NU 0-2 vs North Dakota

Discuss Niagara Sports
le
Purple Eagle

Re: Hockey is here!!!

Post by le »

NU opens up this Friday against North Dakota. I see nothing on pe.com regarding the ND game, the CC exhibition or an official preview of the upcoming season ? Makes no sense to me guys...

Anyways, there is a AHA preview up on uscho.com. NU is picked to finish 6th due primarily due to the offensive firepower lost with Stenlund, Billings and Cooley all moving on. I thought Billings was set to return for his 5th year.

https://www.uscho.com/2021/10/05/atlant ... -in-21-22/

NIAGARA
HEAD COACH: Jason Lammers (5th season)

LAST SEASON: 7-12-3, 3-9-3 (5th in the West Pod) in Atlantic Hockey

KEY RETURNING PLAYERS: Senior forward Walker Sommar (8-7-15), junior goalie Chad Veltri (2.60 GAA, .914 save percentage), grad student defenseman Chris Harpur (0-8-8).

KEY LOSSES: Forwards Ludwig Stenlund (second on the team in scoring last season), Jack Billings (3rd) and Eric Cooley (73 career points)

KEY ADDITIONS: Goaltender Jake Sibell (1.19 GAA, .952 save percentage for Aberdeen (NAHL)), forward Jay Ahearn (62 points in 52 games for Johnstown (NAHL)), defenseman Lars Rødne (played for Norway in the 2020 World Junior tournament).

2021-22 PREDICTION: So far, the Purple Eagles under Lammers have played their best hockey in the postseason, throwing out regular season records and storming through the playoffs, making the semifinals in their past two attempts.

Despite losing a ton of offense, Niagara can finish in the top half of the standings, or close to it.

Predicted finish: Sixth
NewEnglander
Purple Eagle

Post by NewEnglander »

I didn't realize that Stenlund moved on. I had hoped he would have returned to his freshman form and been the major offensive leader. Too bad. Looking at the roster there appears to be another major changeover in the roster which has not worked out well in the past few years. Lots of former players from other D1 teams that likely would not have played much on their former teams. Sometimes they do well when given the chance for more ice time. The most impressive thing I noticed is the size of the defensemen, most being over 6' and in the 200lbs. range. That bodes well for protecting the net along with solid goaltending. Scoring will be the challenge again. They need to win those low scoring games.
le
Purple Eagle

Post by le »

Yes NE, the size of our D is impressive. However, this size doesn't translate into many of our skilled forwards who are on the smallish size.
le
Purple Eagle

Post by le »

NU has three new transfers on the roster for the upcoming season from BU, Nebraska-Omaha and Alaska-Ank. I’m
assuming these three kids will be eligible to play this season based on the new NCAA transfer rule. These three should bolster NU in terms of maturity and experience on the ice after losing Stenlund, Cooley and Billings.
le
Purple Eagle

Re: Hockey is here!!! NU has 3 new transfers

Post by le »

Well, I found this much on pe.com. Tomorrow's ND game is on:

https://www.nchc.tv/schedule/event/467
https://www.nchc.tv/schedule/event/468

$16 single game pass.
le
Purple Eagle

Re: Hockey is here!!! NU has 3 new transfers

Post by le »

A quick preview re NU-North Dakota this weekend :

https://purpleeagles.com/news/2021/10/7 ... akota.aspx

Niagara returns 18 players from last year's squad, including forwards Walker Sommer and Ryan Naumovski and goaltender Chad Veltri. Sommer led the team in scoring with eight goals and had a team-high 15 points and Naumovski had a team-best 10 assists. Veltri compiled a record of 5-7-2 and made 385 saves on the season and had a save percentage of .919.
The Purple Eagles welcome 12 newcomers to the team, including transfers Alexandre Roy (University of Nebraska - Omaha), Albin Nilsson (Providence College), Olivier Gauthier (Alaska-Anchorage), Mike Faulkner (Hobart) and Jack DeBoer (Boston University).
Freshman goaltender Jake Sibell was named the AHA Preseason Rookie of the Year, becoming the first Preseason Rookie
le
Purple Eagle

Re: NU at North Dakota - Friday Night

Post by le »

Game day. — bump.
soccereagle81
Duck

Post by soccereagle81 »

ND 3 NU 0 : After the 1st.
Watching the PE on NCHC TV.
Gotta give credit to Jason: North Dakota, Penn State, Michigan and Notre Dame out of conference. Has to be the toughest out of conference schedule in the country.
NU is working hard. Good hustle, having a tough time get possesion inside the blue line. We had a few chances on our PP.
ND is loaded with studs and top notch transfers. Veltri is solid in goal. Stopped all first shots. First goal went in off a deflection and next 2 were rebounds.
soccereagle81
Duck

Post by soccereagle81 »

ND 5 NU 0 after 2.
NU played better. More aggressive with the puck and the forecheck.
ND is just loaded with NHL'ers. Jack Sanderson highlife reel goal for ND.

Proud of NU's effort!
soccereagle81
Duck

Post by soccereagle81 »

Finished 6-2 ND

NU had a good 3rd period. Outscored ND 2-1 in the third.
Skated and played quicker.

Should provide positive mental motivation for saturday night. The Ralph is a replica of the United Center in Chicago and seats 12,000 sold out every game.

Very proud of NU. ND announcers and ND coach where very complimentary of NU's program!

Go NU!