eagle »

https://buffalonews.com/sports/college/ ... 40999.html 

7-foot center Harlan Obioha commits to Niagara University men's basketball
Rachel Lenzi Aug 5, 2021 

The Niagara University men's basketball team got a big commitment – literally, a sizeable commitment – for its 2022 recruiting class.Harlan Obioha, a 7-foot, 300-pound center from Hoxie, Kan., announced his commitment as a freshman for 2022-2023.

Obioha was an all-state selection in 8-man football and in basketball this past school year, and will play a postgraduate year at Rocky Mountain Sports Academy in Fort Collins, Colo.Obioha had football scholarship offers from schools including Arizona, Arizona State, Ole Miss, Indiana, Massachusetts and Iowa State. He also had basketball offers from at Kansas State, Grambling, Wisconsin-Milwaukee and Air Force. And, at 7 feet tall, he was also believed to be the tallest college football prospect in recent years.  After a great visit I’m blessed to say that I will be committing to Niagara university in the class of 2022! Let’s work💜🤍

🙏🏿 @Mr_Smothers @Greg_Paulus @CoachErvinNU🟣🦅 pic.twitter.com/1waHPrWiXJ— Harlan Obioha (@ObiohaHarlan) August 5, 2021Obioha averaged 21 points and 13 rebounds, and shot 78% this past season for Hoxie. Obioha helped Hoxie, a 2A school in northwest Kansas, reach the Kansas State High School Athletic Association state semifinals in March, and he was named the Kansas 2A player of the year by Kansas-Sports.com. On the football field, he was ranked as a 3-star recruit at offensive tackle by 247 Sports and the No. 12 prospect in Kansas in the 2021 recruiting cycle.However, Obioha didn’t believe his calling was in playing college football. Instead, he decided in June that he would reclassify as a 2022 recruit and focus on basketball rather than football, and that he would go to Rocky Mountain Sports Academy, +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++   

Hoxie grad, Harlan Obioha, announces athletic and academic future  
Jun. 16, 2021 at 10:09 PM EDTWICHITA, Kan. (Catch it Kansas) -

Hoxie is the home to one of Kansas’ most sought after dual-sport recruits, Harlan Obioha. At nearly seven feet tall and three hundred pounds, even after his high school graduation, Obioha had yet to announce his athletic future until yesterday.Standing about seven feet tall, offensive tackle Harlan Obioha towers over his teammates on the sideline at the 8-man all-star game.

Obioha said, “I don’t about before this game, but we still didn’t like each other but as soon as we got here, we became a family.”But after receiving several Division I football offers from Arizona, Arizona State, Iowa State, Ole Miss and more, this is one of the last times Obioha will be putting on the pads.ADVERTISEMENT“It’s going to be hanging out with these guys. Just putting in the grind with these guys,” said Obioha. “You know, we face them all year and then to come together to play with these guys, have fun in the dorms for a week, that was the best week of my life.”

Obioha is pursuing his love for basketball instead. Rather than accepting one of the many D1 basketball offers he’s received, Obioha will attend a prep school, Rocky Mountain Sports Academy for one more year of preparation before college.“It’s been my love forever. I sat down and thought about it and it’s what I love more and that’s just basketball,” said Obioha.Averaging more than 20 points per game on the court and scoring numerous touchdowns as a lineman, Obioha is an All-State athlete in both sports.Support this work for $1 a month
NUEagle
Eagle

Re: 7-foot center Harlan Obioha commits to Niagara

Post by NUEagle »

This is a HUUUUUUGE get for Niagara, no pun intended.
NU1971
Eagle

Post by NU1971 »

Wondering of the major conference schools will leave hm alone, or "stick around" to see if he changes his mind.
ClevelandEagle
Eagle

Post by ClevelandEagle »

There's gotta be a story here
phillyeagle
Purple Eagle

Post by phillyeagle »

I wonder if the plans by the Bigs are to let these type kids get playing time and develop at the mid majors. Then after their frosh/ soph year poach them when they are ready to contribute full time
jhart
Purple Eagle

Post by jhart »

If that's the new game then those poachers should have to compensate the damaged school...Sue for damages!
Couldn't resist!
le
Purple Eagle

Post by le »

His signing is under the original thread (Mike Meiller).

Seems like a “high signing” but there has to be more to
the story.
msm29
Purple Eagle

Post by msm29 »

Got to chat with Harlan and his AAU coach:

https://www.niagara-gazette.com/sports/ ... 17d12.html
le
Purple Eagle

Re: Gazette Interview with 7 footer Ibioha

Post by le »

In July, Obioha traveled to Atlanta with RMS for the NY2LA Best of the South AAU showcase. Obioha showed well enough to get some attention from Wisconsin, Marquette, Washington State and Virginia Tech, Coleman said, but Niagara kept on him.
Kudos to GP for snagging "Big O" against the likes of UW, Marquette, VTech and others. It's been some time since NU landed a quality big out of high school.
NewEnglander
Purple Eagle

Post by NewEnglander »

msm29 wrote: Wed Aug 11, 2021 4:40 pm Got to chat with Harlan and his AAU coach:

https://www.niagara-gazette.com/sports/ ... 17d12.html
This quote from your article, Mike, is a gem: "They had a plan for me," Obioha said of the NU coaching staff, which hosted him for a visit early last week. "... They showed me what they were going to do with me for four years and what plan they had and it's just something I really wanted to be a part of."

What a great way to bring a player in with expectations clear on what lies ahead. I seriously doubt many schools give such a clear picture to recruits instead they just engage on why their school is so great. I think that when others come calling Harlan will remember this and keep this vision to take Niagara to the next level.